Time for a cocktail! (8 Viewers)

I guess this is gonna be my Xmas Eve cocktail this year...
1224190932~2.jpg

@v1pe is correct about martini specs, at least for a classic martini(which is gin btw, not vodka). Of course everyone should make theirs how they like.

Also, @detroitdad you should stir your martini. Spirit forward cocktails are meant to be stirred, as @Poker Zombie said, to keep the drink clear and unclouded. The only real reason to shake a martini is to make it ice cold. Some ways to avoid watering it down too much are to 1)double strain so that ice chips don’t sit in the glass and add further dilution, 2) don’t shake longer that 10-13 seconds. By that time the drink has reached thermal equilibrium. Shaking it longer will only water it down, not make it any colder, and 3)use proper sized ice cubes. Using small, broken, or shaved ice will dilute your drink quicker when shaking it.

Last edited:
Glass #1

1. Glasses in the freezer
2. Splash dry vermouth through the glass
3. Shake 2 shots of vodka in the homemade ice shaker
4. Add vodka to glass
5. Drop in 3 green olives

Glass #2

1. Glasses in the freezer
2. Splash dry vermouth through the glass
3. use a wedge of lemon to rim the glass, then squirt a touch of lemon juice into the glass
4. twist lemon peel and drop in glass
3. Shake 2 shots of vodka in the homemade ice shaker
4. Add vodka to glass

With these drinks I don't think I "shook" it long enough. It was pretty fucking strong.

I made one yesterday, and I think I "shook" it to long. Overall I'm really enjoying the change of pace from just drinking straight bourbons. Making the martinis will be a trial and error for a bit. Plus I'm looking forward to experimenting with different twists on these.
Love me a dirty vodka martini. Ever thought of adding a splash of olive juice? (and not the repulsive brine that comes with the olives, learned that the hard way :vomit:)

I normally like my drinks strong. The only vermouth that I used was splashed in and out of the glass. I made another one over the weekend and I used 2 shots of vodka and probably less than a half ounce of vermouth and it was an improvement.

I'll be trying a few more tonight :)

I'll probably try some bitters at some point in my experimentation phase.
I keep the vermouth in the same liquor cabinet as my vodka. That's as close as it gets.

I keep the vermouth in the same liquor cabinet as my vodka. That's as close as it gets.
We use an atomizer. Mists exactly 1/16th of an ounce per squirt, which adheres evenly to the frozen glass.
@v1pe is correct about martini specs, at least for a classic martini(which is gin btw, not vodka). Of course everyone should make theirs how they like.
The only real reason to shake a martini is to make it ice cold.

I have to admit, making a martini to your exact specs is one of the great things about a martini. It is the original choose your own adventure cocktail with so many ways to go. Much like spaghetti sauce, everyone makes it a little differently. Some are better than others, but taste is subjective. The important part is that you get it right to your liking.

But if you are running 2:1 spirit to vermouth, you are doing it wrong. A quick search, and I can't find a single suggestion that would make a martini 33% vermouth. Even the Martini & Rossi website, the makers of vermouth use a 10:3 ratio - and they are selling vermouth!

That said, there has been a push in the past few years to call anything in a martini glass a martini. While I won't argue that a "proper" martini is gin, I prefer vodka - hence calling it a "vodka martini". I think it's an improvement, because I prefer the cleaner taste. Just dont put 1 ½ oz. of orange rum and 3 oz. of lemonade in a martini glass with sugar on the rim and call it a martini. The martini is more than the glass in which it is served. The name evokes a certain level of class, and an appreciation of nuisance. Like the hotdog argument, it goes much deeper than "but it qualifies".

Old Wagon: Gin, apple juice, black cherry juice, lime, a little seltzer or tonic for fizz... Proportions to taste. The better the ingredients, the better it gets, but hard to go wrong.

We use an atomizer. Mists exactly 1/16th of an ounce per squirt, which adheres evenly to the frozen glass.

I have to admit, making a martini to your exact specs is one of the great things about a martini. It is the original choose your own adventure cocktail with so many ways to go. Much like spaghetti sauce, everyone makes it a little differently. Some are better than others, but taste is subjective. The important part is that you get it right to your liking.

But if you are running 2:1 spirit to vermouth, you are doing it wrong. A quick search, and I can't find a single suggestion that would make a martini 33% vermouth. Even the Martini & Rossi website, the makers of vermouth use a 10:3 ratio - and they are selling vermouth!

That said, there has been a push in the past few years to call anything in a martini glass a martini. While I won't argue that a "proper" martini is gin, I prefer vodka - hence calling it a "vodka martini". I think it's an improvement, because I prefer the cleaner taste. Just dont put 1 ½ oz. of orange rum and 3 oz. of lemonade in a martini glass with sugar on the rim and call it a martini. The martini is more than the glass in which it is served. The name evokes a certain level of class, and an appreciation of nuisance. Like the hotdog argument, it goes much deeper than "but it qualifies".

Lol uhh, just so you know, I’ve been a bartender for 18 or so years :) I’m very well versed in cocktail culture/mixology(hate that term) and classic/new classic cocktails.

Can’t agree more about the use of the term “martini”. It’s been bastardized beyond belief and I can’t stand when someone asks for a martini then orders something like a lemon drop :banghead:

Lol uhh, just so you know, I’ve been a bartender for 18 or so years :) I’m very well versed in cocktail culture/mixology(hate that term) and classic/new classic cocktails.

Can’t agree more about the use of the term “martini”. It’s been bastardized beyond belief and I can’t stand when someone asks for a martini then orders something like a lemon drop :banghead:
My only "cooking" competition victory was with my martini. I guess we will have to simply disagree.

Or better yet, martini battle at a meet-up. :wow:

Bonnie and I have been having a blast with the cocktail of the day! Our bar is getting fully stocked, with the ingredients on hand we can make 78 different cocktails.

21B46CA4-DAD1-40D1-8E7C-10BF6F47D2A9.jpeg

D9F43076-FF11-42E6-9B5A-6A1F97AAF68C.jpeg

Bramble!!!
0E2EB9FA-8013-48C9-BC8F-29A40FCE3EA6.jpeg

0C15BF00-F8B0-42D1-B1A3-0377EC883845.jpeg

French Martini!!!

C01EE222-DDA8-464E-B4BE-34B37F59EFC1.jpeg

Manhattan!!

C6D643F0-B4A2-434B-9410-ABC5158E6BE3.jpeg

C619143E-0C36-4EF0-A638-A79334EAEF96.jpeg

6E59B55F-4613-40AC-A9BA-D0F16BA9124F.jpeg

Old fashion please. Not picky on the whiskey as long as it's good...

Thank you.

So you’re telling me the cherry cheesecake-tini and 3 Musketini the local place sells aren’t really martinis?!

Last edited:
So you’re telling me the cherry cheesecake-tini and 3 Musketini mute local place sells aren’t no really martinis?!

Lol not to me, but I’m into the classics. To me there’s only 2 types of martini, the gin martini and the vodka martini. Everything else that’s mixed is a cocktail.

The gin martini is the classic martini btw, I always lol when I ask if someone wants vodka or gin when they order a martini, they give me a quizzical look like I’m an idiot, and smugly say “vodka”. :)

I made three on day 1 of my martini experimentation (all for me lol).

I'm not a "gin" fan. Saying that, I haven't tried very many brands. Any middle shelf gins that you recommend.
I'd try New Amsterdam gin for a bargain bottle. Actually pretty good for gin and tonics. (their vodka sucks)

Hendricks or Bombay sapphire (my preferred for martinis)

I'd try New Amsterdam gin for a bargain bottle. Actually pretty good for gin and tonics. (their vodka sucks)

Hendricks or Bombay sapphire (my preferred for martinis)
Not a gin person but I’d definitely go for a Hendricks tonic with a cucumber garnish. Bonus points if I’m poolside with shades on in a resort somewhere. :cool

I think if you're not a huge gin fan, adding a measure of vodka tempers the taste a little.

When we make a Vesper, we do it 1 Gin, 3 Vodka, and a splash of Lillet. We call it an "Upside-down Vesper", or "Vesper Doggie-style". :sneaky:

We don't call it a Martini though.

As for gin, we have tried quite a few, but never found one we really liked better than vodka. When we do a gin martini (because it's not bad, and I do like to live with variety) we use "Uncle Val's Botanical". I suspect true gin aficionados would be displeased, but I'm not a connoisseur of gin.

When we make a Vesper, we do it 1 Gin, 3 Vodka, and a splash of Lillet. We call it an "Upside-down Vesper", or "Vesper Doggie-style". :sneaky:

We don't call it a Martini though.

As for gin, we have tried quite a few, but never found one we really liked better than vodka. When we do a gin martini (because it's not bad, and I do like to live with variety) we use "Uncle Val's Botanical". I suspect true gin aficionados would be displeased, but I'm not a connoisseur of gin.

I’m actually a fan of Uncle Val’s! Roku, Nolet’s, St. George Terroir, St. George Botanivore, Barrelworks Barrel Aged Gin, and Monkey 47 are all nice too.

Flavor wise, Monkey 47 tops the list. It tops the list price wise too though haha

I’m actually a fan of Uncle Val’s! Roku, Nolet’s, St. George Terroir, St. George Botanivore, Barrelworks Barrel Aged Gin, and Monkey 47 are all nice too.

Flavor wise, Monkey 47 tops the list. It tops the list price wise too though haha
Useful info. My sister in law will be visiting next month, and she's a martini purist. I need better gins (we have Bombay, Hendricks, and Uncle Val's).

Plymouth is great in the bramble!!!

B3215AB3-446D-4146-8DF4-8627EF73091D.jpeg

9045DF01-5FEC-4802-B709-646663914365.jpeg

3ABC339C-2973-4C45-B294-AF429BD948BD.jpeg

9DEA09C7-4FDF-4B7E-B7CA-902F076DB4C3.jpeg

75D8FC8E-8E22-4FE2-9AFC-6A5014CF595D.jpeg

Last edited:
I think if you're not a huge gin fan, adding a measure of vodka tempers the taste a little.
not to bash martinis: but why gin for anything? gin is all you could get up until the 30's, that's why you have to mix it: ever hear of anyone doing gin shots? :vomit:
the tech is much better these days: just get some good vodka; jet fuel quality:
IMG_3964.jpg
my mix is 50/50 with pellegrino; 8oz total ea, drink it like a shot, repeat (ie no sipping :tdown:)
does that qualify as a cocktail? my only other choice is scotch neat (or with one medium ice cube, ok)
BTW I started on this gift xmass gift Saturday afternoon, but I had to work today. :rolleyes: (yeah at 5am too :dead:)
Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom