The Kat Kase - a super secret project in conjuction with PokerChipsDesign (2 Viewers)

Toby

Full House
Reaction score
I've been working on a CPC custom set for a while now (forever!).

Um-ing and ah-ing over finalizing a design (hey, I'm Libran [and I'm going to keep writing this until it becomes science fact]), I asked CPC could do me a limited 'art prototype' run so I could see some chipes in hand. It was at a premium and is not something they normally do, but my timing was good.

The chip god @Johnny5 designed the inlay and supplied the artwork files. Spheres were aligning.

I planned to give a protosample to the 5 folk who contributed most to the the design evolution thread. This turned to thinking that a sample set was cool but I wanted to do more to mark the design journey and to thank those who'd offered up their time and expertise.

I approached the highly awesome Alain-Pierre of @PokerChipsDesign to commission a Kase custom variant to house the chips.

The 'Kat Kase' is the result and we're sent to @BGinGA @courage @jbutler @Mr Tree and @stocky to say "Thanks" for their roles in shaping the design. @Johnny5 also got one, for being The Man.

The super sweet Kat Kase design includes:

• custom lid engraving
  • custom strap cat medaillon ("buckle")
  • Solid Gold* Custom Numbered Certificate of Awesometicity
  • slots to hold 6 airtites
  • felt lined interior

Each recipient's Kat Kase has a unique MD-50 artwork prototype sample set of 6 chips. I got sufficient chipes from the factory for no two of these to be alike. Some sets have entirely unique individual chips, of which there were only one produced. Not even I have several of these chipes in the leftovers.

Who got what was decided at random by a draw.

The goal with the Kat Kase was to create a unique, never-to-be-repeated gift for forum members, who I like to think of as friends (whether they like it or not).

Anyhoo the noo, on to the pr0n...

AP super inner packaging:

IMG_2007_zpskjsyz9ck.jpg

6 Kitties come out to play, stacked:

IMG_2008_zpssl1lqmrh.jpg

Above view of all 6:

IMG_2009_zpsoawdyozj.jpg

Box standing on end, lid view showing custom strap buckle:

IMG_2010_zpssmj5yli9.jpg

Kat in hand:

IMG_2028_zpssm0l2ntp.jpg

Text engraving detail:

IMG_2030_zps3suyobni.jpg

Box lid detail:

IMG_2034_zpszeagxuen.jpg

Box corner detail:

IMG_2047_zps8uk0ppfn.jpg

Box underside with AP's logo:

IMG_2048_zpskqqblobj.jpg

Custom 'medaillon' detail:

IMG_2021_zpsnxk3jc6g.jpg

Lid lifted, showing base and receptacle for 6 x 39mm Airtites:

IMG_2011_zpsbqctnjhk.jpg

Solid Gold* Certificate of Awesometicity close up:

IMG_2012_zps0pgb7oub.jpg

@jbutler's kitties:

IMG_2013_zpsc0mscbhw.jpg

@stocky's Certificate of Awesometicity:

IMG_2037_zpsj01xxbsq.jpg

@jbutler's protosample set:

jbutler5_zps6wvrbxsn.jpg

@jbutler's set with q-pie chip removed from its bed:

jbutler4_zpsgupcy6xb.jpg

@Johnny5's line up with unique hundo and 500 chips:

j51_zpsswept3sw.jpg

@stocky's kitties:

stocky1_zpsib8pdjgv.jpg

@BGinGA's kitties:

BGinGA2_zpscdftqold.jpg

@Mr Tree's kitties:

mr-tree_zpsshqwawox.jpg

These pics were taken late at night in poor light, so I entreat all recipients and Allain-Pierre to post their own, better ones!

Dunno about anyone else, but I'd love a set of @Puggy's Colony Club chips in a Kolony Klub Kase. Or @Ben's spectacular Via Lactea set or @Phantom's Blades set in one of these bad boys...

Could be a decent candidate for a meatup prize, or just a special gift for that special someone in your chiplife.

You get the point, so give all ur moniez to @PokerChipsDesign post haste!

If I had my time over again, I'd have got one made up for David Spragg, for being generally awesome, and one for Tommy, for creating such a great hangout for us all. Oh, and I'd get one for me!!! I'm such a dummy!

*color

Last edited:
I cordially invite the recipients to post some pics of their own. :)

Holy shit!! That has to be one of the best, most thoughtful, cool, etc. gifts/gestures I've ever seen. I honestly can't explain in words right now how frickin awesome those are. I need to step away from the computer to process what I just saw. :D

Last edited:
The packaging on this was over the top. I wish I would have taken more photos but I got so excited I ripped everything open.

The feeling I had opening this was akin to getting a luxury gift like a high end Swiss watch. It was just so well done. Toby you rock and thank you for the amazing gift. Also the package did have the humor you would expect from Toby as well....

Edit:

Oh and way to set the bar for the rest of us!

BTW Toby I am reminded of a conversation I had with BGinGA when we drove up together to Ben's in September. We were talking about your inlay on these chips. At the time others had to talk you into going with it as it wasn't what you had originally mentally pictured, but we were pretty unanimous that you had to use it. Dave's words were along the lines of "All of J5's inlays are good, but every now and then one of them is special. That one is VERY special."

@Toby rules beyond belief. I knew something was coming, but was absolutely floored when it arrived. My wife sent a couple pics of the chips themselves, but it wasn't until I got home and did the unboxing myself that I saw the true extent of the sickness inside the box from the Shire.

First, an amazing looking custom box with sweet bow and some kind of stretchy thing. Both of which were of great interest to Pumpkin. He was a fan of the whole unboxing process actually.

3jxF3V3.jpg

Wait, even the stretchy thing is customized?!?

WVT6NB0.jpg

Box so sweet.

mcd3vDF.jpg

And now even the underside of the box lid is customized? With a GOLDEN PLAQUE?!?

eZlaCmz.jpg

Then a beautiful postcard (same front as Tom's above) complete with the scrawlings of the mad Scottish carpetbagger.

V8k8AcS.jpg

Last but obviously not least, the actual beautiful chips.

Pykz1vu.jpg

When I first opened it up I was immediately drawn to the red $1 quarter pie. What a ridiculously beautiful chip. And I had no idea Toby was even considering this color and spot combo for this chip. Now I know why I didn't know...because he wasn't. But I adored the chip and messaged him saying it was my favorite and would be my go-to card capper for the foreseeable future.

Luckily enough, it works well when paired with the @links_slayer card capper and in conjunction they blessed me with some suckout skills this past weekend.

pNDnNrCl.jpg

@Toby you are the man obviously. Insane gift. Insane new standard set for chipper generosity. Thank you!

wonderful, just curious, did you offer samples of the black cat CPC order?

This is not a chip set. It's some prototype chips.

I will be offering sample sets of the fo' real set once it's finalized
Yes I meant the regular chip set, not your fawesome cases and whatnot. Great news either way!

These are like fantasy chips. My understanding (which could be very wrong) is this was effectively like hitting the random button on colors and edge spots.

BTW Toby I am reminded of a conversation I had with BGinGA when we drove up together to Ben's in September. We were talking about your inlay on these chips. At the time others had to talk you into going with it as it wasn't what you had originally mentally pictured, but we were pretty unanimous that you had to use it. Dave's words were along the lines of "All of J5's inlays are good, but every now and then one of them is special. That one is VERY special."

High praise indeed. I guess I should get them made.

Or will I change them again..? Hmm... ;)

These are like fantasy chips. My understanding (which could be very wrong) is this was effectively like hitting the random button on colors and edge spots.

Sort of. They were randomly chosen among spot/color combinations which had been previously designed by other CPC customers.

Which reminds me, @stocky had a great idea in the PM thread we've had going about these for a couple of weeks (as we awaited delivery of the last couple of sets before Toby made the public post) - he suggested we try to identify the inlays originally intended to go on these blanks as they were created.

For instance, the red and green quarter pies were originally likely @Psypher1000's Armory chips. The gray 414 was likely originally a Rounders frac from @ChaosRock's semi-custom Rounders cash set. The white, red, and black 414s and the purple 614 were likely originally a Rounders hundo. And so on. I can't remember at the moment, but I would love to see if we could identify the rest of the chips according to their original designs as well.

For instance, the red and green quarter pies were originally likely @Psypher1000's Armory chips. The gray 414 was likely originally a Rounders frac from @ChaosRock's semi-custom Rounders cash set. The white, red, and black 414s and the purple 614 were likely originally a Rounders hundo. And so on. I can't remember at the moment, but I would love to see if we could identify the rest of the chips according to their original designs as well.

A full shot of all the chips designated by the recipient of each line-up:

r627GwH.png

Okay, to further this project, I identify the following unique chips among those sent out. Colors are approximated and used for identification purposes only. I have listed the sets to which I believe these chips correspond. Would love to see additional thoughts. There are a couple of specific ones that look so, so familiar to me, but which I can't place.

Blue 314 Pink - @ophiuchus_99's Copperhead Road
Red 1/4 Pie Pink - @Psypher1000's Armory
Grey 414A Orange - @ChaosRock's Semi-custom Rounders
Green 414 Black - @Racer96's Rounders
Butterscotch 6A14 Chocolate Retro Lavender - @courage's Club Courage Twin Spires
Black 3D14 Purple Red
Black 414 DG Green - @Racer96's Rounders
Purple 314 Green
White 112 Red
Yellow 314 Red
Red 3A14 Yellow Purple Green
Purple 614 Arc Yellow - @Racer96's Rounders
White 414 Pink - @Racer96's Rounders
Red 414 DG Yellow - @Racer96's Rounders
Black 1/4 Pie Purple - @Psypher1000's Armory
Red 312 Black - @courage's Club Courage Hotstamps

Last edited:

BTW, note that I got a big fat "F" in the random draw and yet I still received what is undoubtedly the coolest of all the sample sets*. Yet another reminder that life ain't fair.

*To be fair I think we all feel that way, but I adore by red quarter pie.

A full shot of all the chips designated by the recipient of each line-up:

r627GwH.png

Okay, to further this project, I identify the following unique chips among those sent out. Colors are approximated and used for identification purposes only. I have listed the sets to which I believe these chips correspond. Would love to see additional thoughts. There are a couple of specific ones that look so, so familiar to me, but which I can't place.

Blue 314 Pink - @ophiuchus_99's Copperhead Road
Red 1/4 Pie Pink - @Psypher1000's Armory
Grey 414A Orange - @ChaosRock's Semi-custom Rounders
Green 414 Black - @Racer96's Rounders
Butterscotch 6A14 Chocolate Retro Lavender - @courage's Club Courage Twin Spires
Black 3D14 Purple Red
Black 414 DG Green - @Racer96's Rounders
Purple 314 Green
White 112 Red
Yellow 314 Red
Red 3A14 Yellow Purple Green
Purple 614 Arc Yellow - @Racer96's Rounders
White 414 Pink - @Racer96's Rounders
Red 414 DG Yellow - @Racer96's Rounders
Black 1/4 Pie Purple - @Psypher1000's Armory
Red 312 Black - @courage's Club Courage Hotstamps

C-4: Black/Blue 1/4 - The Armory bounty chip, me thinks.

Enormous thanks to Toby the Great for the awesome and thoughtful gift. Such a clever and wonderful way to celebrate an instant HOF set.

We're slow in Kentucky, so I was last to receive mine. The local post office also conspired to insure I'd be an extra 5 days late getting them. #gotdangson!

The others were waiting for this red shirt to finally get on board with the mission, so I tried to slow roll the pr0n, but the anticipation overcame me. Straight from the shire:
20151208_115813_zpsvsnei6rl.jpg

Could be hobbit foodstuffs?
20151208_121649_zpsjiwvqbsn.jpg

Sweet, horses and demons are never a bad combo.
20151208_121804_zpskbmqs2dw.jpg

I translated most of this to mean, "Unique treasure. No perilous journey required."
20151208_122018_zpsikbfultb.jpg

Stunned. Engraving is amazing and like Pumpkin I was mesmerized by custom stretchy thing.
20151208_122108_zpsh7ppvzld.jpg

Holy cow.
20151208_122346_zpsfj8i3kr2.jpg

A message for my compatriots who taunted me while I awaited the arrival of the last package.
20151208_122443_zpslcfn1h91.jpg

Cherished chipes! lol @ drawing, mine fit no pattern, but I love them even more. The quarter and quarter are my favs but all are fantastique!
20151208_144219_zpspu0j038e.jpg

It's like Toby knew the answer to a question I'd never asked.
Carnac-the-magnificent-johnny-carson.jpg

Toby my son, you are without a doubt one splendid fella. I am blown away by the level of thoughtfulness and the desire to ensure that people are valued for contributing to something you love. True friendship (enabling ;)). The chips are of course, amazing; the box, amazing @PokerChipsDesign ; the cards, hilarious and from the heart. You sir, are a class act all the way.

Adam

P.S. Thanks so much for including me in your depraved, extravagant, decadent behaviour, my wife is going to kill me :). I am starting the design right away - you gotta die of something :).

This makes me want to design and purchase a set of customs just to be able to do something like this. (y) :thumbsup:

I've been working on a CPC custom set for a while now (forever!).

Um-ing and ah-ing over finalizing a design (hey, I'm Libran [and I'm going to keep writing this until it becomes science fact]), I asked CPC could do me a limited 'art prototype' run so I could see some chipes in hand. It was at a premium and is not something they normally do, but my timing was good.

The chip god @Johnny5 designed the inlay and supplied the artwork files. Spheres were aligning.

I planned to give a protosample to the 5 folk who contributed most to the the design evolution thread. This turned to thinking that a sample set was cool but I wanted to do more to mark the design journey and to thank those who'd offered up their time and expertise.

I approached the highly awesome Alain-Pierre of @PokerChipsDesign to commission a Kase custom variant to house the chips.

The 'Kat Kase' is the result and we're sent to @BGinGA @courage @jbutler @Mr Tree and @stocky to say "Thanks" for their roles in shaping the design. @Johnny5 also got one, for being The Man.

The super sweet Kat Kase design includes:

• custom lid engraving
  • custom strap cat medaillon ("buckle")
  • Solid Gold* Custom Numbered Certificate of Awesometicity
  • slots to hold 6 airtites
  • felt lined interior

Each recipient's Kat Kase has a unique MD-50 artwork prototype sample set of 6 chips. I got sufficient chipes from the factory for no two of these to be alike. Some sets have entirely unique individual chips, of which there were only one produced. Not even I have several of these chipes in the leftovers.

The goal with the Kat Kase was to create a unique, never-to-be-repeated gift for forum members, who I like to think of as friends (whether they like it or not).

Anyhoo the noo, on to the pr0n...

AP super inner packaging:

IMG_2007_zpskjsyz9ck.jpg

6 Kitties come out to play:

IMG_2008_zpssl1lqmrh.jpg

Above view of all 6:

IMG_2009_zpsoawdyozj.jpg

Box standing on end, lid view showing custom strap buckle:

IMG_2010_zpssmj5yli9.jpg

Kat in hand:

IMG_2028_zpssm0l2ntp.jpg

Text engraving detail:

IMG_2030_zps3suyobni.jpg

Box lid detail:

IMG_2034_zpszeagxuen.jpg

Box corner detail:

IMG_2047_zps8uk0ppfn.jpg

Box underside with AP's logo:

IMG_2048_zpskqqblobj.jpg

Custom 'medaillon' detail:

IMG_2021_zpsnxk3jc6g.jpg

Lid lifted, showing base and receptacle for 6 x 39mm Airtites:

IMG_2011_zpsbqctnjhk.jpg

Solid Gold* Certificate of Awesometicity close up:

IMG_2012_zps0pgb7oub.jpg

@jbutler's kitties:

IMG_2013_zpsc0mscbhw.jpg

@stocky's Certificate of Awesometicity:

IMG_2037_zpsj01xxbsq.jpg

@jbutler's protosample set:

jbutler5_zps6wvrbxsn.jpg

@jbutler's set with q-pie chip removed from its bed:

jbutler4_zpsgupcy6xb.jpg

@Johnny5's line up with unique hundo and 500 chips:

j51_zpsswept3sw.jpg

@stocky's kitties:

stocky1_zpsib8pdjgv.jpg

@BGinGA's kitties:

BGinGA2_zpscdftqold.jpg

@Mr Tree's kitties:

mr-tree_zpsshqwawox.jpg

These pics were taken late at night in poor light, so I entreat all recipients and Allain-Pierre to post their own, better ones!

Dunno about anyone else, but I'd love a set of @Puggy's Colony Club chips in a Kolony Klub Kase. Or @Ben's spectacular Via Lactea set or @Phantom's Blades set in one of these bad boys...

Could be a decent candidate for a meatup prize, or just a special gift for that special someone in your chiplife.

You get the point, so give all ur moniez to @PokerChipsDesign post haste!

If I had my time over again, I'd have got one made up for David Spragg, for being generally awesome, and one for Tommy, for creating such a great hangout for us all. Oh, and I'd get one for me!!! I'm such a dummy!

*color

LIKE ;)

@Toby Baggins you sir are a true gentleman. Thank you so much for including me in the select group of recipients. And quite possibly one of the most epic convos ever ;). All that work of bombing everyone's design threads is starting to pay dividends.

At the moment my package is taking pride of place on my bookshelf. My only complaint is I can't display the chips, cover and plaque all at once :) When my wife saw the package she was very surprised. Couldn't quite compute how someone I'd never met in person could be so generous. It is members like you who make this community so great.

image.jpg

I see stuff like this and two things come to mind.

1. I'm mildly covetous. Sinful, I know, but dude...limited quantity combined with limitless quality. What's not to want?
  2. I should quit trying to make sets and just try to buy sets of others' customs. I look at my ideas compared to this and they just don't rate. These are the types of things that my ideas aspire to.
@Toby - Well, well done, sir! /salute

I'm going to go back to writing SQL code now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom