Streaming TV (2 Viewers)

Be sure to check your rates for internet service. We have been with WOW! for over 10 years, we own all of own equipment so we don’t lease anything from them. We were paying $65/month for 50mb service. I called them up to see if they had a faster service since we have so many devices connecting now.

They said since we aren’t under contract we are paying more!

If I would sign a 2 year agreement we now have 500mb speed for $55/month!!!

I was so pissed I wanted to get rid of them right then.

Anyone have any updates on this. Definitely cutting the cord, just trying to decide on what. Not a huge sports guy. Thinking Philo and Frndly might cut it for us. Anyone else have either of these?

Does anyone have any experience with YouTube tv (good or bad) that I should know about? Or any of the other streaming options for that matter?

I just switched back to Uverse. I called to cancel and they knocked my bill down to $47 for the next 12 months... Hard to say no...

I really only watch sports on TV, but I like having a stock of some of my favorite shows to veg out to (Archer, Always Sunny, Fool Us). I also like locals for news. The family doesn't watch that much TV, tho.

I tried out YTTV for two months, and kept Uverse for the first month. When on a TV with a cable box, I found myself watching Uverse instead of YTTV mostly because of the UI.

What I liked about YTYV
  • Unlimited cloud DVR
  • Six "accounts" per subscription; my DVR has only my shows... Kids'/wife's shows aren't seen
  • Put cable TV anywhere without running cords
  • Ability to watch away from home.
  • I watched pretty much all the stations offered, unlike Uverse, which has a ton of crap.
  • The price

What I didn't like about YTYV:
  • The UI took some getting used to
  • There are no channel numbers, so you can't just jump from channel to channel...you have to scroll through the listings (you can group channels and favorite channels to make it easier, but it's not like watching cable)
  • Every time you switch channels, the is a brief buffering delay
  • They had NFL Network, NBA Network and MLB Network, but no NHL Network.
  • They lost my local Fox Sports channel, and while it'll probably be back when the Pistons/Tigers/Red Wings resume, I *know* U-verse will have it
  • YTTV still has commercials... You can skip them on recorded shows on your DVR, but not for any On Demand shows.
In 12 months, if Uverse takes the bull back up, I'm gonna try Hulu.

Current lineup: Hulu Live Bundle (Hulu Live, Disney+ and ESPN+), Amazon Prime, Netflix, Frndly (Hallmark channels for wife...I swear), Peacock (Premier League soccer games)

We have two kids (9 and 11) and they use Disney+ and Netflix the most. I'm mostly on the Hulu TV and Netflix. My wife is Hulu TV and Frndly TV app for Hallmark Movies. I had to find a replacement when we ditched DirecTV for streaming as not a lot of services have Hallmark channels.

Next billing cycle, I am changing back to YouTubeTV as it has been the best streaming TV I've used out of (DirecTV's offering, Plastation Vue - no longer exists and Hulu TV). I am just not a fan of Hulu's interface and recording features at all. YouTube TV gives you unlimited recording and I feel like the user interface is much better.

We have been doing Amazon prime, Netflix, and Hulu for a few years now. Always have something to watch. I don't do Hulu much (hate commercials and the interface) but my wife does. We don't watch any sports though. Also can get some decent free movies through VUDU occasionally, one of the few things that came preloaded on the smart TV I didn't delete. Used to get HBO for free with AT&T but we moved and switched to Verizon for better service coverage at the new house. I'd pay for HBO before Hulu, but I like movies > tv shows and my wife is the opposite.

Haven't had cable for over 15 yrs. Fortunate to live in an area where we pick up all the locals via powered antenna, all in hd. We have the Disney/Hulu/ESPN package for $15/mo, Netflix and Amazon Prime. We picked up HBO during Game of Thrones, and I'll pick up PokerGo on occasion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom