Removing Mold from Custom Felts (1 Viewer)

CraigT78

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So I discovered that I had mold growth on my tables just before my last game. I store my tables in my poker room, broken down from the rails. I have the tables facing each other, playing surfaces facing each other, as to not damage the Valora. They then lean against the wall. I pull them apart and there is mold bloom smack in the center of my white logo. I have tried the following:
  • Washing on sanitize cycle with detergent and Borax
  • Soaking in white vinegar followed by a sanitize cycle
  • Drying out in the sun
Right now I have a smaple felt soaking in bleach to see what it does (if anything) to the colors on the felt - if there is no discoloration after an hour - I am going to wash again with bleach this time.

Any other suggestions?

How did this happen? I can only imagine that after wiping them down after the last game, they weren't completely dry? Or maybe a beer spill that was not fully dry. Either way it is also on the foam, but that I can bleach off to ensure it's dead. I'm beyond pissed (at myself) and hope I can recover these.

Photos:
20190923_134827.jpg
20190923_134841.jpg
20190923_134902.jpg
20190923_134920.jpg

Growth on the foam:
20190923_135255.jpg

Man that blows, I can't even imagine what would cause that in a climate controlled environment. Good Luck!

Man that blows, I can't even imagine what would cause that in a climate controlled environment. Good Luck!
Yeah - stored in my poker room at 70ish degrees. Not like they were in a basement or attic or garage. :mad:

Mix lemon juice and salt, spread over the mold. Let the lemon mixture to dry as it kills the fungus.
Let it dry.
Brush the dried lemon and salt mixture off.
Wash it with warm (not hot) water using laundry detergent.
Let it dry.

Might have to break out a toothbrush and scrub gently from the back. Laying it out to dry in the sun can work wonders on stains too.

Mix lemon juice and salt, spread over the mold. Let the lemon mixture to dry as it kills the fungus.
Let it dry.
Brush the dried lemon and salt mixture off.
Wash it with warm (not hot) water using laundry detergent.
Let it dry.
Thanks - I will add this to the list of "to try"
Might have to break out a toothbrush and scrub gently from the back. Laying it out to dry in the sun can work wonders on stains too.
Currently in the sun - thank you!

I would think the foam would be worse than the felt to try and rid mold from.
I figured laying a bleach soaked rag on top would kill any this is still alive - as valora is closed cell. Could be wrong though. If I cant get it visibly removed, I will replace the foam.

This reminds me of a mystery we had in our old house. We had beige carpets and our kids were toddlers when we moved in. Little by little we started finding black spots on the carpet. We had no idea where they were coming from and no amount of scrubbing, oxi-clean, bleach, carpet shampoo etc would remove them.

When we sold the house, we replaced the carpet and asked the carpet guy what he thought. His answer was apple juice - the kids drip from their juice boxes and the drop doesn't show up on the carpet. Weeks later, and it's oxidizing/molding leaving the black spot.

It's the juice/beer that's molding, not your cloth. I wouldn't worry about it spreading/making you sick as the mold growth is probably finished (especially if it's dry). Most stain removal techniques are intended to work on fresh spills - these are old stains and I think you're likely out of luck trying to remove them. I'd be very interested to see if you succeed!

I guess lesson to be learned is to avoid light colors on the speed cloth.

Molds thrive on organic materials like natural fibers (cotton, wool), paper, leather, wood, or surfaces coated with organic matter such as food, grease, and soil. Molds grow best in warm temperatures of 77 to 86 degrees.

Looks like airborne hot dog particles might be the culprit

Is it possible that someone spilled something the last time you use the table and it took a long time to dry completely?

I mix all my own house hold cleaning products from vinegar, bleach, baking soda, basic dish soap and lemon juice.

Have yet to find something I can't clean just as good if not better better than commercial products, maybe with a little extra elbow grease thrown in.

In general, vinegar will kill the mould spores while bleach, at best, will only help to remove the last of the stain.

Mix 80% vinegar 20% water in a container and blot mould areas with clean microfibre cloth, ideally you would be rinsing/replacing the cloth after cleaning each section of mould to avoid further contamination. You don't want to scrub too much here as you just push the stain further into the fabric.

Once mould spores are dead you can tackle any remaining stains.

Mix up a spray bottle with about 5% bleach and the rest water. Spritz onto areas with stains, leave with 30-60 seconds. Blot excess with damp microfibre cloth. Repeat as necessary until stains are gone you might need to attach both sides. If stains are still there a very soft toothbrush can be used to agitate the bleach solution. Test all this on a sample first obvs.

Good luck!

Vinegar and UV rays from the sun are the most effective killers of most molds. Spraying with a vinegar mix (as @Señor Tony suggests) and then drying in direct sunlight (for hours) will ensure it's dead. And if not dead, it will continue to grow....

Vinegar and UV rays from the sun are the most effective killers of most molds. Spraying with a vinegar mix (as @Señor Tony suggests) and then drying in direct sunlight (for hours) will ensure it's dead. And if not dead, it will continue to grow....
It soaked overnight in straight vinegar, so I'm pretty sure it's dead. Now the issue at hand is trying to remove the stains.

Next up is a light iron and putting them back on the tables. This time with only 6 staples :rolleyes:

Edit - maybe 8.

• Haha
Reactions: 72o

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom