Relabel vs Custom Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

trigs

Flush
Reaction score
At some point eventually I will want to make my own personal set of poker chips. So I'm curious as to what others think about the possible pros and cons between relabeling already existing chips with my own custom inlay (or possibly labeling over an existing inlay) versus doing a full CPC custom chip set. Which do you prefer and why? What are the possible benefits of one over the other. Just looking to hear what others think and perhaps there's a pro or con that I hadn't considered.

Resale value on Paulsons is 100% (less cost of labels) whereas resale on most CPCs is ~50% as far as I can tell or less if you can sell them at all. So therefore less commitment with Paulson relabels.
Didn't actually consider this. Obviously I'm not planning on reselling but you never know.

From a security standpoint, I feel like it's the same thing. I think CPC customs give you some potential options that Paulson relabeling currently do not (more flexibility with edge spot patterns, color combinations, etc), but I think for the price and economic variance, I'd probably go with relabels for custom designs.

If the purpose is truly to
At some point eventually ... make my own personal set of poker chips
the best and easiest way is CPC, with countless customization options and excellent customer service.

Of course, Paulson chips have a much wider color palette.
Spotting and getting to buy the Paulson chips you like, however, in meaningful quantities / breakdown, can be a long and frustrating process with lots of waiting and praying involved. Again, being North America-based, you can keep them coming (buying them) and going (selling them) much easier than if on another continent.

Anyway, don't make up your mind before having a new, cleaned and oiled, CPC color chart sample set in your hands.

If the purpose is truly to

the best and easiest way is CPC, with countless customization options and excellent customer service.

Of course, Paulson chips have a much wider color palette.
Spotting and getting to buy the Paulson chips you like, however, in meaningful quantities / breakdown, can be a long and frustrating process with lots of waiting and praying involved. Again, being North America-based, you can keep them coming (buying them) and going (selling them) much easier than if on another continent.

Anyway, don't make up your mind before having a new, cleaned and oiled, CPC color chart sample set in your hands.

Good points. I was planning on grabbing a color sample set eventually.

I have a bit of experience in my short career as a chipper.

I have done overlabel. I liked the results. Then I was introduced to tactics in chip execution. ( @grantc54 ;))

I murdered a few chips and applied a full textured and laminated custom label.

I will say this, I'd NEVER do overlabels again. Full custom inlay re/re or not at all.

I have no input on CPCs, other than, once you get them, you gotta keep them. Or you will be selling them for heavy losses. IMHO of course.

Enjoy the fun of it. I sure did. I murdered and relabeled 253 NYNY $1s to Empress $1s.

Another thing to consider with label-overs...

While CPC resale value is brutal, there is definitely some loss associated with label-overs. This is because, if some one wants to use your labeled chip, they'll have to put in the effort to take the damn label off, and then clean off the sticky residue left behind. That is a lot of time/effort.

So you cannot expect 100% back on your Paulsons once you've slapped a sticker on them. You'll need to reduce the price a bit to entice a buyer.

I recently over labeled about 500 chips — Terribles, Sunset Beaches, etc. — with @Gear unlaminated labels. I must say I am extremely pleased with them.

I’m sure that a full inlay replacement would be more elegant. (I’m placing a separate order to mill and customize some THC hotstamps, which can’t really be overlabeled.)

But the overlabels are darned convincing. I can see the difference, but only if I look really closely; and none of my players will notice.

In addition to being quite affordable and quick, over labels can be removed. If you’re using a custom design, those are gonna be difficult to resell if you ever change direction. So the labels can be removed and the original value retained.

If you did sell them, the thing to do would be to remove the labels yourself, and do any necessary cleanup, to avoid taking a price hit.

I know I know… You’re never going to sell your chips. That’s what I thought at one point. Then I got exposed to some other options and got lured away. I now have two tournament and two cash sets. I’d like to think these will last me a lifetime.

But who am I kidding? 50% of all marriages end in divorce, right?

Another thing to consider with label-overs...

While CPC resale value is brutal, there is definitely some loss associated with label-overs. This is because, if some one wants to use your labeled chip, they'll have to put in the effort to take the damn label off, and then clean off the sticky residue left behind. That is a lot of time/effort.

So you cannot expect 100% back on your Paulsons once you've slapped a sticker on them. You'll need to reduce the price a bit to entice a buyer.

For sure a valid point, but you would always have the option to do this work yourself and sell the chips without labels. But definitely takes quite a bit of time and effort, so worth to mention.

For sure a valid point, but you would always have the option to do this work yourself and sell the chips without labels. But definitely takes quite a bit of time and effort, so worth to mention.

I recently bought 300 overlabeled chips from a PCFer, who sold them at a lower price if I did the removal.

I did it during a long weekend of watching football. It was a lot of “work,” but really once I got the hang of a good technique, it went fast. There was a little residue, but since I was relabeling them with my own, I didn’t have to remove any except in a very few instances where it looked bumpy.

I recently bought 300 overlabeled chips from a PCFer, who sold them at a lower price if I did the removal.

I did it during a long weekend of watching football. It was a lot of “work,” but really once I got the hang of a good technique, it went fast. There was a little residue, but since I was relabeling them with my own, I didn’t have to remove any except in a very few instances where it looked bumpy.

There is a risk of damaging the inlay underneath. I noticed this more on 43 mm chips, but it can occur on any chip (chip dependent, the damage rate per chip will also vary). Make sure you test a few first to make sure you will be able to unlabel without issue.

There is a risk of damaging the inlay underneath. I noticed this more on 43 mm chips, but it can occur on any chip (chip dependent, the damage rate per chip will also vary). Make sure you test a few first to make sure you will be able to unlabel without issue.

It certainly takes care. I used the point of a slightly dull X-Acto knife to pry up an edge, then peeled the rest with my finger once I could grip it.

It’s important not to press into the chip, and to try to get just the very outer edge of the label up. Getting it at a shallow angle (i.e. with the tip of the blade as parallel as possible to the label edge) seemed best.

Until I got the technique down, I did do some damage — mainly to my opposing thumb holding the chip, which I nicked several times when the X-Acto slipped. I eventually put a double Band Aid on the thumb for protection, not owning a thimble...

Resale value on Paulsons is 100% (less cost of labels) whereas resale on most CPCs is ~50% as far as I can tell or less if you can sell them at all. So therefore less commitment with Paulson relabels.
Psh, lately the only way to sell Paulson's is at a loss lol Markets poooooop. But they definitely retain their value better than China clays and CPC's.

Psh, lately the only way to sell Paulson's is at a loss lol Markets poooooop. But they definitely retain their value better than China clays and CPC's.

For sure the market is slow these days.

Or the market was crazy a year ago.. depends how you look at it I guess.

Anyways, I also choose to do a semi custom Paulson set rather than CPCs. Both are good options of course, but until CPC gets a more vibrant yellow and maybe some more colors I'll wait it out. The flexibility of a CPC set is obviously much better than with relabeled Paulsons though, and it's easy to find examples of great sets here on the forum

The white edge of an over lable tilts me.

Example please? can't remember seeing any white edge? I definitely prefer full inlay removal if going the paulson route. Most likely hurt resale value, but will look and feel better imo.

downloadfile.jpg

Green $2 chips were a lable overs I did as quarters. On a dark label I can see the white edge where the lable was cut.

I own a customer CPC set, have owned a inlay replacement CPC set, labeled over Paulsons, and am working on a full inlay replacement Paulson set.

The easiest to do by far is the custom CPC set. Design the chips and inlay, pay for them, then wait several months for them to show up.

Next easiest is the CPC/ASM inlay replacement. The original inlays come out very easy. Order new laminated labels and install them. This is very cost effective way because second hand CPC sets usually sell for 50% or so of their original cost, plus the cost of the new labels. The set I had cost me about $1/chip. The hardest and most time consuming part is finding the chips. It can take a long time and even if you find a set it may not have a good breakdown for what you need. Also the chips may not be that great of color/spot combinations.

Labeling over Paulsons is okay. They look fine, but you can often see a line of the edge of the label. They definitely are not in the same class as inlay replacement. Label over are actually harder to apply because the recess is much shallower and the labels are very thin.

Full inlay replacement Paulsons look amazing!! There have been a bunch of them lately that have me drooling.

The labor to remove the original inlay is much harder and takes longer than a CPC chip. If you pay for someone to do it it adds a lot to the cost of the set.

The cost of Paulson chips can be pretty high (even before labels) depending on what you are looking for i.e. THC mold vs RHC, much more reasonable price wise. Even if you have the funds finding the right chips in quantities can be difficult. It took me about 1 year to get all the chips I have for my set. But I wasn’t constantly searching for them.

As we like to say around here, get both!! :D

I own a customer CPC set, have owned a inlay replacement CPC set, labeled over Paulsons, and am working on a full inlay replacement Paulson set.

The easiest to do by far is the custom CPC set. Design the chips and inlay, pay for them, then wait several months for them to show up.

Next easiest is the CPC/ASM inlay replacement. The original inlays come out very easy. Order new laminated labels and install them. This is very cost effective way because second hand CPC sets usually sell for 50% or so of their original cost, plus the cost of the new labels. The set I had cost me about $1/chip. The hardest and most time consuming part is finding the chips. It can take a long time and even if you find a set it may not have a good breakdown for what you need. Also the chips may not be that great of color/spot combinations.

Labeling over Paulsons is okay. They look fine, but you can often see a line of the edge of the label. They definitely are not in the same class as inlay replacement. Label over are actually harder to apply because the recess is much shallower and the labels are very thin.

Full inlay replacement Paulsons look amazing!! There have been a bunch of them lately that have me drooling.

The labor to remove the original inlay is much harder and takes longer than a CPC chip. If you pay for someone to do it it adds a lot to the cost of the set.

The cost of Paulson chips can be pretty high (even before labels) depending on what you are looking for i.e. THC mold vs RHC, much more reasonable price wise. Even if you have the funds finding the right chips in quantities can be difficult. It took me about 1 year to get all the chips I have for my set. But I wasn’t constantly searching for them.

As we like to say around here, get both!! :D

Very informative response... thanks for this.

One thing to also note is that if you’re not a good designer you may also have costs to have an inlay designed for you.

I love how the inlay replacements have turned out for my Paulson set... so much so that I’m likely to do the same for 2 or 3 more sets... except I will likely suck it up and do it myself.

Example please? can't remember seeing any white edge? I definitely prefer full inlay removal if going the paulson route. Most likely hurt resale value, but will look and feel better imo.

It can be seen here...this is a pic of my NYNY $1 with an "overlabel"..
IMG_20191211_153208.jpg

It also covers the the line or recess edge of the inlay area...here is a good comparison with fully murdered on the left compared to overlabel
IMG_20191211_153231.jpg

I guess that, when time comes (several years of home use) to clean the chips, you can't use ultrasonic with unlaminated label-overs.
You 'd have to clean them one by one, with a toothbrush.
I wonder if, before tooth-brushing, a lukewarm shower could be applied safely.

Some great advice here, thanks. I didn't know the specifics of over labeling with a possible line showing. That could bother me. Also didn't consider issues with cleaning over labels in the future.

Is it bad that I am considering just doing both eventually? I may have a problem ;)

Personally I really don't care for overlabels on THC chips. But it looks better on RHCs, which mostly have gloss inlays anyway.

Is it bad that I am considering just doing both eventually?

Not at all mate! Experiments man! You must do them. Lots of peeps LOVE their overlabels.

For me, the biggest appeal of inlay removal versus label over, is the feel of the stacks. They do feel different with the label overs. More slippery. The sound is different when shuffling..IMHO!

I may have a problem ;)

Haha! You and me both!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom