Sports Trash Talk (2 Viewers)

Anyone okay with that call to decide the game is not a fan of sports.

10, 13, 15 years of grinding. Early mornings, long drives, financial commitments, injuries, grueling workouts. For several young women that was the last game of their “career”. Thousands of minutes, days, hours spent to reach the crescendo of….a whistle.

Can’t make that call there.
If you are suggesting that a foul in the first quarter is somehow not a foul in the fourth, then you're crazy. Maybe don't set a moving screen in the last 10 seconds if you want your player to be able to take the winning shot? And maybe rebound the missed free throw with 4 seconds and a time out left.

Sorry, but this one is all on UConn, Want to win? Play better.

Your kids played sports, you know better. That play is made thousands of times without being called.

Yes, in football you don’t call holding on every single play. In basketball, you don’t call carry on every single ball handler. Etc, etc.

And yes, you know the answer. You swallow the whistle there. In every sport everywhere, you let the players determine the finish.

Guess what? Before someone decides to run off a stagger screen, defender holds a jersey. Every single out of bounds play end of the game there’s a significant push off because no defender would flop in that moment to try and draw a call for fear of giving up an easy shot. On and on and on and on.

There’s protocol for this that everyone understands. Idc who wins, and reverse the teams and I stand pat. It was the wrong decision.

Total guess here. If you could privately poll every nba and wnba player, coach, and rep, I’m guessing an overwhelming % would prefer no call there, regardless of which side they’re on.

Edit to say for people that want the whistle blown there…whelp I’d advise those people to not watch NFL, NBA, NHL, or really most any sport at the highest level. Because rules, regulations, and refs are there to control the game and it’s well known that discernment is applied throughout the games. You’ll have a conniption fit trying to understand why and when they call things.
Did you watch the entire game? This particular call was consistent with the way the rest of the game was called. There were a lot of ticky tack calls throughout the game, especially under the basket. With more going against Iowa than against UConn. So yeah, if the refs are going to call it tight for 3 quarters, then they had damn well call it tight in that late situation when the game is on the line.

Anyone okay with that call to decide the game is not a fan of sports.

10, 13, 15 years of grinding. Early mornings, long drives, financial commitments, injuries, grueling workouts. For several young women that was the last game of their “career”. Thousands of minutes, days, hours spent to reach the crescendo of….a whistle.

Can’t make that call there.
Completely disagree. The call didn’t decide the game, the foul did. If you don’t want the ref to blow the whistle there, don’t commit a foul and expect the ref to bail you out. The time left in the game is irrelevant.

Continues to bother me that some people here think that "Ref should swallow his whistle" equates to "letting the players decide the game." The only way to let the players decide the game is to insure that both teams have a fair opportunity to make plays. So yeah, let the "ticky tack" questionable calls go, like minor, or even moderate contact that might happen away from the play. But the refs absolutely must whistle clear fouls that impact any player's ability to make an offensive or defensive play on the ball.

One comment stated that those who think calling this foul is okay are not sports fans. Bull! If you can look at this series of photos, and think that this foul should not have been called, then YOU are the one who is not a sports fan. Sports are about fair play, not allowing one team to foul the other in the name of letting the players decide the game.

Photo 2 says it all. In no way, shape or form is that a legal screen. End of story. Also, look at where her body is in relation to Geno in photo 1 vs photo 4. In photo 1, she is setting a legal screen. Which Marshall likely would have been able to make it around to continue guarding Bueckers. Only way to know if Paige could have gotten off the winning shot (or even made it if she had taken it) is to let both players make that play. Edwards foul prevented that from happening. It has to be called.

1712507314385.png

Perfectly said @TX_Golf_N_Poker

I fully expect Iowa to have their magical run end yet again in the championship game this afternoon. Rooting for them, of course, but this team has over-achieved all season long. We lost our two best post players from last season, had NO transfers come in, and still won another Big Ten Tournament title and won five straight NCAA Tournament games coming out of what people said was the toughest bracket in the tournament.

Our tallest player who gets minutes is 6’2”. Everyone else is 6’0” or smaller, including our best defender who is only 5’9”. Iowa routinely plays taller teams, more athletic teams, teams with rosters full of highly recruited players. And beats them. The fact that they are competitive at all is a testament to Caitlin Clark and the coaching staff. Iowa should be getting pounded in these games.

These past two years have given me and my family the most fun viewing experience ever. This team is must-watch TV. I have enjoyed following “my” teams in the past, but my family has never been an active participant with me. It’s been a blast. And win or lose today, we will be sad when it’s over.

Perfectly said @TX_Golf_N_Poker

I fully expect Iowa to have their magical run end yet again in the championship game this afternoon. Rooting for them, of course, but this team has over-achieved all season long. We lost our two best post players from last season, had NO transfers come in, and still won another Big Ten Tournament title and won five straight NCAA Tournament games coming out of what people said was the toughest bracket in the tournament.

Our tallest player who gets minutes is 6’2”. Everyone else is 6’0” or smaller, including our best defender who is only 5’9”. Iowa routinely plays taller teams, more athletic teams, teams with rosters full of highly recruited players. And beats them. The fact that they are competitive at all is a testament to Caitlin Clark and the coaching staff. Iowa should be getting pounded in these games.

These past two years have given me and my family the most fun viewing experience ever. This team is must-watch TV. I have enjoyed following “my” teams in the past, but my family has never been an active participant with me. It’s been a blast. And win or lose today, we will be sad when it’s over.
I think you really hit it with the coaching staff part. Obviously, Iowa couldn’t be making this run without Clark, but Iowa’s coaching has been remarkable. They don’t get the notoriety because they aren’t loud mouthed, attention whor…grabbers that wear clown suits. It’s really sad. They completely outcoached Mulket and crew, yet the cameras were on Mulkey every five seconds.

I will be pulling for Iowa big time, as I hope class prevails over an even bigger disgrace than Mulkey, but it’s going to be one heckuva tall task. Go Hawks.

I think there’s two sides. That’s half the fun about sports. Surmising, second guessing, debating.

I wonder how many times I can show that exact frame by frame in the NBA uncalled in one night? 3? 5? 15? And that's just in normal play. I no doubt agree it was a foul by the rules. It's plain as day, but I wouldn't go as far as to say egregious. The situation has an impact, i.e. they're on an island and it looks awkward due to the double screen "crack back" issue.

But I'll take it a step further and not only should that not have been called, it's horrid for the women's game as well. Earlier I mentioned the amount of holds, carries, travels, etc. Those aren't called because the rules are there as a construct in the men's game. It's so fast, strong, and explosive, that it requires a certain type of enforcement, i.e. refs are there to control the game. I mean hell you're taught this at the lowest levels with reffing, what to call and what to "let go", what to chat to players about and how to explain. If the women's game is going to use this moment to grow, they may not want to lean on and empower fans who "go by the book". Historically, the somehow negative connotation of the women's game being "fundamental" is one the largest running storylines, i.e. "who needs dunks when she can shoot a jumpstop bank shot". But I guess all the Iowa fans here really want the refs to come down and implement/enforce the handchecking, the pushoffs, the holds, and everything else. Sure the players won't find space, sure it will slow down the game, sure it will keep players from being agressive - but to hell with nuance, it's in the rulebook and lOoK aT tHiS fRaMe By FrAmE.

That call in that spot doesn't happen if it's the NBA or mens college, and iffy at high school level (unless your ref is like Joey Crawford).

Doing a cursory look online, of course there's folks on both sides, but it would appear that nonUconn/nonIowa professional athletes overwhemingly prefer no call there.
If you are suggesting that a foul in the first quarter is somehow not a foul in the fourth, then you're crazy.
The time left in the game is irrelevant.
I mean someone posting this and people agreeing with it let me know everything I need to. Walk down the street fellas to your local LA fitness or whatever gym. Sit and watch or even play, see what happens when the game tightens up or gets to point/point. Magically, enforcement and calls change. As they do in basketball at every single level, in every single state, for at least the past 30-40 years.

But again, that's the fun! We can all watch the same thing and disagree!

I think there’s two sides. That’s half the fun about sports. Surmising, second guessing, debating.

I wonder how many times I can show that exact frame by frame in the NBA uncalled in one night? 3? 5? 15? And that's just in normal play. I no doubt agree it was a foul by the rules. It's plain as day, but I wouldn't go as far as to say egregious. The situation has an impact, i.e. they're on an island and it looks awkward due to the double screen "crack back" issue.

But I'll take it a step further and not only should that not have been called, it's horrid for the women's game as well. Earlier I mentioned the amount of holds, carries, travels, etc. Those aren't called because the rules are there as a construct in the men's game. It's so fast, strong, and explosive, that it requires a certain type of enforcement, i.e. refs are there to control the game. I mean hell you're taught this at the lowest levels with reffing, what to call and what to "let go", what to chat to players about and how to explain. If the women's game is going to use this moment to grow, they may not want to lean on and empower fans who "go by the book". Historically, the somehow negative connotation of the women's game being "fundamental" is one the largest running storylines, i.e. "who needs dunks when she can shoot a jumpstop bank shot". But I guess all the Iowa fans here really want the refs to come down and implement/enforce the handchecking, the pushoffs, the holds, and everything else. Sure the players won't find space, sure it will slow down the game, sure it will keep players from being agressive - but to hell with nuance, it's in the rulebook and lOoK aT tHiS fRaMe By FrAmE.

That call in that spot doesn't happen if it's the NBA or mens college, and iffy at high school level (unless your ref is like Joey Crawford).

Doing a cursory look online, of course there's folks on both sides, but it would appear that nonUconn/nonIowa professional athletes overwhemingly prefer no call there.

I mean someone posting this and people agreeing with it let me know everything I need to. Walk down the street fellas to your local LA fitness or whatever gym. Sit and watch or even play, see what happens when the game tightens up or gets to point/point. Magically, enforcement and calls change. As they do in basketball at every single level, in every single state, for at least the past 30-40 years.

All I can say is this is another reason why baseball is the best sport in the world. The game is designed for there to be a call on ever play, and for the most part, those are the only calls umpires make. There are no whistles, so you don’t get fans complaining about whether or not the refs should be making that call at that point in the game.

All I can say is this is another reason why baseball is the best sport in the world. The game is designed for there to be a call on ever play, and for the most part, those are the only calls umpires make. There are no whistles, so you don’t get fans complaining about whether or not the refs should be making that call at that point in the game.
I hear your point, and I love baseball as much as anyone. But may I present evidence to the contrary?

Exhibit A(ngel Hernandez)
E10A07A8-BE72-4D4D-9C05-D4B664F5ECAC.gif

I wonder how many times I can show that exact frame by frame in the NBA uncalled in one night? 3? 5? 15? And that's just in normal play.
I almost stopped reading at this point. The NBA is a joke. I refuse to watch it for this very reason. Actual fouls, traveling, carries and double dribbles that aren't called. Favoritism given to the star players. Flopping by a player that some consider to be the greatest to ever play. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I love the game of basketball, and for that reason, I only watch college basketball.

I no doubt agree it was a foul by the rules. It's plain as day, but I wouldn't go as far as to say egregious. The situation has an impact, i.e. they're on an island and it looks awkward due to the double screen "crack back" issue.

So can I also assume that if Paige is allowed to take that shot with a few seconds left, and an Iowa player jumps into her and fouls her in the act of shooting, that should also be a no call? Because game on the line and "let the players decide it." Refs need to swallow the whistle. Because you can't have it both ways.

The last two times Iowa took the ball down the court, UConn was allowed to get away with some pretty physical defense and forced Iowa to turn the ball over. I'll bet if we analyze those plays frame by frame, we could probably identify fouls that were not called. So maybe what I'm hearing you say is that "let the players play" only applies to the team that is trying to catch up, not the team that is holding a lead? Because otherwise, I can't figure out what your point is. Fair play is fair play, and needs to be applied equally to both teams. And I walked you through step by step why that blocking foul has to be called.

I'll even admit that watching the play live in real time, I thought what happened was that Edwards set a legal screen, then slightly leaned into Marshall and brought her hands up a bit. At that point, I agreed that the call was controversial and that Iowa may have "gotten away with one." But after watching replays, and specifically the series of photos above, there is no question that particular instance was a foul that had to be called. Not calling it gives a distinct advantage to UConn that they don't deserve.

Double edged sword no? You guys are not a free flow game like soccer, football, basketball, hockey, etc. But yeah not nearly as much nuance since calls don’t stop the flow of game per se.

That being said, you still introduce human error and judgement via….strike zone. Balls and strikes are argued pretty vehemently, albeit not necessarily by fans.

But I guess baseball does have something unique - 0 interpretation. You can see after the fact if it was a ball or strike. That’s pretty cool to be able to see an umps %s and stuff. Which at the end of the day the only question is - how has angel Hernandez held a job for so long!?

I almost stopped reading at this point. The NBA is a joke. I refuse to watch it for this very reason. Actual fouls, traveling, carries and double dribbles that aren't called. Favoritism given to the star players. Flopping by a player that some consider to be the greatest to ever play. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I love the game of basketball, and for that reason, I only watch college basketball.
I honest to goodness stopped reading here. That’s fair! You just watch college. That’s awesome, be a fan, and great to chat with you.

What I’m seeing said here, I say this without judgement, seems to be coming from casual fans, folks that maybe don’t actively play the sport, etc. And there’s nothing wrong with that, and who the hell knows I may be wrong.

Good luck in todays game!

That being said, you still introduce human error and judgement via….strike zone. Balls and strikes are argued pretty vehemently, albeit not necessarily by fans.

I hear your point, and I love baseball as much as anyone. But may I present evidence to the contrary?

I guess my exhibit A would be us. Poker players complain more than anybody, and we have nothing to complain about - there are no “calls!” People gonna bitch.

I honest to goodness stopped reading here. That’s fair! You just watch college. That’s awesome, be a fan, and great to chat with you.
Considering that the game we are discussing is a college game, then significant comparisons to the NBA are irrelevant. It's a different game. Just like even the college women's and men's games are different and the media continuing to insist that Clark broke the Men's scoring record is ludicris.
What I’m seeing said here, I say this without judgement, seems to be coming from casual fans, folks that maybe don’t actively play the sport, etc. And there’s nothing wrong with that, and who the hell knows I may be wrong.

Good luck in todays game!
Not even close to a casual fan. Participant in multiple sports in my youth and a voracious fan of many sports for 60 years.

Just like even the college women's and men's games are different and the media continuing to insist that Clark broke the Men's scoring record is ludicris.
I dunno man. The 3-point line is the same distance. And since that seems like the only thing that matters in basketball these days, I’m fine with it.

Only on PCF, where we love CEOs and coaches. Don't forget about Iowa coaching staff! They're really underrated with everything they're doing.

Meanwhile, their secret strategy was just uncovered and published in SI and ESPN: "Give the ball to Clark":

Round 1:
Clark most minutes
2nd most rebounds
most assists (1/2 of the teams assists by herself)

Round 2:
Clark most minutes
Clark most points (1/2 the teams points)
Most assists
3rd most rebounds

Round 3:
Clark most minutes
Clark most points (over 30% of teams points)
Most assists (75% of teams assists)
3rd most rebounds

Round 4:
Clark most minutes
Clark most points (43% of teams points)
Clark most rebounds
Clark most assists

Round 5:
Clark most minutes
Clark 2nd most points (30% of teams points)
Most rebounds
Most assists

This woman just be on a whole different level. She just does what, is a leading rebounder on the team meanwhile making up almost (literally) every single assist and scoring over a 1/3rd of the teams points? Lmao, but pause, make sure the coaches and others get their flowers :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Only on PCF, where we love CEOs and coaches. Don't forget about Iowa coaching staff! They're really underrated with everything they're doing.

Meanwhile, their secret strategy was just uncovered and published in SI and ESPN: "Give the ball to Clark":

Round 1:
Clark most minutes
2nd most rebounds

Round 2:
Clark most minutes
Most assists
3rd most rebounds

Round 3:
Clark most minutes
3rd most rebounds

Round 4:
Clark most minutes
Clark most rebounds
Clark most assists

Round 5:
Clark most minutes
Most rebounds
Most assists

This woman just be on a whole different level. She just does what, is a leading rebounder on the team meanwhile making up almost (literally) every single assist and scoring over a 1/3rd of the teams points? Lmao, but pause, make sure the coaches and others get their flowers :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Clark is obviously the main reason Iowa is making these runs. But don’t diminish the coaching. I re-watched the game against SC last year and think the game plan was the reason we won. Dared them to make shots outside of ten feet. We get killed on the boards, but we plan well and execute well.

Thought maybe everyone's opinions were valid here. Figured I can't talk when I don't watch.

Tune in, oh my lord this is absolutely god awful. Maybe you guys *should* watch non college sports too.

Maybe college rules are completely 100% different in regards to space to land when shooting, non shooting motions with kickouts, etc., but this is horrendous.

Also, what a joke about the NBA. I've watched at least 5 carries so far where they gather the ball, step into the shooting motion, and then drop the ball and offball hand last second to crossover. This and traveling are the two most iconic things in the NBA today that drive the "you can do whatever you want" topic, and apparently it's also a primary tool in...checks notes...women's NCAA.

I should know better than to argue sports here....

1712517861003.png

Clark is obviously the main reason Iowa is making these runs. But don’t diminish the coaching. I re-watched the game against SC last year and think the game plan was the reason we won. Dared them to make shots outside of ten feet. We get killed on the boards, but we plan well and execute well.
I don't understand how you can even begin to estimate the coaching or anyone elses impact on this season though when one player leads the team in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. That's not even the crazy statistic, nor the leading league in points and assists.

What's absolutely bonkers is that she averages over a 1/3 of her teams points, is the team leader in rebounds, twice as many steals, and 4x more assists than anyone else on her team.

Caitlin Clark is in the 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of team MVPs. It's like if Tom Brady threw 50% of his touchdowns to himself and did the teams laundry.

Round 1:
Clark most minutes
2nd most rebounds

Round 2:
Clark most minutes
Most assists
3rd most rebounds

Round 3:
Clark most minutes
3rd most rebounds

Round 4:
Clark most minutes
Clark most rebounds
Clark most assists

Round 5:
Clark most minutes
Most rebounds
Most assists

Now, you really are just trolling. It’s funny the opposing coaches haven’t figured out how to guard this girl in the game of five on one.

Now, you really are just trolling. It’s funny the opposing coaches haven’t figured out how to guard this girl in the game of five on one.
It's not trolling, those are legitimate stats I pulled. And you're absolutely right, despite being sarcastic. It is funny, although I would say amazing that opposing coaches can't figure out how to guard this girl and beat a team that has half of its points, 1/4 of its rebounds, and all of it's assists by one person. Speaks to Clark's otherworldlyness, no doubt.

Thought maybe everyone's opinions were valid here. Figured I can't talk when I don't watch.

Tune in, oh my lord this is absolutely god awful. Maybe you guys *should* watch non college sports too.

Maybe college rules are completely 100% different in regards to space to land when shooting, non shooting motions with kickouts, etc., but this is horrendous.

Also, what a joke about the NBA. I've watched at least 5 carries so far where they gather the ball, step into the shooting motion, and then drop the ball and offball hand last second to crossover. This and traveling are the two most iconic things in the NBA today that drive the "you can do whatever you want" topic, and apparently it's also a primary tool in...checks notes...women's NCAA.

View attachment 1307011
I grew up with the Larry Bird Celtics, so of course I was a big nba fan. But the sport got away from me and I stopped watching sometime around the mid ‘90s. Now I’m a bandwagon fan - I’ll watch the Celtics in the playoffs. But I totally don’t understand the game anymore, especially the travel rules or lack thereof. I hate it.

I grew up with the Larry Bird Celtics, so of course I was a big nba fan. But the sport got away from me and I stopped watching sometime around the mid ‘90s. Now I’m a bandwagon fan - I’ll watch the Celtics in the playoffs. But I totally don’t understand the game anymore, especially the travel rules or lack thereof. I hate it.
I'm a coach at the youth (exteme) level, so it's nice that I can avoid all that :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I'm *just* a bit too old that a lot of what's in the common bag today I haven't personally worked on - hardens stepback, yoyo dribble - hell even my layup package would be missing probably 20 mandatory needs.

But I'm old school with my littles, they are fundamental driven, defense first teams. So I'm definitely of a similar viewpoint probably on things like the current game and rules/interpretations/travels/etc.

The NBA is just So. Damn. Fast. And they're fricken smart now too, spending all offseason working with specialists and refs and such with rule interpretations and what they can institute and what to work on. It's definitely changed over the years and I could see it not looking like it used to - and that not being a positive for folks. As it stands today, I couldn't even coach individual moves/motions at the high school level.

View attachment 1307011
NCAA-W basketball is to NCAA-M basketball as CFL is to NFL. It's the same game, but it's completely different.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom