The official relabel/gear is awesome pron thread (1 Viewer)

818_001.jpg

818_002.jpg

818_003.jpg

818_004.jpg

818_005.jpg

818_006.jpg

818_007.jpg

These are just my observations/experiences/likes/dislikes
I liked the consistency in the chip appearance with the label overs. When labeling over it does not matter if the inlay is perfectly centered or not because your label will cover the entire area.

When I started removing inlays the chips were so inconsistent I couldn't take it. The recess for the inlay diameter was inconsistent enough on some chips that there would be gaps between the laminated label and the side of the recess. None of that comes into play with a label over.

My Horseshoe Cincinnati's were very consistent, the only thing i didn't really care for about them was the laminated label was too thin for my liking and sat down in the chip too far. Didn't look original to me.

Here is an example of the inconsistent recess area, the area on the left has a gap. With a label over the recess diameter is irrelevant because it is all covered.
The next chip the laminated label would fit perfectly in the exact correct diameter recess. Gear's labels are 1000x's more consistent than the chips.

20190822_002138029_iOS.jpg

The top row is all label overs. You can see regardless of the inlay size/shape/placement, the label over is centered every time.
The green & black horseshoes were very good, but look at how bad the purple chip is off?? You have no choice but to place the label off center. The yellow chip is really hard to see but the recess is not a crisp cut, very sloppy & when the perfectly round laminated label is put in the center you can really tell how shitty the recess is cut.

20190422_013430047_iOS.jpg

Top row is label over
Bottom row is inlay replacement.
The laminated labels are a lot nicer, but like I said they seemed to sit down in the chip too low, and with the gaps around some of the recess area they just didn't look like an original chip. You could tell they were reworked.
Now all you chip nerds would know the top row is a label over but to everyone else they have no idea the chip was reworked.

20190424_220524500_iOS.jpg

YMMV

I liked the consistency in the chip appearance with the label overs. When labeling over it does not matter if the inlay is perfectly centered or not because your label will cover the entire area.

When I started removing inlays the chips were so inconsistent I couldn't take it. The recess for the inlay diameter was inconsistent enough on some chips that there would be gaps between the laminated label and the side of the recess. None of that comes into play with a label over.

My Horseshoe Cincinnati's were very consistent, the only thing i didn't really care for about them was the laminated label was too thin for my liking and sat down in the chip too far. Didn't look original to me.

Here is an example of the inconsistent recess area, the area on the left has a gap. With a label over the recess diameter is irrelevant because it is all covered.
The next chip the laminated label would fit perfectly in the exact correct diameter recess. Gear's labels are 1000x's more consistent than the chips.

View attachment 326885

The top row is all label overs. You can see regardless of the inlay size/shape/placement, the label over is centered every time.
The green & black horseshoes were very good, but look at how bad the purple chip is off?? You have no choice but to place the label off center. The yellow chip is really hard to see but the recess is not a crisp cut, very sloppy & when the perfectly round laminated label is put in the center you can really tell how shitty the recess is cut.

View attachment 326891

Top row is label over
The laminated labels are a lot nicer, but like I said they seemed to sit down in the chip too low, and with the gaps around some of the recess area they just didn't look like an original chip. You could tell they were reworked.
Now all you chip nerds would know the top row is a label over but to everyone else they have no idea the chip was reworked.

View attachment 326897

YMMV
That's weird. I've inlay replaced about 500+ chips and I don't recall running into that issue. All of my labels for perfectly into the recess. I did balls a few up and have to rip them out and replace them though.

You also can't use the edge of a blade to press the labels in, because that will cause a slight lift between the laminate and lower layer of the new label.

There's a bit of an art to doing it and I got much better after finishing my first rack.

I should also add that I've only murdered THC, IHC and house mold chips, so I've got no experience murdering RHCs.

That's weird. I've inlay replaced about 500+ chips and I don't recall running into that issue. All of my labels for perfectly into the recess. I did balls a few up and have to rip them out and replace them though.

You also can't use the edge of a blade to press the labels in, because that will cause a slight lift between the laminate and lower layer of the new label.

There's a bit of an art to doing it and I got much better after finishing my first rack.

I should also add that I've only murdered THC and house mold chips, so I've got no experience murdering RHCs.

In my experience it depended on the chip. Like I said the Horseshoes were very good but any of the fantasy chips I had were really bad

In my experience it depended on the chip. Like I said the Horseshoes were very good but any of the fantasy chips I had were really bad
Yeah that's interesting. I always assumed the inlay recess would be identical in size, but not always centred.

I'm in the process of murdering 1400 chips so I'll keep my eye on it and post my findings. For science lol

View attachment 326885

View attachment 326891

Top row is label over

View attachment 326897

YMMV

Hmm... very interesting info. Thank you for elaborating in such detail!!
Definitely odd. I don’t recall reading anyone else having this trouble, or at least not to this degree. I Certainly have seen some close-ups that, to my eyes, look quite obvious that the (replaced) inlay doesn’t fit quite perfectly, and that was one reason for my hesitance... Also, after checking out @msuroo ’s “traveling sample” I wasn’t quite so fond of the sound of the chips that had inlays completely replaced.
Either way, I’m thrilled with the results thus far, and we’ll see if I decide to take it to the next level in the future.

Bit of an update to my mixed Vegas House Mold relabel set.

Lineup locked in, except for the Orleans, which I may not use as a $20.
IMG_20190823_063603.jpg

Working on some new label designs for the Luxor, and Mandalay. These are still a work in progress, but are getting closer.
IMG_20190825_170257.jpg

IMG_20190825_170538.jpg

Love the Luxor, i'm with you not so sure about the Orleans.
Is the Orleans even a House Mold?
Well not really I guess, but it's a b mold and that's why I thought of bourbon street. It's more the spot pattern that bugs me, as it's a repeat.

Bit of an update to my mixed Vegas House Mold relabel set.

Lineup locked in, except for the Orleans, which I may not use as a $20.
View attachment 328567
Working on some new label designs for the Luxor, and Mandalay. These are still a work in progress, but are getting closer.
View attachment 328568
View attachment 328569

Really like the family shot. It’s coming together nicely.

If you don’t end up going with bourbon street, I still say the Caesars $2 as a $25 is money....

P1110448.JPG

Labelled over a solid white THC hot stamp (Club Cal-Neva roulette) with an unlaminated sticker that closely matches the gold background of the original Grouse Mountain Lodge/Cavanaugh's labels. Their original frac was on a solid white, but I haven't seen any in person. I asked @Gear to turn the denom colour to red to indicate that it's a tribute chip.

Of note, I did the label-over on what I consider a "Good" condition chip, i.e. fits only 20 per barrel in a Paulson rack, some edge wear but most still stand, few flea bites, etc. and can say that at least 95% of the time you can't tell there is a hot stamp underneath this. Most of the hot stamps were worn smooth with use, but for those that were in better condition I smoothened it down with some tenacious Magic Eraser work, and it did the job. No milling required. This can open up some interesting opportunities for a lot of chips that I still have in inventory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom