Super-specialized forums other than chips... (1 Viewer)

yarbsr02

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I’ve really appreciated the knowledge and insights gained from interactions on this forum. I’ve had similar experience with bikes and bike mechanics, where you have a group of really detail-focused supportive people willing to share ideas.

What other “enthusiast” forums have you had experience with that are worth sharing?

Nice! It’s funny how some interests turn into hobbies that require a community of knowledge, and others are just fine as they are (I love coffee for example but haven’t gone to far down the rabbit hole). I’m near(ish) Charlottesville.

Nice! It’s funny how some interests turn into hobbies that require a community of knowledge, and others are just fine as they are (I love coffee for example but haven’t gone to far down the rabbit hole). I’m near(ish) Charlottesville.
I used to make my own espresso, and still have a couple commercial grade grinders out in the garage. The espresso machine sadly is in pieces.

That is my other place I check in

I love my kubota... I enjoy moving snow this winter with it, just got it this past spring. Had a Massey years ago in my past life. My little bota is a rock star - Backhoe, back blade, loader and a MM mower. CJinNH there

Ya, I spend even more time poring over Kubota parts diagrams than on this site... Replaced a bent brush guard, front cover and cracked emblem yesterday. I work this poor B2620 pretty hard.

Gonna upgrade to something somewhat bigger (LX3310 probably) this Spring after 7 great years. Looking also at the Artillian grapple/fork/spade system because I do a lot of tree/brush moving, clearing, tearing out hedgerows, etc.

Big fan of the parts site Messicks.com — if only every company had such great customer service.

Maybe need a tractor thread here!

Last edited:
Paleo planet at tupatalk.com

it’s another that uses shit tons of flat rate boxes as we are literally shipping boxes full of rocks all over. Taping those so they don’t break is another whole level of shipping.

Paleo planet at tupatalk.com

it’s another that uses shit tons of flat rate boxes as we are literally shipping boxes full of rocks all over. Taping those so they don’t break is another whole level of shipping.
Paleo as in paleolithic, or paleontology? I abso hate shipping fossils. Almost impossible to pack things well enough to prevent breakage.

I have been on so many, some probably long gone, others are a shadow of former glory....

scubaboard (scuba diving)
Lakediver (scuba in lakes)
scubatoys forum (scuba forum hosted by a dive shop)
decostop (technical scuba)
treasurenet (metal detecting)
findmall (metal detecting)
JurassicParkMotorPool (Jeep fan building page)

Tons of others about treasure/scuba/Jeep/prospecting etc,I cant remember that I just havent been to in so long.

Paleo as in paleolithic, or paleontology? I abso hate shipping fossils. Almost impossible to pack things well enough to prevent breakage.
Paleolithic

06549392-D6C5-4566-B3EF-5DF06D93593C.jpeg
1B8517C4-2C12-43B5-B3AD-A5A68706E202.jpeg
F824B5B0-C850-46A1-8476-7EB53DF12BDE.jpeg

I have been on so many, some probably long gone, others are a shadow of former glory....

scubaboard (scuba diving)
Lakediver (scuba in lakes)
scubatoys forum (scuba forum hosted by a dive shop)
decostop (technical scuba)
treasurenet (metal detecting)
findmall (metal detecting)
JurassicParkMotorPool (Jeep fan building page)

Tons of others about treasure/scuba/Jeep/prospecting etc,I cant remember that I just havent been to in so long.
There is a local lake here that the old gold mines drain into........

we are in the red river Elizabethtown area, bring your metal detector!

55E3AAD7-8638-42E1-A6AA-63E55828654E.png

gorgeous. Ive had ZERO luck in searching for points and I've seen massive museum quality displays from my area too.
I made those. Easier to find that way.

Thanks for the insight. Very interesting! I wouldn’t have guessed love for tractors but can definitely appreciate it!

Bob Is The Oil Guy or BITOG.
Endless information about internal combustion engines' lubrication.
People there would send their used lubricants for analysis (to see what 's happening inside their engines) much more frequently than their own blood and urine (to see what's happening inside their bodies).
Clearly, a forum for iron-loving people.
:)

The most active online community I ever participated in was actually a mid-1990s BBS. You had to dial or telnet in as I recall. I don’t think membership was open to the public, someone had to invite you.

The forums were all ASCII, no graphics. Navigating around took a while to really grasp—big learning curve for newbies—with all kinds of commands to master. The membership also had a lot of hyperdeveloped customs and ground rules that you could get tripped up by.

Despite all that, it was crazy how much activity there was. There were many subforums, each with a (sometimes tyrannical) mod, covering all kinds of topics from food to religion to politics to local NYC stuff.

Because there was no social media per se yet, this was the main or only such outlet for many users, and people were on it *all the time.* It had a very opinionated and argumentative atmosphere and that seemed to just drive more traffic.

When I left the City I gave up my membership. I guess it fell apart in the early 2000s, but still exists in some greatly diminished, web-based form. It’s crazy to think how much of the tech skills I mastered to use it I’ve totally lost.

The most active online community I ever participated in was actually a mid-1990s BBS. You had to dial or telnet in as I recall. I don’t think membership was open to the public, someone had to invite you.

The forums were all ASCII, no graphics. Navigating around took a while to really grasp—big learning curve for newbies—with all kinds of commands to master. The membership also had a lot of hyperdeveloped customs and ground rules that you could get tripped up by.

Despite all that, it was crazy how much activity there was. There were many subforums, each with a (sometimes tyrannical) mod, covering all kinds of topics from food to religion to politics to local NYC stuff.

Because there was no social media per se yet, this was the main or only such outlet for many users, and people were on it *all the time.* It had a very opinionated and argumentative atmosphere and that seemed to just drive more traffic.

When I left the City I gave up my membership. I guess it fell apart in the early 2000s, but still exists in some greatly diminished, web-based form. It’s crazy to think how much of the tech skills I mastered to use it I’ve totally lost.
I remember those days! You had to be a bit of a computer nerd just be on them to start. Everyone was jealous of the guy who could run a dedicated phone line for his BBS and be the SYSOP. Playing "trade wars", the playboy pic scans that took an hour to download, LOL. Those were the days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom