The Barrel House - Custom CPC HHR Cash Set Pron (1 Viewer)

Irish

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time designing and developing my Barrel House tourney set, and honestly created that set with the intention of never creating a complimentary cash set. Right around the time that set finally arrived, the number of PCFers playing in my home game grew exponentially. Once the initial clamor around the new set faded a bit - the questions started popping up: "Hey Matt, when are you getting a Barrel House cash set???". I explained my initial thoughts, that I never planned on getting one, didn't think I'd be able to make it work, yada yada yada lots of excuses. That did not temper the requests, subtle hints and not-so-subtle hints, lol. A couple of years later, a saw a thread somewhere on here about progressive bounty tourneys and was intrigued, so I decided to add a T5 chip onto the tourney set to allow for such games. I've always wanted to make a chip with butterscotch as the base color, and found the perfect color combo for a T5 chip for the set. When they arrived this time last year, I completely fell in love with the chip, and decided this would make an incredible starting point for a Barrel House cash set......

I wanted to design the cash set such that it would look like it belonged to the same family as the tourney - but not too close. As I noted in the original design thread, for tourney set, I tried to pick spots that allowed lots of base clay to shine through and define the chip, while complimenting the base color with splashes of high contrast spot colors. The butterscotch chip somewhat followed that trend, but to a much lesser extent, and the end product was something more subdued. And given that chip had a 2A12 spot pattern, any kind of "typical" spot progression wasn't going to work here. So I reversed course just a bit. I still wanted chips that would be easily distinguishable (ie - that's a BLUE chip, that's a RED chip). And I wanted chips that had big, rich base colors like the butterscotch fiver. For spots, I decide to go with a kind of reverse spot progression - starting with a quarter pie frac, and progressively making the spots fewer and smaller. I really like CPC's regular blue as a base for a dollar (another under-rated color!), so that was set pretty early. I originally had numerous mockups for the quarter using retro lavender (probably my favorite CPC color), but after playing with @ReallyGoodUsername 's Lakeshores this past summer, I totally fell in love with the brick red quarters in that set and decided to use it here in the quarter pie. I went through many iterations on pretty much every other chip (maybe I'll post them in the mockup thread at some point), and ultimately ended up with the lineup here. The most difficult one was the hundo - and after batting around 100 different ideas, I remembered that I already have the colors for my perfect black hundred chip, so I just tweaked up the design a bit to distinguish it from the tourney set. And oh yeah........ #TeamGreenTwenty!!!!

I want to thank all my PCF locals who poked and prodded me over the past few years to ultimately get this set - @sgago84 @JMC9389 @CantSpellPoker @Phish1321 @Nuhockey @theewpice @randy2310 @juankay20 . While I really love how this set came out, this is really a set for you and our group - so I hope you guys all enjoy it too. I look forward to many future games taking all your monies with them ;) :D

Anyways, enough banter - onto the pron:

25¢ - Red 1/4PIE3C with Charcoal / Gray spots

tARwM4s.jpg

$1 - Blue 3A916 with DG Peach / Bright White / Light Blue Spots
feO81A5.jpg

$5 - Butterscotch 2A12 with Canary / Maroon spots
3JrKZYe.jpg

$20 - Light Green 2V12214 with Green / DG Arc Yellow / Green spots
vGZkKTm.jpg

$100 - Black 414418 with DG Peacock / DG Green spots
ImcROAX.jpg

hLXarks.jpg

fx1WbRU.jpg

lRuRai9.jpg

kpJfaWy.jpg

kC9nlWa.jpg

Vkjy2Rs.jpg

25¢/25¢ starting stack
wxR6IEC.jpg

25¢/50¢ starting stack
kKbmNqf.jpg

I also took the opportunity to get a fun, odd-denomination chip made. We have lots of "tree fiddy" bets at our games, so I commemorated that with a special $3.50 chip......

qKgfHhX.jpg

For the backside inlay design, I commissioned my son to create some loch ness monster artwork - South Park style. He did an fantastic job with my request, even color matched portions to the chip! Scanned his artwork and CPC's incredible printing did the rest:

r0cy6wG.jpg

EgWMtJW.jpg

Last edited:
Really love the $1s and quarters! Great choice for spots and colours!
Awesome man! The HHR mold is definitely my favorite. I love that frac and butterscotch for a five is killer.
+1, frac through $5 are solid. Can’t wait to play with them in a few months and glad the Lakeshores made an impact!

I'll be honest. I had my doubts about the charcoal spot on the quarter over maroon. You made the right call. Watching these in action last night felt like we were actually playing a poker game in a bourbon distillery tasting room. I love how the whole set came out and I hope will be one to be enjoyed for many years to come. To many pots pushed your way, just not against me!

Awesome set Matt!! Congrats and great job with the chip designs…all of them. I remember having that exact frac (with pink base) for my set until the very last decision. Love it in red. And reg blue is killer and so underused imho. Really really cool feel across the whole lineup.

Favorite = dollah (just edging out the frac)

Awesome set Matt!! Congrats and great job with the chip designs…all of them. I remember having that exact frac (with pink base) for my set until the very last decision. Love it in red. And reg blue is killer and so underused imho. Really really cool feel across the whole lineup.

Favorite = dollah (just edging out the frac)
We have very similar tastes in chipes Al :tup:

Getting to play with the Knollwoods in person a couple of years ago cemented the desire to get a blue chip, those $1s are just killer. I was a little concerned that regular blue had darkened a bit in recent years, but these came out just like I had hoped. IMHO red, blue & butterscotch are all seriously underused colors, you don't need all dayglow colors to produce awesome chips!

The host must lose money when playing with his customs. Thems the rules.

Take solace in knowing you’re playing with a beautiful set.

The host must lose money when playing with his customs. Thems the rules.

Take solace in knowing you’re playing with a beautiful set.
You have to actually go to the host's house to take his money....

Hope you and the family are well, you were missed yesterday!

I'll be honest. I had my doubts about the charcoal spot on the quarter over maroon. You made the right call.

In a different set, maroon would totally work with a red 1/4 pie. Could be paired with white, grey, dg pink. It just didn't fit as well here for my tastes.

Great job with the design. Love the old school feel to these.

I’m going up to stay in a cabin at Loch Ness in a couple of weeks so I’ll try and get approval for the tree fiddy chip from herself.

What an awesome set! Love the unique, rich color scheme. That frac is just beautiful. And I’ve always loved your color scheme on the hundo in the tourney set. That set was one of the inspirations for my recently finished set that should arrive sometime this summer. You’ve got a great eye for color combos. Congrats on another beautiful set to play with.

Appreciate all the comments folks, thanks. These will hit the felt for their "official" inaugural game this Saturday. Hopefully I'm able to keep a few in front of me by the end of the evening lol.

Can't believe I missed these and very happy to see them pop up! They definitely feel like they came from the same family!

I think you're dead on that CPC blue is often overlooked, but you've done it a great justice and my favorite chip is actually the $1.

I hope you post pictures of them in play their first game!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom