Starting Stack Tubes (9 Viewers)

I’m experimenting…. More to follow, waiting on a delivery today to give second option a go.

:ninja:

714B7EF1-14BE-4556-9CBB-10D45DD2F9ED.jpeg

I know a lot of people use these as starting stacks for tourneys. I actually found the best use was for a cash game after the tourney. I can count out stacks for the tourney ahead of time...place them at each seat and have players pay and draw a seat card. The real benefit is when the cash game starts ( for those who bust) while the tourney is going on. I can quickly pass out pre-counted cash buy ins and am able to get back to the tourney (if I am still playing) with very little delay or missed hands.

Thanks to this thread I've got my micro set sorted. Got the tubes and caps from uline, and cut both the tubes and caps to a suitable size. Cut the tubes to be 27 chips tall, and cut the caps so they were easier to remove.

The number of chips in this case is the same as when I started, and when I started I couldn't fit another chip. Now there's room for more higher denoms. Each tube contains a $10 buyin for my .05/.10 game, and I wanted 20 full buyins. Ok, the tubes on the right have a $10 buyin. The tubes on the left are waiting for more nickels and quarters to arrive and be labelled, but you get the idea.

Stacks are: 10x $.05, 10x $.25, and 7x $1, so 27 chips per tube.

20230412_151419.jpg

Attachments

• 20230412_151430.jpg
    20230412_151430.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230412_151452.jpg
    20230412_151452.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230412_151508.jpg
    20230412_151508.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230412_151530.jpg
    20230412_151530.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I was thinking I could run a local (or maybe Canadian) GB for these U-line tubes with end caps. The 6" tubes should hold a max of 45 chips or so and the end caps come in 5 colours, so you could sort out starting tourney stacks for up to five tables in advance. I think the raw cost would be slightly under CAD$2 per tube and 2 caps, then pickup or shipping costs after that. Minimum order would be 125 tubes.

I was thinking I could run a local (or maybe Canadian) GB for these U-line tubes with end caps. The 6" tubes should hold a max of 45 chips or so and the end caps come in 5 colours, so you could sort out starting tourney stacks for up to five tables in advance. I think the raw cost would be slightly under CAD$2 per tube and 2 caps, then pickup or shipping costs after that. Minimum order would be 125 tubes.
I'd be in for 10 tubes with caps at that price.

To me, for a $20 order to ULine, you are now the glorious recipient of their 10,000 page 3” thick catalog. I bet they’ve blown $60 on me just sending me those catalogues. If I could do it all over again, I’d forgo the tubes just to not receive their catalogue :wtf:

lol, there's a distribution center 5 mins from me. I can skip the shipping charges by picking up in person, and leave the catalogue on the counter.

I know a lot of people use these as starting stacks for tourneys. I actually found the best use was for a cash game after the tourney. I can count out stacks for the tourney ahead of time...place them at each seat and have players pay and draw a seat card. The real benefit is when the cash game starts ( for those who bust) while the tourney is going on. I can quickly pass out pre-counted cash buy ins and am able to get back to the tourney (if I am still playing) with very little delay or missed hands.
I was thinking I could run a local (or maybe Canadian) GB for these U-line tubes with end caps. The 6" tubes should hold a max of 45 chips or so and the end caps come in 5 colours, so you could sort out starting tourney stacks for up to five tables in advance. I think the raw cost would be slightly under CAD$2 per tube and 2 caps, then pickup or shipping costs after that. Minimum order would be 125
Hopefully you can get a quota of 125.

I was close to pulling the trigger on some starting stack tubes to make the start of tournament a bit more organized but I decided against it because I thought "What is everyone going to do with the tubes after they get their chips out?". I figured all the convenience of the tubes (and small price) would be outweighed by the annoyance of having tubes all over the room (MTT).

Any thoughts on this situation?

I was close to pulling the trigger on some starting stack tubes to make the start of tournament a bit more organized but I decided against it because I thought "What is everyone going to do with the tubes after they get their chips out?". I figured all the convenience of the tubes (and small price) would be outweighed by the annoyance of having tubes all over the room (MTT).

Any thoughts on this situation?
Get a couple small baskets from the dollar store, put one at each table, have the players collect the tubes there. Easy peasy :).

Get a couple small baskets from the dollar store, put one at each table, have the players collect the tubes there. Easy peasy :).
Good idea. Maybe I'll reconsider buying these.

What's the best place to order ~20-30 nowadays? Most amazon links seem out of stock, contain way too many (75+), or are a weird color/look too much like a pill bottle (I know that's what they are lol). Best I've found is this Canadian site: https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-18215/Clear-Tubes/Clear-Retail-Tubes-1-1-2-x-6 but these are ~$2 per tube and top.

I put the box near where everyone bought in. Once people take the chips out, they know to put the tubes in the box. Every once in a while, I'll find one in the corner from a player who couldn't get up in time, or rebought and was immediately in a hand. Personally, I'd rather pick up a stray tube than some of the other crap people leave around the room.

What's the best place to order ~20-30 nowadays? Most amazon links seem out of stock, contain way too many (75+), or are a weird color/look too much like a pill bottle (I know that's what they are lol). Best I've found is this Canadian site: https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-18215/Clear-Tubes/Clear-Retail-Tubes-1-1-2-x-6 but these are ~$2 per tube and top.

ULine used to have their HQ near me in Eagan, MN :)!

I looked at these, but actually went with these from amazon. Though I guess these tubes apparently have other medicinal uses than poker chips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAM53H2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Sorry if this is a threadjack)

(Further edit, found the actual order I made which was for 15 at $8 shipped)
Ha, I posted this 5 years ago and I still use these "pop-tubes" and my players get a kick out of it.

Though the original link is dead looks like you have to get at least 60 now from amazon sources.

https://www.amazon.com/Loud-Lock-Co...ns&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGZfbmV4dA&th=1

Ha, I posted this 5 years ago and I still use these "pop-tubes" and my players get a kick out of it.

Though the original link is dead looks like you have to get at least 60 now from amazon sources.

https://www.amazon.com/Loud-Lock-Container-Bottles-Count/dp/B07HFG1J5P/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=J54T54N6W8J4&keywords="60+dram"+bottles+clear&qid=1701187510&sprefix=60+dram+bottles+clear,aps,107&sr=8-17-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGZfbmV4dA&th=1
that's what I use as well. they fit a 12/12/5/6/1 (36 chips) perfectly. They also fit 44mm chips just fine too. (I've used them for BTP's with no issue)

https://www.amazon.com/Loud-Lock-Container-Bottles-Count/dp/B07HFG1J5P/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=J54T54N6W8J4&keywords="60+dram"+bottles+clear&qid=1701187510&sprefix=60+dram+bottles+clear,aps,107&sr=8-17-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGZfbmV4dA&th=1

that's what I use as well. they fit a 12/12/5/6/1 (36 chips) perfectly. They also fit 44mm chips just fine too. (I've used them for BTP's with no issue)

75 is just so many. Did anyone order this and wants to sell me ~30 of them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom