Home game tipping, more etiquette (1 Viewer)

ThrowBack

Two Pair
Reaction score
We play a $40 game where are usually 1 to 2 people fly back in. Pretty low stakes.

People rarely tip, but sometimes kick in for food, which is totally fine and my Burke we rotate house and people provide snacks and drinks often. Which to me counts.

Is tipping only approved of after the game or is it ever approved of during?

I showed up late to a game, where a host was down to his last few bucks so I threw some singles his way and another player did as well and he was really able to rally and come back.

I would never want people to get into feeling like they should feel bad if someone gets felted, or like tipping is necessary. But is this considered OK?

I think that's awesome! I'm it for the game and the fun with friends not to take guys at home games to the cleaners. Heck I usually lose money but don't mind as long as the guys that win it aren't a dick about it. If someone threw money my way so I could continue playing I think everyone there would appreciate it since more guys is usually more fun.
I always turn down any offers of money when I host but if I was tight on cash or needed it to stay in the hand I may consider it. It wouldn't leave the table unless everyone went home tho too.

When I host, the winners tip me a bit at the end of the night. I never encourage tipping or ask my players to tip. This, in my opinion, is fine and normal.

IMO, in a super friendly, low-stakes game, I think tipping a player who's down is fine. It's happened at my microstakes games before. Some player is down $20 or $30 for the night, and another player may just freeroll another buy-in or two to keep them playing. This is OK at my games where all the players are just my longtime non-poker friends.

I'm not sure how I would feel if this happened in a higher stakes game where not all the players may be friends. Even if the players tip out of their stack, at least the money stays on the table, but I'd still feel a little weird about it.

I showed up late to a game, where a host was down to his last few bucks so I threw some singles his way and another player did as well and he was really able to rally and come back.
Not sure that’s tipping. And it’s weird. Can’t he just buy more chips?

My game is self dealt, and occasionally somebody will tip the dealer after a good hand. It’s fine, whatever.
As host, if somebody leaves early and they tip me, I always toss those chips back into the case, and only take the cash later when everybody’s cashed out. Not that it really matters.

This isn't tipping imo. I'd ask players to bring X number of buy ins so this wouldn't happen. In the unlikely event it did I'd be open to throwing $$ to someone to keep the game going...

I would never want people to get into feeling like they should feel bad if someone gets felted, or like tipping is necessary. But is this considered OK?
I wouldn't have a problem with this, but when I host, it's always for less that largest stakes I'd be willing to play elsewhere. I always want to make sure I am willing to go 2-3 buy-ins in my own games just to set the example. So I would have some concern playing with a host that might be one-and-done in a no limit game where this guesture is necessary.

But broadly, by all means, tip the host a few bucks at the end of the night. If I get a few bucks from a couple of the winners, it keeps me ordering cards and what not. :).

I wouldn't have a problem with this, but when I host, it's always for less that largest stakes I'd be willing to play elsewhere. I always want to make sure I am willing to go 2-3 buy-ins in my own games just to set the example. So I would have some concern playing with a host that might be one-and-done in a no limit game where this guesture is necessary.
Right? My last game didn’t go well for me. I burned through all my poker cash on 4 buyins, went into my pocket for a fifth, and then the maniacs were still playing at like 3:00 AM, so I had to borrow cash for a 6th. At least I doubled that last one up and “only” finished down 4 buyins. I’d normally go home after 3 or 4, but you can’t go home when you’re the host!

Right? My last game didn’t go well for me. I burned through all my poker cash on 4 buyins, went into my pocket for a fifth, and then the maniacs were still playing at like 3:00 AM, so I had to borrow cash for a 6th. At least I doubled that last one up and “only” finished down 4 buyins. I’d normally go home after 3 or 4, but you can’t go home when you’re the host!

Yikes. Nights like that sure does hurt the new chip fund. Many guys that don't host have no idea how much is put into chips, cards etc.

Nothing wrong with tipping imo. I usually deal the games I host since a lot of my players are casual and it's more work to remind them the action when they're dealing. Occasionally a player will throw me a tip when they win a big pot which I never mind. I'm comfortable with $1/$3 stakes but my home games are always 25¢/50¢ which means I'm always good for 5-6 buy ins if the night goes sideways for me (which it did last game I hosted). As a result the game I host is always a ton of fun and lots of action. As a host I would never do stakes that I would not be bankrolled to play all night in.

Yes this happened at my last game! We started with 9 but dwindled quickly to 5. I lost my third buy in about this time. Rather than break super early, I bought back in again to keep the game going...and again...and again. 8 buy ins! Managed to cash out decent but finished down 5+. Ouch!

One of the early dropouts that night volunteered to deal the rest of the night. We occasionally each tossed him $10 so he could reenter the game.

Edit: staying on topic

Last edited:
I'm the host for our monthly cash game and I've never been down more than 3 buy-ins (knock on wood!), but I've always got enough cash on hand for at least 8 or 10 since, as the host, I can't really just leave the game. ;)

I will gladly contribute some food / cleaning expenses to the host after the game and via verse when I host

But I often get annoyed when the dealer/host keep asking for tips after every hand or every other hand, moderations is the key for getting tipping. Asking for tips too often just felt like enforcement and might have the opposite ideal effects

Yeah, I’ll gladly take a tip, but there’s no way in hell I would ever ask for one.
I will gladly contribute some food / cleaning expenses to the host after the game and via verse when I host

But I often get annoyed when the dealer/host keep asking for tips after every hand or every other hand, moderations is the key for getting tipping. Asking for tips too often just felt like enforcement and might have the opposite ideal effects

Yeah, I’ll gladly take a tip, but there’s no way in hell I would ever ask for one.
Right?
I think when I add up the cost of the hot dogs and the buns they still come in under a buck apiece. If you eat a couple of dogs and leave me a couple of bucks, we’re good. And if you eat a couple of dogs and don’t leave anything WE’RE STILL GOOD. Seriously. Thanks for coming by, I hope you had fun and I hope you come back.

Right?
I think when I add up the cost of the hot dogs and the buns they still come in under a buck apiece. If you eat a couple of dogs and leave me a couple of bucks, we’re good. And if you eat a couple of dogs and don’t leave anything WE’RE STILL GOOD. Seriously. Thanks for coming by, I hope you had fun and I hope you come back.
To be fair, at my game we do all pitch in $15 for food and drinks. But for that I fully stock a fridge with drinks plus a variety of liquor bottles plus snacks, pizza, and hot dogs. All my players feel like it's a fair deal and have even discussed raising the price to get even more options. I think $15 is the sweet spot for us though. But this is my player pool, so YMMV.

6D063736-4D21-42CA-B210-F9B0582BF2DC.jpeg

If I'm a stranger to the game and there was no charge to play, and food & drinks were provided, then yes I look to kick in something. Usually I find that the group takes turns hosting so it all evens out in the end. My group takes turns hosting but we drag from every pot. At the end the host pulls what is fair for what was provided & consumed (typically $25) and the remainder goes towards a Showdown hand.

Our games are BYOB, I always bring enough beers/booze to share. If I host I order/make food. people always tip $5 here and there.

I've played at other games, If I win I always tip the house $10 - $20

I played in a game friday with a designated dealer who would be dealing for tips....we played for an hour before she showed up. The game actually slowed down when she started dealing....it was painful. She refused to start dealing until the blinds were posted. After all bets were in, she would stack all the chips up in denominations before dealing out the next card. She is friends with everybody, so totally involved in all the conversations....texting during hands and the like. The game slowed to a crawl. I was jumping in my skin, but I was also the only one bothered by it so I sat on my hands. I shuffled the deck for her to try to help move the game along, but it did nothing.

I have no pearls of wisdom, I just wanted to complain. Yeah, tips are cool I guess.

I played in a game friday with a designated dealer who would be dealing for tips....we played for an hour before she showed up. The game actually slowed down when she started dealing....it was painful. She refused to start dealing until the blinds were posted. After all bets were in, she would stack all the chips up in denominations before dealing out the next card. She is friends with everybody, so totally involved in all the conversations....texting during hands and the like. The game slowed to a crawl. I was jumping in my skin, but I was also the only one bothered by it so I sat on my hands. I shuffled the deck for her to try to help move the game along, but it did nothing.

I have no pearls of wisdom, I just wanted to complain. Yeah, tips are cool I guess.
How much did you tip her?

How much did you tip her?
As always, I tip to a level expected. Even though it's a poker game, it's at someone's house that I was invited to. Luckily, I didn't have to tip much, because I was a bit card dead, and we weren't playing that many hands.

As always, I tip to a level expected. Even though it's a poker game, it's at someone's house that I was invited to. Luckily, I didn't have to tip much, because I was a bit card dead, and we weren't playing that many hands.
I know these situations can be tricky when it’s somebody else’s game, but I hope you’ve pointed out your frustrations to the host. It would be a tough decision to return to that game if the situation is going to be the same.

I know these situations can be tricky when it’s somebody else’s game, but I hope you’ve pointed out your frustrations to the host. It would be a tough decision to return to that game if the situation is going to be the same.

No. The host is clueless, and I would expect the conversation to go over his head. I pointed out one of their rulings was incorrect (concerning a hand accidentally mucked) and he said that they do things a little looser here....which I pointed out I was actually telling him the opposite, that they were being too harsh. It took several minutes for him to understand that I was telling him it was ok to be lenient here. They all argued against me. Then I googled it and showed them.

Since someone is going to ask: the dealer accidentally mucked the big blind's hand when it limped to him. They said since it touched the other two cards in the muck, it's a dead hand. I pointed out that was not the case, since they were still clearly identifiable. They said no way, it touched the muck. I told them the muck has no magic properties, and as long as they are identifiable, they could be returned. The dealer gave him his cards back, then mucked them again. It was comical. Somebody ALMOST bet me I was wrong.

The rule: In Robert's Rules of Poker, Bob "The Coach" Ciaffone describes it: Cards thrown into the muck may be ruled dead. However, a hand that is clearly identifiable may be retrieved and ruled live at management's discretion if doing so is in the best interest of the game.

No. The host is clueless, and I would expect the conversation to go over his head. I pointed out one of their rulings was incorrect (concerning a hand accidentally mucked) and he said that they do things a little looser here....which I pointed out I was actually telling him the opposite, that they were being too harsh. It took several minutes for him to understand that I was telling him it was ok to be lenient here. They all argued against me. Then I googled it and showed them.

Since someone is going to ask: the dealer accidentally mucked the big blind's hand when it limped to him. They said since it touched the other two cards in the muck, it's a dead hand. I pointed out that was not the case, since they were still clearly identifiable. They said no way, it touched the muck. I told them the muck has no magic properties, and as long as they are identifiable, they could be returned. The dealer gave him his cards back, then mucked them again. It was comical. Somebody ALMOST bet me I was wrong.

The rule: In Robert's Rules of Poker, Bob "The Coach" Ciaffone describes it: Cards thrown into the muck may be ruled dead. However, a hand that is clearly identifiable may be retrieved and ruled live at management's discretion if doing so is in the best interest of the game.
But they touched the muck.

We all throw the host $5 at the beginning of the night and then at the end it depends on how my night goes.
If I’m down or up just a little then I’ll round down to the nearest $5 or $10. Meaning if I’m cashing out for $324 I’ll just take $320.
The other night I cashed out for $1122 so I just told him give me 1100.
If the host is the big winner of the night then I might tip a little less for that reason.
We don’t tip during game play though.

The home games I go to typically have a tip jar, but there’s no obligation to tip (the games usually don’t provide much food/drinks). I’ll usually throw in $5, but I much prefer just bringing over some drinks so that everyone can have a good time.

I host twice a week. Occasionally just once but very rare. Gratuities are accepted and happen at cash out. Usually, a result of the fact that the banker pays out on the dollar; you have $42.50 banker pays $42. Sure sometimes someone will flip someone .50 to get them to an even number. The same people that don’t tip lol.

With the “round down” I might take in $3-5 bucks in tips. I have a couple of chippers that visit and they’ll throw some paper into the bucket.

I do water and donuts. This isn’t Country Kitchen.

It’s my hobby so I don’t care and I’m up considerably since I brought the game back. But, there’s always a but, I have two points. I’ve probably got $5 grand into the game as far as equipment goes. My stuff, my hobby. But, I’ve never left for a game without an untouchable bundle of $5’s in another pocket that I use for tipping the host. And these are games that do not provide anything, not even water.

It’s called good form. But I don’t make anyone feel like I steam if they don’t tip. Just doesn’t matter that much.

But if you want hosts to host then tip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom