Tesla Model 3 (1 Viewer)

Estimates.

https://3.tesla.com/model3/delivery-estimate

upload_2017-8-26_23-19-38.png

Model 3 customer deliveries are starting/have started this week. Anybody here get to order theirs yet?

I just made a reservation 2 days ago. I assumed they would be no better, and quite likely worse than the Model S (which isn't very good) as far as driver space for the extremely-tall set. I was wrong. :oops::D (I'll have to test drive one myself, but I'm 90% sure based on specs and videos posted that it will work for me.)

So they won't get around to me for at least a year - that's cool; more chance for me to get the finances in order and for them to work out the bugs. Plus I might want the AWD option (not yet available) depending on cost. But until then, I have to live vicariously through others. :coffee:

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 9.50.37 PM.png

I am undecided if I wish to order or not. As designed with options, my cost would be ~ $59K before incentives. I may wait for all wheel drive or even cancel my reservation.

View attachment 166129

I am undecided if I wish to order or not. As designed with options, my cost would be ~ $59K before incentives. I may wait for all wheel drive or even cancel my reservation.

You probably already know this but the federal tax incentives are probably going to expire in 2018 or shortly after based on the volumes Tesla is doing now. If you wait or cancel you may not get that benefit later down the line. Can't see the current administration renewing any of those EV incentives.

They’re going to go bankrupt. Get your Modern day Edsel while you can!

I still think it's a snap buy. If Tesla goes belly-up, you own a collector's vehicle. If Tesla stays successful, you get the tax incentive, a great car (I've heard nothing but rave reviews from owners), no more trips to the gas station, a nearly zero-maintenance vehicle, and a car that is expected to last much longer than a typical automobile.

Plus, each electric vehicle to hit the road increases the demand for a nation-wide infrastructure that will support and cater to electric vehicle owners.

View attachment 166129

I would snap buy today if I could get an invite (and arrange the financing - another challenge you probably don't have to worry about; being a sole proprietor has it's disadvantages...) And I don't even know if it'll fit me great (I know it would be at least OK, but maybe not optimal.)

Don't buy the FSD now; real FSD is still several years away, at least (IMO.)

I strongly recommend sticking with the stock wheels over the $1500 "upgrade" as they provide better range and the covers can be removed when range is not a concern, leaving a decent-looking wheel underneath. Also tires wear less quickly and are cheaper to replace. If you get them and decide you really can't stand them, aftermarket wheels can be had at a similar cost.

All-wheel-drive may or may not provide some towing capacity, at a cost of probably an additional $4-5k. I'm guessing you're not wanting it for all the snow/ice in FL. :p

You will be able to still get the $7500 tax credit as long as you take delivery by Sept. 30 (possibly longer, but I wouldn't count on it.) After that it will go down to $3750 for the next 6 months.

Tesla will NOT be going bankrupt anytime soon; I'm willing to put down a large amount of action on that. :)

"Tesla will NOT be going bankrupt anytime soon; I'm willing to put down a large amount of action on that. :)"

Then do it. Buy a chunk of their stock, commensurate to the large amount of action you're willing to put down. We'll all watch and cheer together.

"Tesla will NOT be going bankrupt anytime soon; I'm willing to put down a large amount of action on that. :)"

Then do it. Buy a chunk of their stock, commensurate to the large amount of action you're willing to put down. We'll all watch and cheer together.

I already have - a very substantial amount. If I wasn't on the brink of paying off the house, I would be dumping another 10-15K into it right now, as the stock is getting pummeled along with others in the Trump trade war fiasco. Since Tesla's primary focus is US and Canada sales, I think the trade war will be a small dent in Tesla's overall profitability potential, therefore I believe the current price is oversold.

Tesla’s stock is getting pummeled because they are producing half the number of cars in their business plan and smothering under debt that can only be repaid if they sell cars they aren’t producing.

Reactions: BNM
Sure, that's there too, but it is always there. Tesla production has never met Elon Musk's lofty goals, but the stock typically gets hit with a 10% downturn, then crawls back up. The bigger overall stock market drop has led to overselling. I'd price it fairly at $300-$325, but the recent drop to $250 was absurd panic amid trade war fears.

Overvalued? Quite likely - at least until recently (one could view the downturn as more of a market correction than anything else.)

Going bankrupt? Not unless half of the Model 3's start spontaneously catching fire. Musk's BS projections aside (which everyone knows are BS by now, before they even leave his mouth) the overall speed with which they have been able to scale production has been pretty strong. And here just within the past week or two, it looks like they've really gotten over the hump. (y) :thumbsup:

I am hoping to schedule a test drive this week and then make my decision.

If you get in one, can you do me a favor? Take a pic with the camera facing directly forward and about 4 inches below the roofline (i.e. my eye level?) :)

I already have - a very substantial amount. If I wasn't on the brink of paying off the house, I would be dumping another 10-15K into it right now, as the stock is getting pummeled along with others in the Trump trade war fiasco. Since Tesla's primary focus is US and Canada sales, I think the trade war will be a small dent in Tesla's overall profitability potential, therefore I believe the current price is oversold.

So, you're saying that the trade war rhetoric is the primary reason for why Tesla stock is getting hit?

First big debt payment is in the fall. Hopefully their production ramp up will be in time.

Last edited:
Still can't order.

Kinda want AWD.

View attachment 140005

"The invites appear to still be limited to early reservation holders in California and current Tesla owners.

After designing their Model 3, they are also told that they can take delivery in about 4 weeks."
https://electrek.co/2017/12/15/tesla-model-3-batch-configuration-invites/

As a Wisconsite, I have to ask why did they made them rear wheel drive?

Standard rear while drive cars in snow handle terribly.

I would snap buy today if I could get an invite (and arrange the financing - another challenge you probably don't have to worry about; being a sole proprietor has it's disadvantages...) And I don't even know if it'll fit me great (I know it would be at least OK, but maybe not optimal.)

I'm 6'4" 250 lbs and I fit just fine in it. I can get that picture you asked for at lunch time. My Model 3 is outside in the parking lot.

I'm 6'4" 250 lbs and I fit just fine in it. I can get that picture you asked for at lunch time. My Model 3 is outside in the parking lot.
Not sure how that translates to 6'9". Do you have 3-4 inches of extra headroom? Or is it 'snug' ?

Post lots of pics please - interior and exterior.

I tried to arrange a test drive - not available. Only one on display in Florida and it is in Miami.

pron incoming, ETA 1pm pst. I won't give a full review, you can find plenty of good ones on youtube with a quick search, but I'd be happy to answer specific questions about the touch screen, dash panel usability (no standard dashboard display) etc. I've been driving the car for a few weeks.

Not sure how that translates to 6'9". Do you have 3-4 inches of extra headroom? Or is it 'snug' ?

Not sure how I'm supposed to know who is 6'9". Is it in the forum FAQ? :rolleyes:

The car has a surprisingly large amount of headroom, as stated before, I'm very comfortable in the car. For someone who is 6'9" I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to feel comfortable, not because you wouldn't fit (I don't think your head would hit the ceiling of the car) but because your line of sight would be staring into the sun shade in a normal position rather than through the windshield. But I would expect the Model 3 is about as good as any car for headroom at this size (midsize sedan). Getting in and out is fine for me but it's obviously not as comfortable as a larger car like an SUV or a large size sedan.

As a Wisconsite, I have to ask why did they made them rear wheel drive?

Standard rear while drive cars in snow handle terribly.

From the Tesla forums:
Curb weight:
3549 lbs. (Model 3)
3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
Weight distribution:
47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)

Shouldn't that help combat the problem of fishtailing in the snow, since there is plenty of weight over the drive wheels?

Pron:

xXRxDtOh.jpg

nxEHnGOh.jpg

KFc2Ovwh.jpg

BXGg4jIh.jpg

F2EzuGxh.jpg

ZvSOhRUh.jpg

UuhZAU9h.jpg

8wtKNizh.jpg

This is the view looking straight forward taken at exactly my eye level (I'm 6'4")

wFDPepRh.jpg

This view is taken 2-3 inches higher than my eye level. What I assume it would be for someone 6'9". Maybe this is a little too extreme. I'm sitting straight up so if I was this tall I could slouch a little to improve my windshield vision.

fwXbsn5h.jpg

Some other interior shots:

geNNbGzh.jpg

75myGxYh.jpg

CMgCf30h.jpg

sgHQSWgh.jpg

YvlbCeSh.jpg

This last one I was trying to show the top plexiglass panel but the interior is reflecting into it so it's hard to tell. Having the glass is partially what gives better headroom since there isn't a more bulky steel frame with headliner.

YAKaPjSh.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom