My experience giving the Bullets Poker app a shot at running our home game (1 Viewer)

London24

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I play in a monthly cash game where we have a dedicated dealer come in and run the show for us- we play twice as many hands vs. self-dealt, can concentrate on catching up and don’t have to work out side pots and chip counts when we’re half-cut towards the end of the night.

However on Saturday night, with half a table of inexperienced noobs mixed in with 5 regs our dealer cancelled at the last minute and left us to fend for ourselves.

Seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out the Bullets Poker app (https://bullets.poker/) I’ve been playing around with for a few weeks. You set up a private game, send everyone the code to join your table, then everyone is “dealt” their hole cards to their mobile phone. A small swipe allows you to peek the top corner of your cards, and flicking up folds them. A tablet in the centre of the real table shows the community cards for all to see. We played a game mode where we still used real chips, so the game just dealt cards for us. It can see who folds so it knows where round the table the play is, and the “dealer” taps a button on their phone to tell it when to deal the flop, turn and river. And after a showdown it tells you who won the hand.

So a really clever idea, ideal if you don’t like shuffling / dealing with the added bonus of maximising the money in the game- no dealer fees or tips, so more cash on the table. We’re all tech savvy so no issues getting the app installed, accounts created and getting the hang of the user interface.

Anyway, long story short we all hated it and it felt like it ripped some of the soul out of our game. Similar response to when I tried to get everyone to cash in and out via Revolut (European Venmo) instead of throwing actual cash around the table. After an hour we unanimously decided to break out the Modiano Platinums and slum it dealing ourselves.

I think we might give it one last go in a dedicated game where we all commit to using it all night just to confirm our gut reactions- can’t argue with the speed it allowed us to play at, and the money it saved on a real dealer, so would be foolish to dismiss it completely after just an hour.

Would be really interested to hear other PCFers’ thoughts and experiences with the app.

I know most of us are sold on this already, but it got me thinking about how crucial the analogue and tactile elements of poker are- the sound and feel of shuffling and shoving chips, the luxurious feel of a padded rail and cushioned playing surface, the supple bend of peeking plastic cards, counting out and stuffing a roll of banknotes into your pocket at the end of the night. Plus good food, drink and company. I’m not sure any app or tech can beat any of that.

Probably 7-8 years ago my group tried the Bold Poker app, which was very similar this Bullets app. Some players liked it a lot, because people didn’t have to shuffle and we got more hands per session in. Eventually, after using it for a year, we got the itch to use real cards again, mostly because we were starting to play more Omaha and circus games. But it wasn’t a terrible experience and some of the guys still joke about going back to that, if only it could deal all the circus games we regularly play now.

Probably 7-8 years ago my group tried the Bold Poker app, which was very similar this Bullets app. Some players liked it a lot, because people didn’t have to shuffle and we got more hands per session in. Eventually, after using it for a year, we got the itch to use real cards again, mostly because we were starting to play more Omaha and circus games. But it wasn’t a terrible experience and some of the guys still joke about going back to that, if only it could deal all the circus games we regularly play now.
Interesting to hear you gave it such a long go, but good point re. circus games - maybe I'll try a last chance saloon hybrid night where the app deals the regular hands and we break it up with self-dealt circus games. Probably the worst of both worlds...

Will check out Bold Poker - at first glance looks similar but with a couple of potentially improved UI tweaks

The cards and chips are half of the fun in poker for me.

So for that reason...
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

You know, I don't hate this.

I don't have the same tacticle tactile appreciation for cards as I do for chips. Saving shuffling time and cutting out dealer errors, this has potential.
(Edit: strikeout above)

Last edited:
As a younger guy who plays way more online than live, and mostly "private-game-esque" online games: PokerNow is where all the action is. Some people are on ClubGG but PokerNow has the best experience hands down. Not really made for phones (more of a laptop thing) but it handles everything smoothly and has a charming chat feature. (Most modern apps have this anyhow; pokernow is just really well designed, though. It's also free.)

That being said, the notion of playing online while in the same room as the other players sounds horrifying. I play more online than live because its easier to get online running, but the percentage of live games im invited to that I play in is near 100% and the percentage of online games I know of that I play is close to 3%. It's just that there's way more online games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom