Tourney How Many to a Table? (2 Viewers)

Should I have given in to Danny's demands that we play 11-handed?

• No.

• Absolutely not.

• Never.

• Not a chance.

• Forget it.

• Sure, let's just allow players to manipulate basic tenets of the game for their own advantage.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimulacrum

Full House
Reaction score
A player in my tournament league really does not like to play short-handed. Let's call him Danny.

When I took over the club, there was no documentation establishing how many players to a table. On more than one occasion, Danny has tried to pressure me or the TD (players volunteer to run each individual tourney) to collapse the game into one table when it got down to 11 players.

He has basically said there's no real rule about it, and it's up to the TD. To be fair, there were hardly any written rules when I took over, but the guy I took it over from never mentioned the TD having discretion to collapse tables when he wants to—which is a truly awful rule, especially when the TD is playing. We had only ever done 10-handed tables when I played with the other guy as honcho, and 10-handed (if not 9) is pretty standard for NLHE, while 11 is very uncommon and frankly uncomfortable.

That was last season. Fast-forward to this season, and I actually put "Max table size is 10 players" on the blind schedule. Second game of the season, we get put in a weird spot where we have 10 players to start, but we have a player we expect to show up as much as 1 hour late. Incidentally, another player shows up late too, by a few minutes. So we organize into one 10-handed table, almost get started, and have to break into 5 and 6 all of a sudden.

The whole time, Danny keeps pushing to go to one 11-handed table. Not because it's a rule or there's any real reason to do it, but because he just doesn't like short-handed play. He keeps harping on about "But is there an actual rule about it?" Apparently he had not seen that I added this to the blind schedule, but it really didn't matter. I didn't want to show him the rule and have him find some other way to bitch about it, e.g., that I didn't take a democratic vote and send out a notarized update to the group informing them that I wrote down a totally standard rule. So I just say "Yes, it's a rule" and proceed to help get the game running. (No one else was complaining, just waiting for my lead.)

Danny starts at my table, where we're 5-handed. He loses a big pot to me (two pair versus flush, hardly a cooler) and spends every other hand after that complaining under his breath about having to play short-handed. I don't respond or even acknowledge what he's saying because I have lost patience with his whining.

A player busts in level 2. We go back to 10-handed. By chance, Danny ends up having to take the big blind a few hands into 10-handed play, and he complains about it because he "just paid" the blind at the other table. (Another player chimes in that everyone practically just paid the blind at the other table because it was so short.) We play a few hands, and the second late player shows up, earlier than we expected.

Danny again starts advocating to "filter her in" to make one 11-handed table. At this point, he's on a short stack (~2K from 7K start) and is openly irritated about having to play short-handed because the blinds are eating away at him. He's clearly pushing to go 11-handed to make his stack last longer, on top of the fact that he doesn't like short-handed play. He's also bitching that he just paid the blinds at the 5-handed table, and then the blinds hit him again at the 10-handed table, and now they might hit him again when we split up.

I have everyone draw cards to pick tables, and I declare that Danny will be the button on whatever table he lands on. There's no real justification for this ruling; I just did it so he'd shut the fuck up and stop trying to undermine everyone's confidence in the game.

He busted out shortly afterward and left the club. He was probably sore about it, but I don't really care. I'm beyond frustrated with this shit, especially after he bothered me about it and I already made the call. He kept going and going, forcing me to make the call more than once—i.e., implying that I did wrong and should reconsider, in front of everyone—in a spot where there shouldn't have even been a question. TD should have been able to manage it without a hitch or a doubt, and he would have if Danny hadn't whined.

Is there a moral to this story? Not really. Mostly venting. Feel free to participate in the very scientific poll.

Last edited:
More casual/social at my place. I'd rather squeeze in 11 and be able to hang with all my buddies at one table. 11's not too tight on a 4x8 oval with no dealer spot.
I get this perspective. And if it were a cash game, I wouldn't care; we do play 11-handed for cash sometimes.

Thing is, it has to actually be a rule. Either you play 11-max all the time or 10-max all the time. We don't play 10-max-but-sometimes-we-do-11-when-Danny-complains. Giving the TD discretion here is a fairness issue. This is the kind of decision that has to be made firmly before the tournament is underway.

I stopped reading at "When you took over the club"

You need to rid yourself of this club, lol.
I actually love the club. It has been a lot of fun to run overall, despite my misgivings about a small number of players complaining or being disruptive.

It doesn't hurt that I won the summer mini-league the first time I played, and then went on to win the main 2022–2023 league too. I like winning.

Two things. First, he got special treatment. If I were in the tournament, I wouldn't be complaining about the short handed play, but I would complain about his "auto button" position because he's a little bitch. Second, a wise man once told me "if only one person in any given situation has a problem, it's their problem". Sorry I'm not sorry. Rules are set, everyone plays by the same rules, game on.

We have a max 24 players (3 tables) for league games. Here is the rule exactly how it’s listed to our players:

10 or less players will start play at one table. 11+ players will start with two tables, and merge at 9 players remaining. 19+ players will start at 3 tables, merge to 2 tables at 18 players, and merge to 1 table at 9 players.

I try to keep the max to 9 per table, but understand the logistics and ease of beginning a 10-handed tourney at one table. It’s been a while since we’ve only had 10 players, but the rule is written down just in case.

…because I don’t need some Danny complaining about how the tourney should be setup.

We have a max 24 players (3 tables) for league games. Here is the rule exactly how it’s listed to our players:

10 or less players will start play at one table. 11+ players will start with two tables, and merge at 9 players remaining. 19+ players will start at 3 tables, merge to 2 tables at 18 players, and merge to 1 table at 9 players.

I try to keep the max to 9 per table, but understand the logistics and ease of beginning a 10-handed tourney at one table. It’s been a while since we’ve only had 10 players, but the rule is written down just in case.

…because I don’t need some Danny complaining about how the tourney should be setup.
^ Very similar to our league rules:

-- maximum 16 players in tournament field
-- maximum 9 players per table
-- tables combine (with seat redraw) at 9 remaining players

Allows for a single table with just nine entrants (very rare), and the shortest play ever gets is 5-handed until down to the final four.

And it's a league rule. #nobitchingallowed

Late people must buy in, no exceptions , and have their stack blinded down until they show up. I have never been at a game where you break one table into two. Just set up stacks like they are there - problem solved. In tournament play.

My game is very very social and is probably more about the banter/laughs than the cards themselves so we play 10-handed cash games all the time.

11 would be a squeeze though!

Late people must buy in, no exceptions , and have their stack blinded down until they show up. I have never been at a game where you break one table into two. Just set up stacks like they are there - problem solved. In tournament play.
Late players eat a 1,000-chip penalty in my game.

We used to let late players call in so we knew they were coming, and then we'd deal to them and blind them off, but basically everyone hated it except the players who habitually called in at 11:58 from Dunkin' Donuts.

In retrospect, I wonder if I should have started the game 5 and 5 and just merged the late players in as they arrived, but I know Danny would have howled about it.

I just restructured my game to always have 8 per table when possible, but make the final table 9. It’s worked well for the past few months.

I’d rather 4 tables for 30 players (8/8/7/7) than 3 tables Heck, at 28 players I’ll run 4 tables of 7 instead of a 10/9/9 setup. I just refuse to ever put more than 9 at a table. I don’t do dealers either. My max players has been adjusted to 36 players now. I’m not building a 5th table for for people either.

And screw danny

I get this perspective. And if it were a cash game, I wouldn't care; we do play 11-handed for cash sometimes.

Thing is, it has to actually be a rule. Either you play 11-max all the time or 10-max all the time. We don't play 10-max-but-sometimes-we-do-11-when-Danny-complains. Giving the TD discretion here is a fairness issue. This is the kind of decision that has to be made firmly before the tournament is underway.
My first home game was 11 handed, I had fun, but for tourneys you need to segregate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom