See how it's done. (1 Viewer)

i remember a few years back at CT there were numerous thread comments about how to mill out old hot stamped paulsons, i know gear did a few with a drill press, i got a few from him to see how they turned out.....it is great to see years later the process develop farther than we may have thought back then to actually mill shaped inlays....

thanks so much for that video and congratulations on your success, keep up the good work...

wow im still shaken my head .. milled shaped inlays!!..dayummm(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:

Curious how those rubber bumpers that hold each chip were devised? Tolerances have to be pretty tight and with the way clay chips wear there's got to be some variability even within the same set.

Curious how those rubber bumpers that hold each chip were devised? Tolerances have to be pretty tight and with the way clay chips wear there's got to be some variability even within the same set.

That was one of my ideas!

Gear was working on that very issue, inconsistency of diameter between chips.
He needed a template that would accommodate a chip that is minty crisp AND one that is a rounded bicycle tire...
He wanted to avoid having multiple jigs and templates for multiple diameters.

When he was showing me the problem at hand, I thought of the plastic coin protectors that everyone uses to protect a special chip while it is a marker.
I always thought those foamy inserts were a great way to keep the coins and chips from rattling around in the hard case.
So why not make the jigs and templates the diameter of the foamy ring, and let the ring make the slight changes...

He gave it a go, and it worked!

That foamy ring is soft enough to let a larger chip compress it, but it can still hold a smaller chip in place in the center of the pocket.

I got a nice dinner date for that little innovation. :)

So while @Gear is on a "business trip" at the Rumble in the Rockies... I thought I would take the time to show you the new hotness, milling!

Gear was talking to @T_Chan one day, about the problems of milling with a drill press. @T_Chan asked him why not use a CNC to mill? @T_Chan knew a guy and got Gear in touch.

That was a year ago!
Gear spent the winter figuring out how to actually USE a CNC, how to get a consistent result with multiple chips, and how to make the whole process repeatable.
Gear is still working out a few kinks, but the results are now good enough and repeatable enough that it's worth his time to start making custom inlay chips for everyone.

Gear will answer any questions when he gets back from his "business trip" in the Rockies... :)

Have a great weekend!

@Jambine @Quicksilver-75 @Junior24xx I know the reveal is late, but probably worth the wait!
Holy crap!!!! How did I miss this until now!?!? Milled shaped inlays just blew my mind and possibly wallet...oh boy

I thought I would take the time to show you the new hotness, milling!
And those chips became...
IMG_1389.JPG

So while @Gear is on a "business trip" at the Rumble in the Rockies... I thought I would take the time to show you the new hotness, milling!

Gear was talking to @T_Chan one day, about the problems of milling with a drill press. @T_Chan asked him why not use a CNC to mill? @T_Chan knew a guy and got Gear in touch.

That was a year ago!
Gear spent the winter figuring out how to actually USE a CNC, how to get a consistent result with multiple chips, and how to make the whole process repeatable.
Gear is still working out a few kinks, but the results are now good enough and repeatable enough that it's worth his time to start making custom inlay chips for everyone.

Gear will answer any questions when he gets back from his "business trip" in the Rockies... :)

Have a great weekend!

@Jambine @Quicksilver-75 @Junior24xx I know the reveal is late, but probably worth the wait!
@Timo Wottka check out this video. :)

It's been a while, but I finally found a good example of next level colour matching.
Shout out to @DMack for providing a great example.

This is what most people think of when they hear "colour matching".
Trying to tweak the colour just right to match an inlay or spot.
These are just some of the examples that are laying around Gear's desk for one job or another.

upload_2018-3-27_11-53-6.png

Now, to the next level:

Here is a sample chip, Gear was asked to make a new denomination of.
Brown text with a white(ish) background...

upload_2018-3-27_11-31-30.png

Chris made a mock up and tried it on for colour. The orange is great, but what about the background?

upload_2018-3-27_11-33-47.png

Oh... the 5 is WAY too white! Gear had to add a LOT more colour to match the background of that 25.
Seeing the final colour on the printed sheet makes the background look positively tan!

upload_2018-3-27_11-36-41.png

I see this kind of thing go by day after day.
Colour matching isn't just the inlay.

Dmack will have to pr0n it up to show you just how these suckers turned out.

But I thought this might make a nice addition to this thread, to know how much detail work in colour matching there really is.

I don't know if here is the right thread to ask. Just some questions, since your site undergoes renovation.
-Do all hostamped chips need milling to be labeled?
-What's the price per chip for milling?
-What's the price per chip for inlay change?
-What's the price per chip for relabelling without taking out an existing label?
-Do you happen to have for sale very good condition chips suitable for relabelling? (basically looiking for $1s - I already arranged for Gear to have a rack of snappers handed over to him for that purpose in September).
Many thanks in advance

I don't know if here is the right thread to ask. Just some questions, since your site undergoes renovation.
-Do all hostamped chips need milling to be labeled?
-What's the price per chip for milling?
-What's the price per chip for inlay change?
-What's the price per chip for relabelling without taking out an existing label?
-Do you happen to have for sale very good condition chips suitable for relabelling? (basically looiking for $1s - I already arranged for Gear to have a rack of snappers handed over to him for that purpose in September).
Many thanks in advance
Hi Gear Team, Love the videos and explanation, that dedication and craftsman/woman-ship is extraordinary! Thank you for sharing a bit about the process.
I would also be interested in the answers to Coyote's questions. Thanks so much!

Hi Gear Team, Love the videos and explanation, that dedication and craftsman/woman-ship is extraordinary! Thank you for sharing a bit about the process.
I would also be interested in the answers to Coyote's questions. Thanks so much!
Hey there!

Gear is working on an FAQ that should answer most of the above, stay tuned. :)

Love it! I used to run 7 axis CNC machines at a stainless steel place, never seen one made out of wood! Great idea though and the possibilities for inlay types is huge. Looking forward to seeing more of the process.

That is an amazing video! I love that technology can enable such creative work on the secondary market. Awesome!

What an incredible thread! Thanks for the insight. I love seeing how things are done. Great job! More videos from please.

Very cool thread! So much goes into this than I ever expected! Thanks for the share!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom