Relabel vs Custom Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

Whichever way you go, get a hold of some chips first and order a few sample labels from gear to get a feel for how the different options will look/feel. Preferably of your own design. Also try to murder some chips, as it's definitely a time consuming activity.Try both label overs and inlay replacements on a barrel or so of the chips you have in mind. Also grab color samples and mold samples from CPC.

Whichever way you go, get a hold of some chips first and order a few sample labels from gear to get a feel for how the different options will look/feel. Preferably of your own design. Also try to murder some chips, as it's definitely a time consuming activity.Try both label overs and inlay replacements on a barrel or so of the chips you have in mind. Also grab color samples and mold samples from CPC.
Great advice. I should do some relabeling tests.

Does it tilt anyone but me that when you do inlay replacements on Paulson chips the laminated label is not as thick as the original inlay and sits further recessed in the chip??
Drives me nuts to the point I prefer a label over

Does it tilt anyone but me that when you do inlay replacements on Paulson chips the laminated label is not as thick as the original inlay and sits further recessed in the chip??

I was wondering if removing just the protective film layer would be enough to apply a laminated label so this doesn’t happen

I was wondering if removing just the protective film layer would be enough to apply a laminated label so this doesn’t happen
It might be hard to just remove the protective film and leave the label below flat enough to be consistent. I know when I removed a few racks of NYNY that sometimes the clear plastic disk would pop right off, but sometimes 1/2 the label would also stick to it.

Maybe @Gear can do a double lamination? one matte and one textured, or double matte?

I guess that, when time comes (several years of home use) to clean the chips, you can't use ultrasonic with unlaminated label-overs.
You 'd have to clean them one by one, with a toothbrush.
I wonder if, before tooth-brushing, a lukewarm shower could be applied safely.

I used my ultrasonic cleaner all the time with my unlaminated RHC havanas. Never had an issue with it. Laminated or not, the ultrasonic does not effect a gears label. They are indestructible.

Yeah, it bugs me too. Was planning on asking if he had either a thicker label or thicker laminate to alleviate the problem.

Yeah, it bugs me too. Was planning on asking if he had either a thicker label or thicker laminate to alleviate the problem.
Oh I see from his 2020 pricing, there is a thicker laminated label, but only in glossy.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/faq-pricing-2020.51511/

LABELS
matte vinyl labels, unlaminated ... 0.10 USD each

glossy vinyl labels with lamination ... 0.15 USD each
- laminate types: smooth, matte, textured, glossy

glossy vinyl labels with thick lamination ... 0.16 USD each
- laminate types: glossy

@BGinGA

There is a tick option :
img_20200116_172223-jpg.393240

Definitely tilts me a bit, but not enough to go back to a label over. I prefer the sound and feel of a thin inlay, over the visual beauty of the overlabel.

My experiences are with just one line of chips though. Maybe I ought to murder MOAR chips...

Didn't know that. I really need to do some tests labels.

Definitely tilts me a bit, but not enough to go back to a label over. I prefer the sound and feel of a thin inlay, over the visual beauty of the overlabel.

My experiences are with just one line of chips though. Maybe I ought to murder MOAR chips...
It hasn't bugged me at all. Strange. I think the reality is there are going to be trade offs whichever way you go. Stock inlays aren't perfect either.

I was just messing around with labeling and have found that 2 of the textured gear labels makes the labels perfectly flush with the inlay - at least it looks absolutely perfect on my murdered AS 1's.

I'm thinking I may experiment with slightly thinner bottom stickers. Here was @Gear feedback on the idea of putting 2 stickers down rather than 1:

1. The labels would have to line up perfectly to avoid weirdness with extra edges or ridges being visible.

2. It is always better to err on the side of slightly too small and/or slightly too shallow. If the label diameter is too large, they are unusable, and if the thickness is too great, stacking & handling problems (e.g. spinners) are created. Aiming at flush is not a good idea, in case you overshoot. Aiming at slightly-less-than-flush is better.

3. I don't know much about how well the adhesive vinyl sticks to the laminate, since that's the opposite of what's supposed to happen.

I was just messing around with labeling and have found that 2 of the textured gear labels makes the labels perfectly flush with the inlay - at least it looks absolutely perfect on my murdered AS 1's.

I'm thinking I may experiment with slightly thinner bottom stickers. Here was @Gear feedback on the idea of putting 2 stickers down rather than 1:

1. The labels would have to line up perfectly to avoid weirdness with extra edges or ridges being visible.

2. It is always better to err on the side of slightly too small and/or slightly too shallow. If the label diameter is too large, they are unusable, and if the thickness is too great, stacking & handling problems (e.g. spinners) are created. Aiming at flush is not a good idea, in case you overshoot. Aiming at slightly-less-than-flush is better.

3. I don't know much about how well the adhesive vinyl sticks to the laminate, since that's the opposite of what's supposed to happen.

There can be very slight variations in the diameter of the recess on Paulsons. So if you were labeling a very large quantity, say 500 chips, you might find that most of the labels fit almost perfectly; some of them will have a little gap; And a very few, maybe only 25 out of the 500, ride up on the inside of the lip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom