Sun Fly - Atlantic City Boardwalk custom chips - who was in charge of the group buy? (1 Viewer)

I wasn’t so disappointed in the feel, but the appearance as @JoeBGo stated, the lack of vibrancy, turned me off.

I myself like SF chips (PolyInno and PolyClay) a lot in terms of stacking, feeling and sound but have to admit that in terms of vibrancy of the colors, there is definitely room for improvement.

Well she better hope she doesn’t get a C & D letter from Borgata then….

Well, I don't think these guys care about intellectual property, etc, etc, ...
They don't care replicating WSOP chips with Rio logo, ...

I personally can't stand sunfly chips. I don't like the feel, sound, or the looks of them. I've owned both the 39 and the 43 mm chips. They are all garbage imo.
More or less agree. I had a set of 43mm and they were kinda cool but I sold them because I always went to either clay or high quality plastic when game time came around. They feel alright but the dull colors were a big turn off.

I have a set of sunfly 39mm hybrid and a few sample sets of sunfly 43mm hybrid. I would take a BRPro ceramic over anything made by sunfly. The Sunflys feel extra plasticy while the BRPros, while not quite like a chipco, they do have that solid feel to them. Just my 2 cents (don't know if that is worth much anymore)

I have a set of sunfly 39mm hybrid and a few sample sets of sunfly 43mm hybrid. I would take a BRPro ceramic over anything made by sunfly. The Sunflys feel extra plasticy while the BRPros, while not quite like a chipco, they do have that solid feel to them. Just my 2 cents (don't know if that is worth much anymore)

I agree 100%. Hence my small ABC collection lol

Ok. Another question then - how do the Sun fly chips compare to the bud Jones or matsui chips? Better/worse? Different - how? The Sun fly’s look pretty nice.
Not a fan of the 39m. I have a large tourney set of the 43mm hybrids and the are very good IMO. I would buy them again.

Ok. Another question then - how do the Sun fly chips compare to the bud Jones or matsui chips? Better/worse? Different - how? The Sun fly’s look pretty nice.
Personally, I'm a big fan of Sun-Fly's 43mm hybrid chips with small recess/label. I have three sets already, and will likely get another with the upcoming MTC group buy, as I also really like the chip/label artwork and available options.

Can't go wrong with any BrPro ceramic offering, but you can't beat the near-clay experience of 43mm Sun-Fly hybrids for the price. Exceptional value imo.
FWIW I agree.

When you guys are referring to the 43 mm hybrids, you are referring to the smooth ceramic with a label [Polyinno]), as opposed to the full-face printed artwork on ceramic (textured [Polychrom]), correct?

When you guys are referring to the 43 mm hybrids, you are referring to the smooth ceramic with a label [Polyinno]), as opposed to the full-face printed artwork on ceramic (textured [Polychrom]), correct?
Make sure you're looking at the HB005 with the 25.4mm label recess, not the HB003.

1656786978790.png

Comparison between the 39mm HB001 and the 43mm HB005
1656787093596.jpeg

43mm HB005 splashed
1656787074918.png

What are the chances that Tina & Co. can do glossy label with a glitter ring.... ? :unsure:
I have samples of their glitter ring decals. Matte finish and not laminated (same as Sun-Fly). Not glossy; that's a function of the lamination.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I will say that the 'glitter' labels appear much better irl than they do in photos. It's almost impossible to accurately capture that look. Only downside is the no lamination issue, meaning they will wear, scratch, stain, etc.

But they do fit much better in their stock 39mm hybrid blank depressions than do their laminated labels. One concern of any future custom hybrid blank would be to ensure that a laminated label fits properly without creating high spots and thus spinners.

I now have a sample set of both matsui and sun-fly 43 mm. Comparison underway. Initial thoughts:

Matsui definitely has brighter colors. +1 matsui
Matsui appear heavier. +1 matsui.
Sun-fly appear less slippery (which is weird cause the matsui have the roughest feel). +1 sun-fly
Inlays look very similar in appearance and quality.
Sun-fly has a finished edge (which i think I like). +1 sun-fly.
Matsui appears to have a smaller inlay so more chip. Not sure how I feel about that.
Cost - sun-fly less expensive?
5F1AC27F-18DC-4263-9D15-FC2DDEBCB32E.jpeg
27BB9DE1-2EFE-4873-A842-127F232AE5A2.jpeg

Why? Was a bridge burned in the process?
I wasn't around for this, but from what I could gather, some wise ass decided to put a $500 BW chip on the table. The fake was found out and upon investigation, found out about the group buy and cease and desist letters were sent out threatening legal action against Sunfly and all owners of the chips.

I now have a sample set of both matsui and sun-fly 43 mm. Comparison underway. Initial thoughts:

Matsui definitely has brighter colors. +1 matsui
Matsui appear heavier. +1 matsui.
Sun-fly appear less slippery (which is weird cause the matsui have the roughest feel). +1 sun-fly
Inlays look very similar in appearance and quality.
Sun-fly has a finished edge (which i think I like). +1 sun-fly.
Matsui appears to have a smaller inlay so more chip. Not sure how I feel about that.
Cost - sun-fly less expensive?
View attachment 1053909View attachment 1053910
This just from first view via monitor, the Matsui look much, much better to me. I have in the past been really down on how the high end plastics feel/handle but kind of dig how they look. I recently found an old set from years ago and I wasn't as put off as I remembered. Granted this is only 5-6 chips and not stacks, but still. The color are very deep/pure, which I guess one things plastics should be able to get. I can't tell about the heft, I think one really needs a barrel to get a proper sense of that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom