Time for a cocktail! (3 Viewers)

Please help me fix this cocktail! I was making a Bee's Knees when, on a whim, I decided to throw in a quarter ounce of Campari and some egg white. I don't love it. But I think it has potential. It's a little reminiscent of a Pink Lady. Maybe the other home mixologists here can fix the proportions or find another ingredient that makes this click. And I'm not sold on the egg white for this one.

1.5 oz gin
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz honey syrup
1/4 oz Campari
egg white
shake and strain

1703728514169.png

A ratio (3:1? 2:1?) of bourbon and this is an absolute banger, imo. It’s also VERY tasty on its own although quite sweet.

IMG_3751.jpeg

Well, I got home and discovered I don't have any lemons .... so I took this in a slightly different direction:

1.5oz gin (Plymouth)
0.25oz Campari
0.25 oz Limoncello
0.25oz Velvet Falernum

Shake, fine strain

My first take was heavier on the limoncello but even this one is a bit too sweet for me. You might like it though. I'm not sure the Falernum works either ... science demands more research!

IMG_0613.jpg

The color really doesn't come through here. In person it is beautifully light pink.

Well, I got home and discovered I don't have any lemons .... so I took this in a slightly different direction:

1.5oz gin (Plymouth)
0.25oz Campari
0.25 oz Limoncello
0.25oz Velvet Falernum

Shake, fine strain

My first take was heavier on the limoncello but even this one is a bit too sweet for me. You might like it though. I'm not sure the Falernum works either ... science demands more research!

View attachment 1246113
The color really doesn't come through here. In person it is beautifully light pink.

Pretty! Falernum is underrated. Substitute it with some curacao the sugar syrup in a daiquiri for a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. Or, I like to mix it with bourbon as an old fashioned variation! I wonder how it would hold up against campari and gin though.

Well, now I have to pick up some Falernum and Limoncello!

Pretty! Falernum is underrated. Substitute it with some curacao the sugar syrup in a daiquiri for a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. Or, I like to mix it with bourbon as an old fashioned variation! I wonder how it would hold up against campari and gin though.

Well, now I have to pick up some Falernum and Limoncello!
So I made this again with honey syrup in place of the Falernum .... and while I think it tastes better (less sweet, the Campari and gin come through more) it loses the crystal clear pink color which is why I avoided the honey the first time. It's definitely more bitter which is a plus for me (but I have odd taste buds).

Ultimately, I don't think limoncello is going to work here. To get enough of the lemon flavor the drink turns too syrupy sweet for me and none of my variations have really evoked a Bees Knees.

So I made this again with honey syrup in place of the Falernum .... and while I think it tastes better (less sweet, the Campari and gin come through more) it loses the crystal clear pink color which is why I avoided the honey the first time. It's definitely more bitter which is a plus for me (but I have odd taste buds).

Ultimately, I don't think limoncello is going to work here. To get enough of the lemon flavor the drink turns too syrupy sweet for me and none of my variations have really evoked a Bees Knees.
I tried it again without egg. Just a bees knees but sub in a bit of Campari for the honey syrup. I think it's pretty good - a drink I'd be willing to serve to others. I did not get a picture, but it was a nice pink. Maybe egg+honey just does not work?

I don't expect anyone to know this one. It's from my friend Sother's book and one I hadn't tried before tonight. Delicious, as almost all his creations are.
The name and recipe are below.

IMG_0641.jpg

Interrobang‽
1 dash Peychaud's Bitters
0.5 oz Cynar
0.5 oz Benedictine
0.5 oz Armagnac
Spritz of peated Scotch whisky

Stir first four ingredients with plenty of ice. Strain into chilled rocks glass. Spray peated Scotch whisky on top. No garnish.
In Sother's own words: "It's perfect for sipping on a chilly fall evening, particularly by the fireplace. Herbal, potent, sweet and smokey, this cocktail is truly wtf‽, but in a good way."

I had to use Cognac as I'm out of Armagnac but I don't think it ruins anything at all.

Last edited:
What proportions did you use? Whenever I make a cognac sidecar it seems too tart.
Wild Turkey 101 is my "well" bourbon at home.

Juice of 1/2 lemon
1oz orange liquor ( I used fernand)
2oz bourbon.

Shake with ice Good shake. No slacking

Serve in chilled glass or over large cube

It’s a little tart. But I love the lemon citrus in this drink

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom