What other hobbies do you have? (3 Viewers)

illium

Reaction score
Hi!
So, as the I've liked poker chips since I was a kid and decided to start seriously getting some now. But I've got some other, quite expensive hobbies, like model railroading (mainly swedish and other scandinavian rolling stock and environments) as well as hunting (both "normal" hunting and bowhunting).
I can't reply to other similar threads so I figured I'd ask here in a new one.

Bonus points if you know where the posters are from!

Attachments

• 20210201_221221.jpg
    20210201_221221.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 115
Is that HO or N scale?

Ho scale!
Those 2 modules were built in my old apartment but I moved to a farm 2 years so now, after fixing up basically the entire f@$%>ng house, I'm going to start building a larger layout in the garage.
A sweet 40m² (360 square feet?) to build in! :D

I mainly model Sweden and Scandinavia but I've also got a few nice TGV's. And a brass model of an american SD-45T-2.

Are you a fellow model railroader?

Hey!

Welcome fellow Swede! What parts are you in? I’m just north of Stockholm myself.
Besides poker and poker chips, I like running. Poker chips is the only (thankfully) expensive hobby I got.

I’m usually interested in these lists because birds of a feather usually tend to flock together…but with poker that’s rarely the case.

Poker and chips are my least expensive hobby by far. Firearms and shooting sports are significantly more for me. I’m also very into cooking and have spent a lot of time and money trying to master Pizza and BBQ. Also into mechanical watches owning a few expensive and several mid tier pieces

I also have a completely loaded bar in my basement and have been mastering cocktails for the last 12 years.

Home theater is another but I haven’t bought anything for that since 2013

I have no more funds for my other hobbies. Haha! Basic wood working. I need to do more, learn more. Magic the gathering. Been lagging om that too. Cooking, mostly on my charcoal grill. Working on my cars. I need money for that too. Lol!

Ho scale!
Those 2 modules were built in my old apartment but I moved to a farm 2 years so now, after fixing up basically the entire f@$%>ng house, I'm going to start building a larger layout in the garage.
A sweet 40m² (360 square feet?) to build in! :D

I mainly model Sweden and Scandinavia but I've also got a few nice TGV's. And a brass model of an american SD-45T-2.

Are you a fellow model railroader?
Nice! I'm am. Just got back into ot about a year ago. My HO layout is still under construction. I plan to run mostly modern passenger trains. I switched to using a Roco Z21 about a month ago to use RailCom. Are you familiar with the Z21?

@slisk250 does N scale. We have a thread here for Model RR

Thread 'Official PCF Model Train Thread' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/official-pcf-model-train-thread.89398/

I'm originally from Stockholm but I moved to Dalarna, Borlänge to be specific. Never liked big cities. And besides hunting, shooting, and loads of room to build a model railroad is hard to get by in Stockholm.

Nice to see others share the same combination of hobbies as me!

I use both a digikeijs DR5000 and a Z21. The DR5000 for my smaller living room layout. Which is just a 500x20 cm station to station layout. And the Z21 for my larger layout. I like both. The Z21 has a lot more features. However I'm using train controller for automation so the extra features of the Z21 aren't that useful for me. And both can be used with the Z21 app which is great.

I'm originally from Stockholm but I moved to Dalarna, Borlänge to be specific. Never liked big cities. And besides hunting, shooting, and loads of room to build a model railroad is hard to get by in Stockholm.
That’s funny, I’m originally from Stockholm as well. And we also moved to Dalarna, in 2014 to my wife’s little family place but moved back again in 2021.

Bikes aren't cheap especially when they're carbon or titanium:
20230725_173530.jpg

20210414_132422.jpg

20190420_212531.jpg

But the hidden costs are cycling gear. Been collecting Assos (high end Swiss cycling cloths) for 20+ years. It’s a sickness...

Making wood baseball bats and managing/playing on my baseball team are a couple of my hobbies.

Playing the piano, boardgaming, and tinkering with servers in my rack and cool software stuff are probably my biggest hobbies.

Speaking of, I should probably dig out an image of piano keys or something that I like to use for a profile picture.

Reactions: mho
If you ask me, my hobbies are cooking and woodworking.

If you ask my family, my hobbies are spilling stuff and breaking shit.

I service and create mechanical watches as a side hustle / hobby.

I’m self taught and learned because I inherited an interesting watch when my dad died, and it was going to be pricey to get it functioning well.

So, $3000+ in tools, quite a few mistakes, and 2 1/2 years later, I got the watch running like new again. As it is a dying trade I’ve also picked up a fair bit of business on the side of my 9-5.

My most recent was a 1946 Rolex repair for a coworker.

Attachments

• IMG_7767.jpeg
    IMG_7767.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 14
Similar to some others here, whiskey, board games, and cooking. I want to try woodworking but I don’t know where to start

I love this hobby! I must research this!

It’s something to be researched and learned slowly, and with the utmost caution. It’s a dangerous hobby.

I have been at it for 10 years and still feel I barely know anything.

That said—it’s fascinating and rewarding.

There are about seven types of mushrooms I now feel comfortable foraging and cooking.

All of these are types I have read extensively about, and watched a zillion videos about, and taken courses about.

But more importantly I have had people much more expert than me show me these mushrooms in the field, to observe not just the fruiting body but everything else going on around it.

The key thing about looking for fungi is to consider not just what the actual mushroom looks like, smells like, tastes like in a tiny spit test, how it reacts to scratching or other testing… It’s also about where you found it.

Is it growing in dirt, on a root, on a tree trunk? What time of year is it? What region are you in? What plants and trees are nearby? Is it wet or dry? What known lookalikes are there—and do these conditions favor the real thing or the lookalike? etc. etc.

I keep a calendar of the earliest and latest dates I’ve found key edibles, both to know when to start looking for them, and as an added safeguard. If, for example, I found something in August which looked like a morel, I would be deeply skeptical—because I’ve never found them earlier than the last days of April or later than the third week in May.

All of these clues and factors may add up to a solid identification.

After that, there is still cleaning and cutting and additional inspection to do. You can even test with ammonia and KOH, or conduct overnight spore tests.

If anything at all isn’t 100% consistent with my experience and study, no way I’m eating it.

I likewise would never, ever eat a wild mushroom based on an “identification” from photos alone. But lots of people ask me to do so. Can’t do it.

All I’m saying—have fun, but proceed with extreme care. There are lots of common wild mushrooms which will kill you within 12-72 hours and there isn’t much anyone can do to help… unless you have some spare human kidneys and livers on hand for immediate transplant.

Most areas have mushroom societies which host walks and talks. In the northeast, the Cornell Cooperative Extension offers many free or low-cost courses. I’ve also found that serious chefs are good guides, because they cannot risk poisoning their patrons.

Best resource of all: Old Russian and Polish ladies

Last edited:
It’s something to be researched and learned slowly, and with the utmost caution. It’s a dangerous hobby.

I have been at it for 10 years and still feel I barely know anything.

That said—it’s fascinating and rewarding.

There are about seven types of mushrooms I now feel comfortable foraging and cooking.

All of these are types I have read extensively about, and watched a zillion videos about, and taken courses about.

But more importantly I have had people much more expert than me show me these mushrooms in the field, to observe not just the fruiting body but everything else going on around it.

The key thing about looking for fungi is to consider not just what the actual mushroom looks like, smells like, tastes like in a tiny spit test, how it reacts to scratching or other testing… It’s also about where you found it.

Is it growing in dirt, on a root, on a tree trunk? What time of year is it? What region are you in? What plants and trees are nearby? Is it wet or dry? What known lookalikes are there—and do these conditions favor the real thing or the lookalike? etc. etc.

All of these clues and factors may add up to a solid identification. After that, there is still cleaning and cutting and additional inspection to do. You can even test with ammonia and KOH, or conduct overnight spore tests.

If anything at all isn’t 100% right, no way I’m eating it.

I likewise would never, ever eat a wild mushroom based on an “identification” from photos alone. But lots of people ask me to do so. Can’t do it.

All I’m saying—have fun, but proceed with extreme caution. There are lots of common wild mushrooms which will kill you within 12-72 hours and there isn’t much anyone can do to help unless you have some spare human kidneys and livers on hand for immediate transplant…
Good writeup. I enjoy this hobby as well! It's a great way to get out in summer and autumn. I've been at it for about 12-14 years now, but mostly in a pretty slow pace, learning a few new species every season. It's slow, but it adds up over time and it's very enjoyable. I remember the first times trying a few different edible mushrooms that have deadly lookalikes, and it does feel quite powerful to be able to tell them apart with no room for error. Definitely need to know what you are doing for that though. For the ones with deadly lookalikes that I've learned, I always picked and studied them several times over several seasons before finally feeling confident enough to actually use them for food.

Here's a photo of two types. One from the Agaricus family (edible and good!), next to a Amanita Virousa. (Deadly poisonous):

IMG_20190826_161551.jpg

They are similar in color and share some similar traits, but are far from the same. However the smaller specimens can be very similar. It's very important to know all the traits to be able to pick the right one, unless you have a good friend with a spare kidney or liver.

That said, there's also plenty of safe mushrooms to pick (at least in this part of the world), which do not have any similar dangerous double gangers. Like for example the Boletus Edulis, which is the favorite of many.
Edit to add: though this one do not have any similar dangerous lookalikes in Norway, that might not be the case in the US, so an important lesson is to always make sure to study up to date, local for you, material when researching mushrooms!
20221007_130654.jpg

When first starting out, try to learn 2-3 common and absolutely safe types, that has no similar dangerous lookalikes. And join a group or a friend who knows more than you to learn from. And take it slowly, learn a little, year by year.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom