split spots on Diamond Square mold from CPC? (4 Viewers)

I appreciate all this but if it’s a known issue and to be expected, why not clearly state it so everyone can make an informed decision?
It's a known issue that it can happen. It's not 'expected'. For the few hundred problem chips that are shown in this thread there is no mention of the 50,000 that were delivered where the customers are not here so there is a somewhat false impression that it happens all the time. That is not the case.. It's not known why it happens. I'm not sure any other info would help one make an informed decision.
There are many many threads buried in this forum that have discussed all this before. Unfortunately all this info is not in one place.

I appreciate all this but if it’s a known issue and to be expected, why not clearly state it so everyone can make an informed decision?
Looking back over all these thread responses there seems to be only 2 newer sets that have a disappointing yield & the original thread poster is having 100 replacements made to help improve things.

I'm guessing a large amount of splits is fairly uncommon and somewhat random? If this is the case it's hard to put a disclaimer on things. However, if say @David Spragg was aware that say 40% of xMold xSpot produced errors [every time] he would and could advise this in advance.

Attachments

• 8643cf07be50cc3c2a27fb34646bbf5c.jpg
    8643cf07be50cc3c2a27fb34646bbf5c.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 88
It's a known issue that it can happen. It's not 'expected'. For the few hundred problem chips that are shown in this thread there is no mention of the 50,000 that were delivered where the customers are not here so there is a somewhat false impression that it happens all the time. That is not the case.. It's not known why it happens. I'm not sure any other info would help one make an informed decision.
There are many many threads buried in this forum that have discussed all this before. Unfortunately all this info is not in one place.
I understand, I’m just a little concerned for my upcoming order. I don’t mind irregularities and the occasional split spot - quite the contrary, I believe it adds character. But I wouldn’t appreciate split spots up to the same point that has been displayed in this thread.

I understand, I’m just a little concerned for my upcoming order. I don’t mind irregularities and the occasional split spot - quite the contrary, I believe it adds character. But I wouldn’t appreciate split spots up to the same point that has been displayed in this thread.
See my email.

Looking back over all these thread responses there seems to be only 2 newer sets that have a disappointing yield & the original thread poster is having 100 replacements made to help improve things.

I'm guessing a large amount of splits is fairly uncommon and somewhat random? If this is the case it's hard to put a disclaimer on things. However, if say @David Spragg was aware that say 40% of xMold xSpot produced errors [every time] he would and could advise this in advance.
Yes if I knew that I would point it out. I am obviously aware of all orders in the pipeline and there is nothing there where I can say 'this might be an issue'.

I’ll just make a quick comment here - I love my CPC chips, and look forward to my next order. I have always found David to be super responsive and appreciate what COVID has done to many businesses.

I don’t have another pic of Club House trimoon add-on but I know none of them had split spots. They came out perfect

960E896A-7025-4C14-974A-F15412843F2C.jpeg

And to David’s comment about aligning all the bad spots to make it look worse, here is a pic of 100 of my $1 chips after I did the splashed pot pic and randomly put them back in the rack. The splits still stand out IMO.

2A3C2425-E428-4185-9A8B-BD82CEE0EF28.jpeg

I don't think most people realise that in many cases we start with maybe 40% more chips than are needed as it is.
The only way we can make even more is to increase some prices 50% and that will result in people waiting 50% longer for their orders.

I fail to understand why people show pics of older sets here with complaints that were never ever mentioned to me.

If we knew the solution it would have been implemented. As was pointed out I explained the many different variables that can cause these problems and I repeat it is not a new phenomenon. It's something ASM and Burt Co for 50 years before them always had. It's a problem Paulson have had for 40 years also.

One split spot on a multi spot chip has always been pretty common. Arrange the chips in a rack so that the bad spots are all lined up facing the camera and it looks way worse.

Only options I see are to either remove half our options, add huge price increases, or shut down.
The first two options are likely to cause the 3rd one anyway.

Our chips are handmade piece by piece. It is an incredibly expensive and time consuming process and impossible to get correct even near all the time. Covid had and continues to have significant impacts on us both financially and in terms of production. Most similar type businesses to us no longer exist as a result of Covid. Neither the process or employees involved have changed so that is not a reason. Customers ordering permutations we have never made before is one reason. Things are not forecastable as many people think, and much of the hypothesis on why and how etc. presented here is inaccurate.
I think there are a lot of valid points. But from an neutral perspective i must say, i never heard such an argument made by a company. I mean it is a business isnt it? Iam not trying to provoke. But the reasoning with the break even and no profit and we will have to stop producing if so and so, gives an impression that it is a charity and only goodwill that you guys are in the chip manufacturing business (still calling it a business). It doesnt give the impression imo that you are trying to satisfy customers (i mean they are paying so i guess they are customers). Of course it is not fair though if some claims havent made to you your company and you didnt had a chance to make it up.
But this comes with a lot of rating sites google, trustpilot etc. Every company has the same struggle. And i would rather have you see these threads in a forum where everyone generally speaking has goodwill towards cpc, to see it as a chance to get returning customers and show how well you handle things if there are problems.

I don’t have another pic of Club House trimoon add-on but I know none of them had split spots. They came out perfect

View attachment 638817

And to David’s comment about aligning all the bad spots to make it look worse, here is a pic of 100 of my $1 chips after I did the splashed pot pic and randomly put them back in the rack. The splits still stand out IMO.

View attachment 638822

yes, I am hoping for far fewer split spots than this...remain nervous but hopeful

I think there are a lot of valid points. But from an neutral perspective i must say, i never heard such an argument made by a company. I mean it is a business isnt it? Iam not trying to provoke. But the reasoning with the break even and no profit and we will have to stop producing if so and so, gives an impression that it is a charity and only goodwill that you guys are in the chip manufacturing business (still calling it a business). It doesnt give the impression imo that you are trying to satisfy customers (i mean they are paying so i guess they are customers). Of course it is not fair though if some claims havent made to you your company and you didnt had a chance to make it up.
But this comes with a lot of rating sites google, trustpilot etc. Every company has the same struggle. And i would rather have you see these threads in a forum where everyone generally speaking has goodwill towards cpc, to see it as a chance to get returning customers and show how well you handle things if there are problems.
You say that every company has the same struggle. Do you think that other companies only respond to issues raised on public forums when the customers haven't even bothered to contact the company?

If you saw the history behind CPC (described well elsewhere in the forum) you would know that we pretty much operate it as a hobby, not a profit making business. It never has been and we have vast amounts of $$ invested in it that we will never see back. The costs, for example of building a new factory from scratch and moving 5000sqft worth of machinery and equipment 2,500 miles during the winter (and having to rebuild/repair) much as a result, adds up to the equivalent of many years revenue alone. Had we known that full cost in advance we might not have even gone ahead. It didn't represent a reduction in profit, it represented an unrecoverable loss. The only reason we did it was to preserve the last remaining clay chip manufacturer who sold to the public and to keep a number of people employed who had been long time friends.

Every customer that has bothered to email us with issues that they considered had to be resolved has been dealt with and those issues fixed one way or another. It is not my fault that customers do not ever both to come back to the thread and point that out.

You say that every company has the same struggle. Do you think that other companies only respond to issues raised on public forums when the customers haven't even bothered to contact the company?

If you saw the history behind CPC (described well elsewhere in the forum) you would know that we pretty much operate it as a hobby, not a profit making business. It never has been and we have vast amounts of $$ invested in it that we will never see back. The costs, for example of building a new factory from scratch and moving 5000sqft worth of machinery and equipment 2,500 miles during the winter (and having to rebuild/repair) much as a result, adds up to the equivalent of many years revenue alone. Had we known that full cost in advance we might not have even gone ahead. It didn't represent a reduction in profit, it represented an unrecoverable loss. The only reason we did it was to preserve the last remaining clay chip manufacturer who sold to the public and to keep a number of people employed who had been long time friends.

Every customer that has bothered to email us with issues that they considered had to be resolved has been dealt with and those issues fixed one way or another. It is not my fault that customers do not ever both to come back to the thread and point that out.
Yes i do think every company has to struggle with bad (even worse than here, because i still think its a pretty friendly atmosphere here towards cps) reviews without being contacted. And if they care they will answer there (if the site allows it) and try to save their reputation. But iam talking here ofc about real business companies. I didnt know that this is just a side hobby. Then i t is a little bit different, but not completely, because i cant tell that it is only charity from looking at your website and people are paying money for it. But as i said i didnt want to provoke, i just think communication (when i still assumed it was a business at least) and customer service could present itself a little better here, like i said criticism (even the ones u hear on this site for the first time) can be viewed as a chance.

In the ASM days, the ones with the white circles were considered a defect. The ones in the red circle would have been acceptable.

IMHO - these are two different types of spots. Split spot and spike spot. Split spot (white circle) is when the base colour goes all the way through the spot and should be considered a defect. In my eyes it’s like when I try to wear my daisy dukes, the extra...materialhas to go somewhere and it ain’t usually flattering. I remember that one of the first sets on the hour glass mold was yellow with black spots. The member ended up colouring the spots in with Sharpie, but I believe they were still remade.

The spiked spot (red circle) is awesome and part of the beauty of a hand made product.

View attachment 629336
Agree with this. I would not do another order if I knew I would get split spot chips I’d have to keep.

i just think communication (when i still assumed it was a business at least) and customer service could present itself a little better here, like i said criticism (even the ones u hear on this site for the first time) can be viewed as a chance.

Better customer service? Unless I'm misreading something, they are attempting to address the issue noted in the OP, and David even reached out privately to another customer who posted in this thread to alleviate their concern. You will find very few businesses that are as responsive as David and folks at CPC, they understand they offer a niche service and cater to some crazy chippers. The dude replied within like 10 minutes to an email I sent him at 10pm last night. 10 minutes! They take a tremendous amount of pride in their product, and if you have issues with your order, they're willing to work with you to fix it to the extent possible, all you have to do is contact them.

Better customer service? Unless I'm misreading something, they are attempting to address the issue noted in the OP, and David even reached out privately to another customer who posted in this thread to alleviate their concern. You will find very few businesses that are as responsive as David and folks at CPC, they understand they offer a niche service and cater to some crazy chippers. The dude replied within like 10 minutes to an email I sent him at 10pm last night. 10 minutes! They take a tremendous amount of pride in their product, and if you have issues with your order, they're willing to work with you to fix it to the extent possible, all you have to do is contact them.
And don't forget I'm 5 hours ahead of you!

I wrote it in a few spots in this thread, but it bears repeating. It's important that customers have the opportunity to make their voices heard when a product doesn't meet expectations as well as make others aware of potential issues. It's however equally important to point out that CPC has appeared to take this seriously from the beginning with offering to re-make 100 chips for @Rhodeman77.

I can personally say that I reached out to David tonight with my concerns and that I received a reply within minutes providing an explanation for my individual situation as well as options for resolving the issues brought up.

Shit happens, but a company that works to make it right makes all the difference. I'll have no qualms about ordering CPC again.

I would consider some of the chip edges posted here as problematic.
I however have to declare that I have never come to contact with a more responsive and accommodating business manager than @David Spragg , in any walk of life. I 'm sure he 'll continue to do his best, as he has always done.

To honour CPC, as a fully satisfied customer, here are some pics of non-problematic :) chips of "suspect" configurations:

DG base, Retro and DG spots:
orange blue.jpg

Weighed base, DG and DG spots:
c5.jpg

Bright White (unweighed) base, weighed spots
c100.jpg

Retro (unweighed) base, weighed spots
c50.jpg

That does sound very good and cool the issues will be fixed. I just meant the communication like we dont break even and we have to stop producing and its mostly goodwill, not business/profit that they are still running, is something i never heard of a company before and imo could be presented a little better. And i wanted to point out that ofc its fairer if customer contact the company first if they have issues, but this is something that with all the forums, rating sites has become normal for most companies(but ofc iam mostly talking about companies who do it for business/profit, and not what i understood now as almost a hobby).

I also want to add that David emailed me within 10 minutes based only on my concerns voiced in this thread. I would have asked him directly via email but didn’t need to, since he obviously keeps an ear to the ground regarding his products and customer service. Simply incredible!

I would consider some of the chip edges posted here as problematic.
I however have to declare that I have never come to contact with a more responsive and accommodating business manager than @David Spragg , in any walk of life. I 'm sure he 'll continue to do his best, as he has always done.

To honour CPC, as a fully satisfied customer, here are some pics of non-problematic :) chips of "suspect" configurations:

DG base, Retro and DG spots:
View attachment 639022

Weighed base, DG and DG spots:
View attachment 639025

Bright White (unweighed) base, weighed spots
View attachment 639029

Retro (unweighed) base, weighed spots
View attachment 639032
One of my favourite inlay designs. Clean, simple. Just great.

That $5 is pure fire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom