Second in Chips 5 handed in a League Tournament. AQo in the C/O (2 Viewers)

Honestly, I don't like AQ as a 4 bet. When you get called, you are never good.
In this situation, I don't know. People are saying that the huge 3-bet should be feared. I kind of feel opposite. I think the big 3-bet suggests at the very least that he doesn't have a monster. If he's got AA or KK, why would he want to scare everybody off with such a big bet? I think it's more likely that he has either the big hands that @kmccormick100 suggested, or even something less (like maybe 33 or 77?) And this is villain specific, but I think most guys are folding the lesser hands to the 4-bet, and often 1010, JJ, and KQ to the 4-bet as well.

I think it's more likely that he has either the big hands that @kmccormick100 suggested, or even something less (like maybe 33 or 77?) And this is villain specific, but I think most guys are folding the lesser hands to the 4-bet, and often 1010, JJ, and KQ to the 4-bet as well.

That's the problem, the read on the villain that OP provided is that the 4-bet will be met with a shove, which means even without AA and KK it's a lot of coin flips and few dominating positions unless we think villain is 3-betting as wide as A8+ or even some Kx. With the tournament dynamics as they are, hero should not be looking for a flip against the one stack that can bust him.

If the read was there is a hunk of villain's 3 bet range he will fold, I like the 4 bet pre a lot more, but that wasn't the description of villain.

That's the problem, the read on the villain that OP provided is that the 4-bet will be met with a shove, which means even without AA and KK it's a lot of coin flips and few dominating positions unless we think villain is 3-betting as wide as A8+ or even some Kx. With the tournament dynamics as they are, hero should not be looking for a flip against the one stack that can bust him.

If the read was there is a hunk of villain's 3 bet range he will fold, I like the 4 bet pre a lot more, but that wasn't the description of villain.
Weelll, that's not exactly what he said. He said villain would shove instead of flatting out of position, but that doesn't mean villain doesn't have any folds - I inferred that he believes villain would either shove or fold to a 4-bet.

Final spoiler posted.
I think the only decision point was preflop, and I still say fold and call are very close. Once hero decided to call, all the money was going in one way or another. Villain is surely going to 5-bet shove with that also given the read. Or if villain finds a flat pre contrary to the initial assumption, he's probably shoving that flop.

I don’t like the shove on the flop, you’re still behind a lot of what I perceive as his preflop BB 4x raise 3bet range - AA, KK, QQ, chopping with some AQs, beating JJ, TT, AK and are in just OK shape against his few nut flush draws. His flop 2/3 bet is also pretty big on a board that doesn’t smack his 3b range. I think I’m flatting the flop and playing AQ as a bluff catcher. In this exact scenario idk if you can get away on the River heart, but turn action would be important.

All that being said, this is why I don’t like playing big bloated pots (generated by a bit PF 3b) against the chip leader when you can pass and pick a better spot, especially in a more substantial tournament with ICM considerations.

I don’t like the shove on the flop, you’re still behind a lot of what I perceive as his preflop BB 4x raise 3bet range - AA, KK, QQ, chopping with some AQs, beating JJ, TT, AK and are in just OK shape against his few nut flush draws. His flop 2/3 bet is also pretty big on a board that doesn’t smack his 3b range. I think I’m flatting the flop and playing AQ as a bluff catcher. In this exact scenario idk if you can get away on the River heart, but turn action would be important.

All that being said, this is why I don’t like playing big bloated pots (generated by a bit PF 3b) against the chip leader when you can pass and pick a better spot, especially in a more substantial tournament with ICM considerations.
What he said.

I don't like getting it in post flop here. No hand that's behind queens except for the nut flush draw will call here and a clean turn and then shoving would make villain sweat much more than he would have with two cards still to come rather than just one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom