THE HOT SAUCE THREAD (3 Viewers)

This is not hot sauce - but a local Oregon company making some outstanding tasty HOT salsas. Same flavor but varying degrees of heat based on the concentration of some of the hottest peppers in the world including the Carolina reaper, trinidad scorpion, and the ghost pepper. They nailed a delicious smoky hot salsa that is not too crazy -- I have only had the holy smoke and the oh my goodness

1587618116980.png

I don't keep a ton of hot sauce on hand. One of the best hot sauces I recently had was in Florida. @Darson makes his own. Its sales worthy imo.

This thread reminds me of when I used to garden. I loved hot peppers. I grew habanero's, jalapenos, chili's, ect..... Mid 90's we lived in a much smaller house. While the wife and "two kids" were out I decided to try and make my own hot sauce using habanero's, tomatoes, ect...

I don't remember the exact process. I think I cooked it down a little. Then I transferred it to a food processor. After I was done I removed the lid and took a whiff. At that point I realized that I just created tear gas and released it into the house lol.

I had to open all the windows and doors. Turn on all the fans. It still took hours for the house to air out lol.

I once grew fatalii peppers. They were amazing—initial citrusy taste with a roaring heat finish that grew slowly and roared. Great for bright salsas.
But the best was ice cream. I made homemade mango ice cream with some puréed fatalii pepper in it. It was incredible, and the dairy of the ice cream made it amazing to eat since it cooled the palate. The heat built over time, and I couldn’t help but eat more ice cream, since the next bite of dairy cooled the mouth until the heat came through. Then, rinse and repeat until the bowl of goodness was gone. Sooo good.

I can't really eat spicy food any more, I still try but it burns my gums like no tomorrow. I make wings on the Kamado Joe smoker, and they come out great, my go-to sauce is a mixture of sweet chili sauce and siracha. It's a little hot so I only eat a few wings, but the flavor is awesome. Also, I never tried these, but this photo was from a market i n Toronto.
FF1B6848-7AB2-4D3E-A2AC-9C7C6CBE042D.jpeg

0DD293C5-1AAE-46C8-9A5A-9E800D61E816.jpeg

I once grew fatalii peppers. They were amazing—initial citrusy taste with a roaring heat finish that grew slowly and roared. Great for bright salsas.
But the best was ice cream. I made homemade mango ice cream with some puréed fatalii pepper in it. It was incredible, and the dairy of the ice cream made it amazing to eat since it cooled the palate. The heat built over time, and I couldn’t help but eat more ice cream, since the next bite of dairy cooled the mouth until the heat came through. Then, rinse and repeat until the bowl of goodness was gone. Sooo good.
Ben grew a ton of reapers, and some chocolate buddhas, the reaper plants produce a ton if peppers and have been alive and fertile for a few years now!

I don't think I've ever been tagged this many times in a single thread!

My staple is Sriracha - I buy it by the case. It's hot enough, easy to get out of the bottle and tastes great. My corner of the pantry:

IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

And the "collection". Bought sauces, some home made and dried whole peppers and powder.

IMG_0346.JPG

Last year was my first year seriously growing peppers. I went a bit overboard and had about 50 plants. Some typical harvests:

IMG_3941.JPG
IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

And the resulting products:

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

My staple is Sriracha - I buy it by the case. It's hot enough, easy to get out of the bottle and tastes great. My corner of the pantry:

View attachment 445466View attachment 445468

And the "collection". Bought sauces, some home made and dried whole peppers and powder.

View attachment 445472

Last year was my first year seriously growing peppers. I went a bit overboard and had about 50 plants. Some typical harvests:

View attachment 445476View attachment 445477
View attachment 445478

View attachment 445479
View attachment 445480
View attachment 445481
View attachment 445482
This is epic

View attachment 445466View attachment 445468

View attachment 445472

View attachment 445476View attachment 445477
View attachment 445478

View attachment 445479
View attachment 445480
View attachment 445481
View attachment 445482

Hello I would like to subscribe to your hot sauce delivery service, thank you.

A number of you have mentioned Trinidadian style pepper sauces like Bertie's and Matouk's. I lived in Trinidad for a few years and my favourite was Jill's. I haven't been able to find it here.

8917517549_fa8e01629f_z.jpg

Every Trini family has their own recipe for pepper sauce and there are lots of youtube videos on how to make them. They're relatively simple and keep for a long time - mainly fresh peppers, lime juice and culantro (or cilantro if you can't find it).

The SQM sauce was made from fermented white ghost peppers. It's the white jar on the right and was fermented from August to January.

IMG_3637.JPG

The end product. It was my first time wax dipping the caps so I'm not sure how well that turned out. But it looks cool!

IMG_0191.JPG

@detroitdad your care package was packed up 5 weeks ago and it still sitting on a shelf. It'll be mailed out once I'm allowed out of the house!

I save Tabasco and other types of that style red pepper sauce for Cajun food. Otherwise I love Cholula Chipotle flavor. I don't need tons of heat to enjoy a hot sauce. This has the best all around taste you can get in a bottled sauce IMO. I put it in everything you would want a hot sauce in. Most of the other Cholula flavors are meh. The best chili sauce I've ever had was at a rolling taco stand in Rocky Point, Mexico 60 miles from the AZ border. Salsa de chile chipotle y naranja

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 6.00.41 PM.png

I once scored 1,5 l bottle from restaurants delivery firm. That was sweet. By the way from 1996 to 1998 I worked as a waiter in Mexican restaurant in Warsaw called El Popo. There I have acquired taste for spicy salsas.

Some of my B.C. brethren may know about this sauce but every time my father-in-law went to B.C. over the past couple years he brings me back a bottle of the hot version:

1587756544824.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom