Sitting at the Table (1 Viewer)

Kain8

Flush
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sat like this at a table:

Antonio_Esfandiari_22843.jpg

I see it every now and then by pros but I've always been a little confused by it. Is it for comfort? Is it to keep your hands away from your chips to prevent giving away live tells? Some other reason altogether? I guess it's one of those intangible aspects that there may not be much information on.

How do you normally sit at the table when you're playing and where are your hands?

I've found myself in that position from time to time, and I'm not sure why. I've thought about it, and I don't think there's any pattern to it; I don't think I'm giving anything up.
I will say that I often find myself leaning over and covering my cards with both hands, which makes it difficult for people to tell if I'm in the hand, so maybe this position is my reaction to stop doing that? I don't know.

For what it's worth, it LOOKS weak. It looks like the sort of self-comforting behavior described in the old Caro book that would lead to you to believe that somebody's weak and/or bluffing. But I'm not sure that's the case. I've seen this position a lot recently - who knows why; maybe pro's are subconsciously copying each other - and I haven't noticed it to be associated with strength or weakness.

I do it sometimes. It's a position that you (or at least, I) can hold comfortably for several minutes without moving while someone is tanking forever.

I do sometimes because my Trapezius (sp?) muscles are basically always tight & sore. Sitting like that lets me get a handful of the muscle and apply pressure to relieve the discomfort. Although in my case I wouldn't be leaning on the table with my elbow

He's trying to see what time it is obviously.

Maybe it's like golf, you copy the pros form to make your game better. I'll try it tonight and see if it helps.

I find myself in that position from time to time, usually when the table is high and/or the chairs are low. It's quite comfortable.

This is my default position these days - simply out of habit and the desire to behave the same regardless of my holdings. Plus I can pretend I'm Ben Lamb.

I sit like that often. More often with my hand on the other side of my neck. I initial started doing it because I have a very visible carotid pulse and it made me more comfortable to cover it. I've been doing it so long now that it is just the way I sit.

bill klein.jpg

noticed Bill Klein intentionally sit this way in the first one drop and some other high roller events. Other pros jumped on the band wagon but I had a hard time finding any concrete info when I looked around.AND before I found the knowledge base that is PCF. I believe @BGinGA hit it on the head

It covers the neck (and artery), similar to the function of a scarf or hoodie. And it's legal.

This is likely why. It does look a bit unnatural but the pros have their reasons for doing things. Seeing the pulse is one tell that is easy to see and you can't really stop unless you physically obscure it.

Wish I could think of better, non-criminal scumbag examples, but alas...... I find myself most often sitting like this:

IMG_2209.JPG

Or:

IMG_2210.JPG

They're organic tendencies, very comfortable to me.

When at my family game, I frequently sit like Antonio depicted in OP or seated up on one leg, loosely shuffling and breaking balls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom