Suggestions for Canadian buyer (2 Viewers)

danjai

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am looking to move up from dice chips. I was wondering if you guys know of any Canadian retailers besides MRC and StraightPokerSupplies.

And has anyone had experience with the Crazy Horse chips from StraightPokerSupplies?

Hi guys! I am looking to move up from dice chips. I was wondering if you guys know of any Canadian retailers besides MRC and StraightPokerSupplies.

And has anyone had experience with the Crazy Horse chips from StraightPokerSupplies?
The Crazy Horse chips aren't "true clay", "real clay" or "compression molded clay", despite what their website says. Yes, they are a step up from Dice chips, but not a huge one.

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the different types of chips available: slugged plastic, China Clay (I think that the the Crazy Horse chips are mid-range CC, pretty much the same as Milanos. Majestic and Royals are slightly more higher end CC), Ceramic, high end plastic (Bud Jones, which I believe is what @allforcharity has available) and actual Compression Clay (Paulson, CPC).

Cost obviously comes into it, but once you see, feel and hear the various types (yes, sound is a factor), it may cause you to rethink your budget (as almost everyone on this site can attest to).

Which leads me to my next point - GET SAMPLES! Don't buy anything until you know what the different types are all about, and you have formed an opinion about your likes, dislikes, and how much money you are willing to invest/throw away on chips that you might potentially keep for a lifetime/discard after a few months because they aren't what you are satisfied with.

And welcome to the forum.

BTW, there are loaner sample sets floating around that you can borrow, or you can sometimes find sample sets on the forum classifieds.

Edit - changed description of Crazy Horse & Milano to recognize that they are for all intents and purposes the same chip - thanks @CdnBeerLover for the clarification!

Last edited:

Hey there, welcome to the forum! What is your price range exactly? And are you only interested in chips from retailers or would you consider buying some chips on here? Lots of variety here and most is super high quality compared to any retail chips you can get (especially since if you get it here, its pretty much exclusive)

There are zero Canadian retailers that sell poker chips that PCFers would consider decent.

But that doesn't mean Canadians can't get good value. You just have to buy from the US or overseas (China) or fellow PCFers (classified).

Group buys are also a good avenue. Check out that forum.

Hey there, welcome to the forum! What is your price range exactly? And are you only interested in chips from retailers or would you consider buying some chips on here? Lots of variety here and most is super high quality compared to any retail chips you can get (especially since if you get it here, its pretty much exclusive)
I'm probably looking around up to .50/chip area about 500 chips or so. It sucks that the border is closed or else I can ship to a mailbox and probably save on a ton of shipping.

.50/chip doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room. mass produced ceramics like the scrolls, china clays, or get custom ceram is directly from china from one of the companies on alibaba. I know of two that do good work.

I'm probably looking around up to .50/chip area about 500 chips or so. It sucks that the border is closed or else I can ship to a mailbox and probably save on a ton of shipping.
For that price, take a look at the 43mm Royal Card Room chips at Apache. Lots of pictures in various threads here. Shipping to Canada isn't a huge amount of difference (I think about $60 vs $20, or thereabouts), although you'll probably get tagged with PST/GST

Within your budget, your best bet will be ceramics from Alibaba (full custom design with aligned edge). Be about 30¢ plus shipping.

Check out the cards mold group buy to see what they look like. If you don't want to design your own there are some free designs that were offered.

Avoid cheap mass produced ceramics like scrolls - the quality is really inconsistent. Money basically flushed down the toilet - you won't be pleased.

In a few (2-3) weeks I could probably help you out at the 50c level. But it would require the purchase of 1000 chips and U.S. funds.
I’m in Kitchener so at least you’de save on the shipping fees.

Rather than looking at a budget first from a per-chip perspective, you are better served by viewing it as a total cost expenditure, and then determining the actual number of chips you need to accomplish your hosting goals. This will better point to which chips you can really afford, based on your expendable cash.

For example, let's assume your maximum chip budget is $250usd.

If needing 400 chips for a 10-player tournament set, your chip budget allows for chips costing up to 62c each.

But if needing a 10-player cash set with four denominations and 600 total chips, your chip budget is resticted to chips costing 42c each or less.

And if wanting a single 1000 chip set to cover both scenarios, you are limited to chips that cost 25c each or less.

Figure out a) how much you can spend total, b) how many chips you actually need, and then c) which chips are available within your budget.

Figure out a) how much you can spend total, b) how many chips you actually need, and then c) which chips are available within your budget.
You forgot:
d) find samples of really, really nice chips that are way beyond your original budget, and then triple your planned budget to accommodate :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
You forgot:
d) find samples of really, really nice chips that are way beyond your original budget, and then triple your planned budget to accommodate :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Oh I have been down this rabbit hole with all my other various toys. "oh a few extra bucks gets me a bit more, oh theres a slightly better one, and next thing you know I'm doubling my budget.

I used to live in the mainland, but I recently moved over to the island. I do visit from time to time I can give you a pm when I am over next?

Oh I have been down this rabbit hole with all my other various toys. "oh a few extra bucks gets me a bit more, oh theres a slightly better one, and next thing you know I'm doubling my budget.

I used to live in the mainland, but I recently moved over to the island. I do visit from time to time I can give you a pm when I am over next?

If you plan to be in the Burnaby area in the future I could arrange to show you a variety of chips. A bit more variety than in the sample set you signed up for.

If you plan to be in the Burnaby area in the future I could arrange to show you a variety of chips. A bit more variety than in the sample set you signed up for.
Yes please! That would be amazing! Thank you!!

Man.. joining this forum was a big leap into a deep rabbit hole

I bought a set of the Crazy Horses to bring to work overseas. They are a decent China clay (Milano), and a huge step up from dice chips. My players loved them, one even wanted me to buy him a set.

That being said, they're an intermediate chip, and you'll most likely upgrade at some point.

My other choices that I've seen from the local retailers would be NextGenPros or Scrolls, but this forum definitely opened up more possibilities :nailbite:

I do visit from time to time I can give you a pm when I am over next?
Sure thing. I'm in Chilliwack (about an hour east of Vancouver on a good day), and work out in the boonies a lot (as if Chilliwack wasn't already the boonies), but let me know ahead of time and we can try to meet up! I'll try to take some photos in the next few days and PM them to you.

@danjai

If you are in the Fraser Valley, I can also show you a few chippies. I've got a few Paulsons sitting around. Some CPC and even some TRK. Id be delighted.

Welcome to the forum!

Uhoh, I am definitely in trouble now. I think its too late to walk away from this place :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Just a few?
I really lost my objectivity around here a while back. It's hard to quit this addiction. I'm getting treatment*.

That said, I would love to get new aspiring chippers the chance to feel up the good stuff!
Uhoh, I am definitely in trouble now. I think its too late to walk away from this place :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I've tried to walk and otherwise run away from here, but I can't. Most intense addiction ever, personally speaking. Just tread lightly. Have a clear goal. I didn't have clear goals and it's impossible to set any now. Lmao!!!

*Treatment = got my PayPal and bank privileges revoked by an angry wife

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom