Time for a cocktail! (3 Viewers)

Attempted a Paloma for the first time. I keep meaning to try it at @bergs, now I get it, it is delicious.
View attachment 1259509
Looks refreshing! Fresh grapefruit or grapefruit soda?

I known it is not by the book, but I like to drop a bit of grenadine in the bottom of the glass for a bit of color.

I only jumped on the Mr Black bandwagon a year ago, and its now my go to coffee liquer.
Prior to that I was having difficulties with my recipe trying to counterbalance the weird flavours i was getting from Tia Maria and Kahlua.

Mr Black is
a) stronger alc%
b) doesn't taste chemical

In the 70s and 80s here in Australia at least , Tia Maria and Kahlua were huge and now sadly they're both not the same as I remember them.

Looks refreshing! Fresh grapefruit or grapefruit soda?

I known it is not by the book, but I like to drop a bit of grenadine in the bottom of the glass for a bit of color.
Fresh grapefruit, very easy to get in phoenix during this time of the year. Grenadine is a good idea, I used simple syrup.

I only jumped on the Mr Black bandwagon a year ago, and its now my go to coffee liquer.
Prior to that I was having difficulties with my recipe trying to counterbalance the weird flavours i was getting from Tia Maria and Kahlua.

Mr Black is
a) stronger alc%
b) doesn't taste chemical

In the 70s and 80s here in Australia at least , Tia Maria and Kahlua were huge and now sadly they're both not the same as I remember them.
Mr. Black is an Australian brand, no? I will have to look for it around here. I know they sell it in the U.S.

Stay CONUS, brother.
For a few more months. I'm counting on shipping costs to Europe to curb my chip buying!

Translated to freedom units:
0.75 oz Espresso
1 oz Vodka
0.75 oz Mr. Black
0.25 oz simple syrup
Freedom Units! LOVE IT!

Freedom.gif

Tonight I'm enjoying this wonderful creation. Similar to a Boulevardier but with Dry Vermouth in place of the Sweet and more Rye forward. I give you:

My Old Pal
2oz Rye​
0.75oz Campari​
0.75oz Dry Vermouth (I prefer Noilly Prat here)​

I prebatch these so I don't have bottle pics (out of dry vermouth :eek:) but here's the drink:

IMG_0796.jpg

Great cocktail! I'm curious if I should try it with Old Tom next. What'd you think?
I did not like this version as much as I have in the past and I think it was the gin. I know I personally like it with Cocchi Americano over other vermouths. I might have used Fernand Dry Curacao in the past, but I don't think Cointreau was the issue. It was probably the gin.

Ransom gin is not bad (makes a fantastic Martinez). I just think it did not work well in this cocktail.

Give it a try with whatever Old Tom you have (Hayward's?) and tell me what you think! Maybe this weekend I'll pick up Plymouth and try the two gins side by side in this cocktail.

Tonight I'm enjoying this wonderful creation. Similar to a Boulevardier but with Dry Vermouth in place of the Sweet and more Rye forward. I give you:

My Old Pal
2oz Rye​
0.75oz Campari​
0.75oz Dry Vermouth (I prefer Noilly Prat here)​

I prebatch these so I don't have bottle pics (out of dry vermouth :eek:) but here's the drink:

View attachment 1273403
That sounds stiff

Perfect Manhattan

1000004228.jpg

I'm using cheap ass Alberta premium rye. I read on the interwebs it was god value but it ain't cutting it. Bulleit rye was my go to but I can't get it up in Canada anymore, eh.

@CraigT78 this ain't my first cocktail tonight. Been listening to Dre

Perfect Manhattan

View attachment 1275275

I'm using cheap ass Alberta premium rye. I read on the interwebs it was god value but it ain't cutting it. Bulleit rye was my go to but I can't get it up in Canada anymore, eh.

@CraigT78 this ain't my first cocktail tonight. Been listening to Dre
Try the cask strength Alberta Premium. Excellent in cocktails.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom