Streaming TV (1 Viewer)

Chippy McChiperson

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Finally cut the cord with cable, and I'm going to sign up with a streaming tv option. Done a (very) little research, and at first glance YouTube tv looks like it might be the best bet. Does anyone have any experience with YouTube tv (good or bad) that I should know about? Or any of the other streaming options for that matter?

I have had Youtube TV since it went live. I feel it is great as you do not have to pay extra for 300+ channels when you are truly watching only a handful. I also tried Sling which I loved as well. Those are the top two IMO

I've not had a cable or satellite TV provider for roughly 4 years now and I've not missed it. I use a combination of things. We have Netflix, and as AT&T wireless customers we get 20 or 25 dollars off their streaming option through directv so we do that because it only costs us 20 bucks and it gives us local channels and a small selection of cable channels. As for other stuff we use Kodi with the Seren addon. We pay for Premiumize which is like 7 or 8 bucks a month I think which gives us access to premium streams through Seren. We can pretty much watch anything we want on there. To the point we are about to cancel our Directv Now subscription.

So for us total we pay just under 30 bucks a month for TV related things but this also includes access to premium movies so we never have to rent movies or anything. If you count our internet that we pay $55 bucks for then we're up to $85 total for internet and TV which is still half of what it would cost us otherwise and we don't miss anything.

I have an antennae connected to an amazon rebroadcast box that sends free HD tv to my cell phone and any TV with a fire stick. The fire stick is connected to various online accounts such as prime TV, Netflix, HBO now, etc. that setup has worked pretty well for me and I like the wife means no wires.

I've been debating the cord cut as well. Still trying to determine YouTube vs Hulu? Can anyone comment on pros/cons of the two services?

We have not had cable in about 8 years. We have a digital antenna for local channels. It picks up about 50 channels, all the major channels are in HD. We also have Hulu and Netflix. We also have Amazon Prime, more for the shipping, but the streaming service is getting better. Some decent original programs like Jack Ryan and The Boys and some some movies.

The Disney+ app seems like a great deal I’d you want ESPN and HULU as well, I think all 3 will cost about $13/month.

With regular YouTube and the above there isn’t much out there I can’t watch.

We use netflix + hulu and it's a solid combo. Don't feel like we need much else, although I would like to watch postseason baseball in my own home. We did the Sling free trial and totally recommend against it. The service was a bit spotty during the trial, but once we'd paid for a first actual month the service was awful.

We just said adios to cable about 3 months ago.

We've got Hulu Live and like it a lot. It's something like $45/month but still cheaper than what we were paying for cable.

Fiber optic just came into our neighborhood and they're offering some pretty sick promotions - though none of them are good enough to make us switch. We have 2 mobile lines through our internet provider (1 GB data/line) for $14/line after the discount for bundling.

We also have Netflix but my parents buy us a gift card every year for our anniversary that covers the year. I keep telling them they should stop and just give us their username/password but they don't want to get in trouble and keep sending the gift card. <adorable facepalm>

I always forget about the streaming options "included" with Amazon Prime.

Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime here. No complaints, however we aren't big TV watchers. We tried Sling, hated it. Always buffered when trying to watch live. Lightning fast internet, all devices wired. Hulu doesn't skip a beat.

Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime here. No complaints, however we aren't big TV watchers. We tried Sling, hated it. Always buffered when trying to watch live. Lightning fast internet, all devices wired. Hulu doesn't skip a beat.
Glad it wasn't just me. I really do think they rate limit paying customers.

I use Amazon Prime (already purchased for shipping) + YouTubeTV.

YouTube TV gives me all my locals (where I live is right up next to a mountain that's right between all the broadcast towers & my house, so local OTA HDTV sucks for me I can only get 2 channels sometimes with antennea and all the sports channels I need including MLB Network. Plus a mix of most of the other channels for occasional surfing. The DVR option is great as well.

We started YouTube TV over the summer. Don’t miss DirectTV and in some ways think it’s much better. But reality is that we primarily watch the local broadcast channels so could probably get by with an antenna. We use a Roku and downfall is that it’s not good with the sound bar, have to check if the DVD player is a smart one so that I can use that. Unfortunately the roku remote is simple which I like, we have a hacked fire stick but that it too much work for me I just want to push a button and have TV, which is why we put up with Direct for so long.

Cut the cord a month or so ago. Still getting used to it, but it’s okay. Already had smart TVs and Apple TV’s. Already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. You get a free subscription to Hulu with Amazon Prime. Saving around $200 a month (an extra buyin at K9drs meetup) with Comcast over my prior bundle and pay per view habit. I went with as little expense as possible to see how I would get by and upgrade shit later if I missed anything. So far so good.

I also cut the cord many years ago. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and I have a Tivo OTA box with lifetime subscription. I may drop Netflix and add Disney+ as Netflix really isn't adding much for me.

A lot depends on your watching habits. I don't watch any sports other than Formula 1 so I have a subscription to that (and I steal my sister's Sling sub for the occasional Astros game). If you watch lots of sports then Sling may work well - I don't use the Sling app, I use the ESPN or Fox Sports app and sign in with Sling.

Sort of cut the cord years ago.
Still get broadcast channels. ( not basic cable)

Current Monthly cost $46

Broadcast channels. $15? (
Netflix $11
HBOGO. $10
Amazon Prime $10

( all costs approximate. Haven’t looked at cable bill in a while)

This really only works if you only watch movies and tv shows.
Not sure about sports options

Dropped my "cable" packaging about 5 years ago when my first son was born.

Current Packaging:
Netflix - $16
Hulu- $5.99
HBO - Given to me by Xfinity for 2 years for free for some problems we had.
Xfinity Streaming - Local Channels + about 25 others. Comes with my Internet @$45/month for 150 Mbps. Service.

With 2 kids under 5 I just added the Disney+ subscription to my monthly bill. I managed to snag a promotion rate for $3.92/month for 3 years. Super stoked about the listing of programming and cost. That brings my total to $71/month for Internet + All Streaming, which seems reasonable given that a lot of internet packages alone are that much. If I want to watch sports games that are not on local programming I find free streams online and then cast them from my phone to the TV. Works great and saves a ton of $.

With Disney being added there's a chance I drop my Netflix one because at $16/month it is extremely high compared to the other services and I don't have that much time to watch stuff. That would also bring me to $55/month for all programming and internet.

No cable for 2 years and no problems. Watching the usual streams and a lot of rampage poker on YouTube. My wife misses HGTV but I don't. Don't think I'm going back any time soon.

I haven’t watched a TV commercial in over 12 years.
It’s the little things in life that count

Roku and hulu are both pretty good, not really sure if they're considered streaming, Netflix is alright but can be acquired through roku or hulu

Just completely cut the cord this morning. It only took my 31 minutes on the phone with Xfinity lol. We were down to just the local channels. We don't even watch that anymore. A year ago our bill was almost 200 bucks. Today is 70. I can live with that.

We cut the cord in the beginning of summer. My biggest complaint is sometimes you just want to veg on the couch and have something mindless on while you play on your phone or chat with the wife. That used to be food network or hgtv or whatever. Now you have to find something on the steaming service which can feel like work sometimes. Saving the $200 a month was worth it though.

We cut the cord in the beginning of summer. My biggest complaint is sometimes you just want to veg on the couch and have something mindless on while you play on your phone or chat with the wife. That used to be food network or hgtv or whatever. Now you have to find something on the steaming service which can feel like work sometimes. Saving the $200 a month was worth it though.
But what are you paying for all the streaming?

Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. Less than $40 I believe. But it is a true $200/mo savings as we were still doing Netflix and Hulu along with directv.

I am a current user of PSVue. Now that it's going away in a day or so, I'm leaning towards YouTubeTV.

Cons are no NHL Network or NFL Network. Also, losing the Redzone channel is a bummer.

You can buy an NHL.com package. We will probably turn it on in a month or so just to get the playoff push and of course the playoffs.

You can buy an NHL.com package. We will probably turn it on in a month or so just to get the playoff push and of course the playoffs.

I may see if someone here has a sling login I can trade for. Trying to control the costs, not add more!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom