THE HOT SAUCE THREAD (6 Viewers)

I'm in the process of growing my pappers again. Only 2 out of 10 bushes survived winter. It's not easy to live here....This is 6 months old fermentation jar.. Mostly habanero
IMG_20210404_072009.jpg

We bring ours indoors every winter as they are in pots, guessing yours are in the ground?
Nope, relocated to buckets and straight to celler. Unfortunately that was the last of mine habanero chocolate. I try to score some seeds but so far going with serrano.
Looking also for mulata but even seeds are extremely rare in my neck of woods.

@Darson ... we made something evil!!
20210907_190111.jpg

After 5 - 6 years next to each other in pots (we keep our plants alive year round indoors in the winter) @FordPickup92 just came back in and asked me... "BEN WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??"

Well... that is a Trinidad Scorpion crossed with Satan! (Carolina Reaper)

I need to get those pepper X's growing this winter and really make something evil in a few more years! Lol

Yes a Reaper Tail on a Scorpion... definitely not going to be friendly tasting!!

A
View attachment 772561
After 5 - 6 years next to each other in pots (we keep our plants alive year round indoors in the winter) @FordPickup92 just came back in and asked me... "BEN WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??"

I need to get those pepper X's growing this winter and really make something evil in a few more years! Lol

Yes a Reaper Tail on a Scorpion... definitely not going to be friendly tasting!!
Any chance you share seeds? My top hot is habanero chocolate and the season was good, I managed to keep my bushes alive throughout winter and it payes off...

A
Any chance you share seeds? My top hot is habanero chocolate and the season was good, I managed to keep my bushes alive throughout winter and it payes off...
I let my peppers dry and then grind them but I can cut one and pull seeds and dry them for you. I don't know what to call this... I guarantee they are pure Evil!! The last batch I got from that plant was hotter than Carolina Reapers! They still looked like scorpions then... I am almost afraid of how hot this pepper is going to be!

Full disclosure, I am not responsible if you grow Satans Colon from these seeds!! Lmao

View attachment 772561

Sounds wicked hot! I love it. Apparently so do the poker chips! Lol!

I let my peppers dry and then grind them but I can cut one and pull seeds and dry them for you. I don't know what to call this... I guarantee they are pure Evil!! The last batch I got from that plant was hotter than Carolina Reapers! They still looked like scorpions then... I am almost afraid of how hot this pepper is going to be!

Full disclosure, I am not responsible if you grow Satans Colon from these seeds!! Lmao
Much obliged.... Switching to Pm

What does everyone think of Dave's?
Dave's is the first truly hot sauce I ever tried more than 20 years ago. It's stupid hot but it made with capsaicin extract and I don't buy any sauces that have extract in them. It's really too hot to use in any quantity so you can't really taste any flavour - just heat.

I like Tabasco but I like their company values even more. There are a couple of short docu type videos on their history, production etc that are worth a watch. I respect the hell out of a family owned company that has been around as long as they have!
Is Chipotle Tabasco considered “hot” sauce? Or just sauce…… hmmm

Is Chipotle Tabasco considered “hot” sauce? Or just sauce…… hmmm
I've got such mixed feelings about tabasco sauce. Like I like it, and I use it pretty regularly, but I use it to add a flavor to a dish, not as a hot sauce. I never use them 'on top' of a dish, only when cooking. Like I use the regular stuff to add a vinegar flavor to a dish and I use the chipotle to add a smokey flavor to a dish. Neither of them is really very hot.

I like cholula at this point for 'on top'. It isn't the best or my favorite, but it's super easy to find anywhere and I know what I'm getting into.

I've got such mixed feelings about tabasco sauce. Like I like it, and I use it pretty regularly, but I use it to add a flavor to a dish, not as a hot sauce. I never use them 'on top' of a dish, only when cooking. Like I use the regular stuff to add a vinegar flavor to a dish and I use the chipotle to add a smokey flavor to a dish. Neither of them is really very hot.

I like cholula at this point for 'on top'. It isn't the best or my favorite, but it's super easy to find anywhere and I know what I'm getting into.
Cholula is great, I only hade basic version, never tried lime, garlic or Chipotle...

But on Tabasco.... It is hot for many people that not very familiar with capsaicin blessed plants...

I know there’s a few people from NYC that might want to check this out. I’m planning on being there while visiting family that weekend

D506A43E-7921-462D-88BD-55E17310D674.jpeg

I've made a new discovery - you can add potato to hot sauce and it doesn't really impact the flavour but you get thickness like ketchup. I'm now in the midst of making a ton of thick sauces - this is so much fun! The only problem is bottling them. I need to find a source for cheap squeeze bottles that I can sterilize and hot fill.

51615424994_dfd387d66f_c.jpg

51627373817_3dc97de308_c.jpg

I need to find a source for cheap squeeze bottles that I can sterilize and hot fill.
Send your sauces to me.

I work for Cheap Squeeze Bottles Amalgamated, Inc., and I will gladly bottle them for you and return whatever is left over when I'm done all of the sauce.*

* Return of sauce not guaranteed due to supply chain problems.

I've made a new discovery - you can add potato to hot sauce and it doesn't really impact the flavour but you get thickness like ketchup. I'm now in the midst of making a ton of thick sauces - this is so much fun! The only problem is bottling them. I need to find a source for cheap squeeze bottles that I can sterilize and hot fill.

I am not sure if that wouldn't require tantalizing (double sterilization process)

I just discovered this thread. IT’S GREAT! I love hot sauces. There are a bunch listed here that I’m going to try!

A story about Dave’s Insanity… A lot of year’s ago (15+) I went to lunch with a co-worker. We went to a restaurant named The Fire House. They boasted over 110 hot sauces. My friend put a few drops of Dave’s Insanity on this hamburger. His first bite, his face turned bright bright red, it took his breath away, and his lip blistered where he got a little sauce on it. He definitely couldn’t taste his lunch after that first bite! I like hot, but not that hot.

I think I may have to package a sampler set of a few of the sauces listed here for Christmas presents. Darson, your sauces look awesome!

Do you cook the potato, or any other ingredients, before blending?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom