The Official Royals PrOn Thread! (3 Viewers)

Finally got the yellows and whites oiled. Every color got a big improvement, but the yellows might have seen the biggest gains.

Oiling before labelling? Won't that cause problems with label adhesion? I guess if you wait long enough to ensure they are 100% dry ... Let us know how the labelling goes with this method. I had always thought you needed to oil after they were applied.

Oiling before labelling? Won't that cause problems with label adhesion? I guess if you wait long enough to ensure they are 100% dry ... Let us know how the labelling goes with this method. I had always thought you needed to oil after they were applied.
That's what I had always heard, as well, but in the following thread that theory has been pretty much debunked.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oiling-chips-done-right.14343/page-12#post-989760

Plus, I made sure to wipe the inlay area after sitting on paper towels for a week. I'm in no hurry - giving them a long time to dry out. I probably won't apply my labels for another couple of weeks, actually.

@Himewad Yeah, I just read that myself! OK, patience is key, so if you're not in a rush, they should come out sweet. Some of those pictures you posted look amazing. How much (if any) residue comes off of those blurples when you handle them?

Mineral oil is interesting. I've never worked with it before oiling my Royal chips. It's not nearly as greasy as other oils. It absorbs well, especially into your skin. You can pretty much just rub your hands together and the oily feeling goes away. As opposed to cooking oils, which leave a greasy coating even after wiping your hands with a towel.

Last edited:
@Himewad Yeah, I just read that myself! OK, patience is key, so if you're not in a rush, they should come out sweet. Some of those pictures you posted look amazing. How much (if any) residue comes off of those blurples when you handle them?
Surprisingly little. I know they look like they are soaking wet, but it's really just an amazing shine. I will definitely report back after a couple of weeks to see how they are doing.

I did those blues first. I had a hard time looking away from them to be honest. They look crazy good.

Last edited:
Mineral oil is interesting. I've never worked with it before oiling my Royal chips. It's not nearly as greasy as other oils. It absorbs well, especially into your skin. You can pretty much just rub your hands together and the oily feeling is pretty much gone. As opposed to cooking oils, which leave a greasy coating even after wiping your hands with a towel.

I've never worked with it either - until yesterday, when I cleaned/oiled about 600 chips from The Chip Exchange's sale. I was nervous about the chips being too oily (b/c they looked the part), but this morning they were quite pleasant. Even after edge oiling, it just kind of absorbed. But mine didn't shine as much as your royals, so I was curious if you had any issues. Eventually, I'll get the time to oil my own Royals. Your pictures make me want to go do it tonight!

The blurples show the most shine, but having played a heads-up match with them, despite their wet-look, they did not feel oily and they left no residue on the table.

Honestly, I think oiling was better, because they didn't leave any dust on the table. For better or worse, I did not wash the Royal blanks. They just were not nearly as dusty as the CPS chips or the Majestics.

The blurples show the most shine, but having played a heads-up match with them, despite their wet-look, they did not feel oily and they left no residue on the table.

Honestly, I think oiling was better, because they didn't leave any dust on the table. For better or worse, I did not wash the Royal blanks. They just were not nearly as dusty as the CPS chips or the Majestics.
I went ahead and washed mine, but I agree that they weren't very dusty. I didn't notice much of a difference, if any.

I just ordered some additional Royals (so I could get some nice, round quantities on my denominations), so I will have before and after pics to take when they arrive.

I will also add that I do not believe there is any reason to let them air-dry, unless you are using the oil and water method. Mineral oil does not evaporate. I put mine directly into clear racks after using the wipe-on, wipe-off method. The racks were unmarked, except for my oily fingerprints.

What label size did you all go with?

Also, do any of you know if we *must* buy in quantities of 25? This will for sure through my OCD when putting the chips in racks.

Last edited:
My label designs were 1 1/16". @Gear did the printing/cutting, which were spot on. If he made any adjustment to the final file size to make it fit, I am unaware.

The chips sold new must be in quantities of 25. Each denomination comes shipped in cellophane tubes in groups of 25. Apparently the Chinese don't use racks. You can always have extras in case of breakage or loss. In fact, it's a good idea.

My label designs were 1 1/16". @Gear did the printing/cutting, which were spot on. If he made any adjustment to the final file size to make it fit, I am unaware.

The chips sold new must be in quantities of 25. Each denomination comes shipped in cellophane tubes in groups of 25. Apparently the Chinese don't use racks. You can always have extras in case of breakage or loss. In fact, it's a good idea.

I thought of that and it does make sense. I was just trying to be most efficient, and didn't necissarily want to round up to 100. Thanks.

I thought of that and it does make sense. I was just trying to be most efficient, and didn't necissarily want to round up to 100. Thanks.
I know the feeling, especially in the upper denominations. I only needed 30 of my largest chip, but after multiple calculations, I couldn't get away with just 25, without having to order at least 25 more of the next lower chip.

I will also add that I do not believe there is any reason to let them air-dry, unless you are using the oil and water method. Mineral oil does not evaporate. I put mine directly into clear racks after using the wipe-on, wipe-off method. The racks were unmarked, except for my oily fingerprints.
I had never heard this before, so I had to verify. Interesting. I guess the reason for laying the chips out on paper towels would be to allow them to absorb the oil individually and on their own time, so to speak. Because if the freshly oiled chips are touching, they might compromise each other? Making them appear unevenly oiled? Maybe?

I had never heard this before, so I had to verify. Interesting. I guess the reason for laying the chips out on paper towels would be to allow them to absorb the oil individually and on their own time, so to speak. Because if the freshly oiled chips are touching, they might compromise each other? Making them appear unevenly oiled? Maybe?
I'm not even sure the chips "absorb" any extra oil. If I had any unoiled chips left I would run an experiment, but the pores on a chip are probably too small to allow the thick viscosity to just absorb. The paper towel might be a good idea if you used too much. I have oiled between 4000-5000 chips now, so I am really familiar with how much oil is really needed. I then wipe it on a secondary terry cloth towel (terry cloth has the little loops that will get the excess out of the mold area). Usually 2 quick wipes then I stack them a barrel high. When the barrel is done, it goes right in the rack.

I will probably not pull them out again until July. If I notice any uneven coloring, I will post about it here, but I doubt that will be the case.

How can I find out what the HTML notation color numbers are for the colors used on these chips. Anyone?

(is that how you say it? HTML notation color number? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::bag:)

I don't know about specific CMYK codes, but Gear may have the RGB colors. The choice (CMYK or RGB) depends on how you (or your printer) intends to print them. Who will be making your labels?

I don't know about specific CMYK codes, but Gear may have the RGB colors. The choice (CMYK or RGB) depends on how you (or your printer) intends to print them. Who will be making your labels?

IDK - I haven’t really researched label vendors, but depending on their lead-times, probably ABC or Gear. Other companies have been suggested too.

I’ve begun working on a label but I’m nowhere close to printing.

Got these today (washed then oiled in the last two pics):

Attachments

• 91ACA7E8-595F-4823-BAAD-C24B35D2C194.jpeg
    91ACA7E8-595F-4823-BAAD-C24B35D2C194.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 0C7759E0-AED8-4157-9495-8D092C622FF5.jpeg
    0C7759E0-AED8-4157-9495-8D092C622FF5.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 9275D7D2-A203-4200-9107-B8F70AA975C2.jpeg
    9275D7D2-A203-4200-9107-B8F70AA975C2.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 217
  • F6EF8A0A-4B58-4DFB-B74E-AFB46BDE09C9.jpeg
    F6EF8A0A-4B58-4DFB-B74E-AFB46BDE09C9.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 737DC359-F98D-422D-A972-E93EC4020E75.jpeg
    737DC359-F98D-422D-A972-E93EC4020E75.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 184
  • A73BC6C1-386B-48CE-AC80-56DA1A2AAC7A.jpeg
    A73BC6C1-386B-48CE-AC80-56DA1A2AAC7A.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 191
I designed and printed my own using ABC. Couldn't be happier. I messed a few of them up during application and when I went to go remove them, they were tough as nails. Made really well.

Next time I print some, I plan to contact gear. Just want to compare for myself. But I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either (ABC from experience and gear from reputation)

I used Gear to print my labels and couldn't be happier. Almost done labeling the chips, will post pics when done

I used Palm Gaming International for my first labels, and their equipment was purchased by ABC when Joe at PGI retired. I suspect the quality is just as good, so both Gear or ABC are acceptable options. I've stuck with Gear ever since, because his customer service was better than PGI. Although the cost is marginally higher (maybe $10 on 1000 chip project), I've had no reason to try ABC. It's good that there are 2 options available though, in case of retirement or disaster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom