THE HOT SAUCE THREAD (2 Viewers)

I found where I can buy Melinda's in Sweden, and so I'm also wondering this:

I've tried googling for Scoville scores, but to no avail. @Moxie Mike, do you know any sources for this?

The only one I know of for sure is the Red Savina, which according to this retailer has an lab tested SHU rating of 577,000. The Scorpion Pepper, Ghost Pepper and Naga Jolokia sauces are hotter IMO. All have truly outstanding flavor. I love Melinda's sauces so much!

Heat factor is subjective and depends on your level of tolerance. As a point of reference my SIL lives in El Paso... plus she's her husband is Mexican so that automatically qualifies her as an expert on all things spicy food. She's also a medical professional if that matters.

She told me that the human body processes capsaicin the same way the mind processes a chemical addition and builds up a tolerance accordingly. This is why food that seems spicy now might not seem so bad a year from now.

Melinda's order COMPLETE!! Went with the following, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x respectively

1588010676937.png
1588010699282.png
1588010714216.png
1588010729582.png

Very excited to get these and the Bertie's sauce SOON!!

Thanks for your response, Mike!

The only one I know of for sure is the Red Savina, which according to this retailer has an lab tested SHU rating of 577,000.
I found that text as well when googling, and I believe they are referencing the fruit, not the sauce.

Yeah, I realize it's subjective. I was hoping to compare to some Blair's sauces which have a documented score before I buy. I don't want to be in over my head! :confused

On their site they say the Naga Jolokia and the Ghost Pepper Sauces are 1,000,000 Scoville units. I think I will stay away from those :eek:

Melinda's order COMPLETE!! Went with the following, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x respectively

View attachment 448437View attachment 448438View attachment 448439View attachment 448440

Very excited to get these and the Bertie's sauce SOON!!

I found the extra and xxxtra hot to be pretty interchangeable flavor-wise - they were good but neither earned a permanent place in the cabinet. Mango is great in a lot of stuff but not very spicy; and Scotch Bonnet is so good I order them 2 bottles at a time.
On their site they say the Naga Jolokia and the Ghost Pepper Sauces are 1,000,000 Scoville units. I think I will stay away from those :eek:

I think they're referring to the peppers themselves... not the sauces. Don't get me wrong they're hot... but not unbearably so - at least not by my standards :) YMMV.

Enjoy!!!

The downside of this thread, much like many on this site, is that it has me buying more stuff that I don't really need!

Yellowbird - Habanero is good for just heating something up, it doesn't have a strong taste; Serrano is great for flavor and a milder heat
I really like the Yellowbird ghost pepper sauce. I brought a bottle to the Alamo last year. My only complaint is that it's not available in larger bottles!

Does anyone here like the Blair's Death Sauce line-up? I really like the Original Death Sauce, great taste a not too much heat. I've also tasted their Mega Death Sauce, which is the opposite: Too much heat so you can't feel the taste! ;)
Personally I'm not a fan of Dave's but I was introduced to them in college many many years ago when they were mainly extract based sauces. Far too hot to really discern any flavour.

I stopped buying extract sauces many years ago. I think they're more of a gimmick than anything else.

Interested to know your thoughts on Berties.

So far so good. I took just a couple dabs so far, my initial impression is great heat and great flavor. We are having some wings tomorrow and we will obviously be trying most of these sauces then. TBH it is going to take me a long time to truly experience these hot sauces on different foods and such to get a real appreciation for them. First impressions can sometimes IMPROVE or DECLINE over time. There are so many new hot sauces for me to try all of a sudden! I am glad I created this thread and I would like to thank all of you who have given your recommendations. This will be a HOT fun road to travel!!

Last edited:
Just killed this bottle with some corned beef hash. Hope to order more, it’s got a nice bite but not overly hot and nice acidity without being overly vinegary.
47D05F65-2D7C-40AF-A37A-F5B0D093CFA8.jpeg

This has been a FUN experiment. I have tried some great sauces and some not so great. I have definitely found some new hot sauces that will be regulars moving forward.

Here is the family photo of the participants -

20200502_150151.jpg

And these sauces emerge as some of the BEST hot sauces I have EVER had!! The winners circle -

20200502_150358.jpg

Digging this thread! I’ve always loved hot sauce and spicy foods but never really tried different brands. I always stuck to my old stand bys. Use to use Tobasco years ago, then use to roast jalapeños, and then just bought a couple at the market.

Now

EB2E3412-5C8A-4C94-980A-7EC41017FA6E.jpeg

And this Harissa is great on sandwiches or eggs
E3F07192-8A3B-46E0-8EDF-A22E9009F18E.jpeg

Digging this thread! I’ve always loved hot sauce and spicy foods but never really tried different brands. I always stuck to my old stand bys. Use to use Tobasco years ago, then use to roast jalapeños, and then just bought a couple at the market.

Now

View attachment 451892

And this Harissa is great on sandwiches or eggs
View attachment 451893

How are the Trader Joes sauces?

The Trader Joe’s sauces are pretty decent. They were satisfying my taste for a little heat. However, I’m just really liking the Melinda’s sauces. I thought I may have made a mistake buying the Ghost pepper sauce. It’s now my favorite. Definitely has some heat but you can use it pretty liberally and it tastes good. I hate sauces that are hot just for the sake of being hot. The aardvark sauce is unique, liking that as well. Thanks to al for recommending some of these sauces!

The Trader Joe’s sauces are pretty decent. They were satisfying my taste for a little heat. However, I’m just really liking the Melinda’s sauces. I thought I may have made a mistake buying the Ghost pepper sauce. It’s now my favorite. Definitely has some heat but you can use it pretty liberally and it tastes good. I hate sauces that are hot just for the sake of being hot. The aardvark sauce is unique, liking that as well. Thanks to al for recommending some of these sauces!

Yeah, I thought I made a mistake buying the Naga Jolokia, but while it IS hot, it is tolerable and very TASTY!! One of my favorites of the Melinda's I have had. I will buy that ghost pepper sauce next time for sure

The Chelsea Massachusetts Fire dept makes hot sauce. I can remember about 10 years ago a fire fighter gave me a bottle to try while I was at work. Stuff was drastic. When the guy saw me again... “ what are trying to do kill me, Jake?” He’s like...Pretty Hot huh ? Anyone ever hear of it or try it ?

I DRASTICALLY underestimated the heat on this sauce. I have been on FIRE for the last 30 minutes for using too much of it. The flavor is BY FAR the best I have had out of any of them, pretty sure I already stated that earlier: definitely on the sweet side, but sooooo yummy

ok, so there are so many jokes here. However, jokes aside, this sauce IS my favorite!!! One could state that I LOVE dirty dicks!

1588565329218.png

yes, you might say that the dirty dicks lit my ass on fire just now

or, that the dirty dicks was too hot for me to handle!!

or, that the dirty dicks just fucked me and I am on fire!

or, insert funny I guess, lol

Bottom line: This sauce is LEGIT!!

Tabasco Based: of the three main tabasco pepper sauces - Tabasco, Louisiana, and Krystal - I find Louisiana to be the best balance of heat and vinegar.
1588694533347.png

Mexican Sauces: of the Mexican sauces - Cholula, Valentina, Tapatio, the El Yucatecos - two rise to the top for me, Valentina Black Label and El Yucateco XXXtra hot.
1588694805691.png
1588694987266.png

Freaking Hot: For serious heat but with balanced flavor, I am addicted to BigFats 7o8. It is seriously hot and you only need a few drops on whatever you are using but it is so well balanced with citrus flavors it keeps me coming back.
1588695210140.png

This next rec doesn't completely fit the thread but I have to include.
Top Chinese condiment: This is the best condiment on the planet - Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp. I stole the following from an article on the subject: "No one is stopping after just a spoonful of this spicy, tingly, salty, crunchy, aromatic, funky, and flavor-packed perfection. For those who haven't yet been initiated into the Spicy Chili Crisp fan club, this condiment, made by the Laoganma company, has amassed a cult-like following, quickly rising as China’s top-selling sauce. It owes its addictive nature to a winning combination of málà sauce and crunch. Málà sauce is a chili-oil condiment made by simmering chilies, Sichuan peppercorns, and spices in oil. The resulting aromatic oil is both numbing () and hot (), but what sets Laoganma’s chili crisp apart is the "crisp" side of the equation. Packed with roasted soy nuts, fried onion, and fried garlic, it truly has everything you’ll ever need.
1588695692667.png

This is what I love about this forum. One stop shopping for chips, furniture, art, guns and Now hot sauce. Now all we need is some suited toilet paper. who needs amazon?!?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom