Reddit Post - Chips Per Player Based On Your Set Calculator (1 Viewer)

Something tell me this guy never host a home game before or maybe just once :unsure:

It always easier to hand out in barrel and not odds number. So not sure how useful this will be for new poker host
How do you hand out barrels in a 1/2 game with buyins of 200 and 400?

How do you hand out barrels in a 1/2 game with buyins of 200 and 400?
If I playing 1/2 200 buyin I give out to first few person

20 x $1
20 x $5

Then 1 x $5 and 3 x $25 to fill up the $200

400 buyin

20 x $1
40 x $5

And 1 x $5 + 7 x $25 to fill up the $400

And enough $1 is in play, i just give the rest of the guys and rebuy in $5 and $25, thus the barrels

Last edited:
If I am reading this correct, I think this calculation was specific to the chips this person had on page 2. I think this would have a different outcome if someone put in their own sets.

1666791006778.png

I won't download this app because I am chicken, but it would be interesting to see what it spits out for maybe a more balanced small stakes set:

0.25 X 200
$1.00 X 200
$5.00 X 100
$25.00 X 100

If I am reading this correct, I think this calculation was specific to the chips this person had on page 2. I think this would have a different outcome if someone put in their own sets.

View attachment 1013324
Creator of the code here! That's correct, the code takes into account the number of chips at your disposal to maximize the total number of chips each person has in front of them to play with. For people who don't have thousands upon thousands of chips to distribute for 8 player games

I won't download this app because I am chicken, but it would be interesting to see what it spits out for maybe a more balanced small stakes set:

0.25 X 200
$1.00 X 200
$5.00 X 100
$25.00 X 100
Creator here! I saw your comment and thought I'd go ahead and give you a reply so you can see an example of how it works. As others have pointed out, the code is not made to round chip numbers to the nearest roll of chips, but rather, to optimize the number of chips in front of each player to play with. Anyway, here is the breakdown for such a chip set with 4, 5, 6, and 7 players as its given in the code

Attachments

• IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4914.jpg
    IMG_4914.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4916.jpg
    IMG_4916.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4917.jpg
    IMG_4917.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 48
Welcome!​

Typically break downs are calculated on bank needs, which are based on buy-ins and big blinds as you note, but ... around here, we hate efficiency when it means less chips on the table ;)

Your buy in for 100 with a big blind of .5 - I would never give out 28 x .25, thats way too much, maybe 20, but 9 to 12 would be more realistic. 20 x 1, 15 x 5s

Welcome!​

Typically break downs are calculated on bank needs, which are based on buy-ins and big blinds as you note, but ... around here, we hate efficiency when it means less chips on the table ;)

Your buy in for 100 with a big blind of .5 - I would never give out 28 x .25, thats way too much, maybe 20, but 9 to 12 would be more realistic. 20 x 1, 15 x 5s
Completely understand. Most of the guys I play with just like to have a lot of chips in front of them to play with and make them feel like they’re high rollers, but the 20 chip limit per denomination would be a very reasonable parameter to add in there. Thanks for the feedback :)

0.25 X 200
$1.00 X 200
$5.00 X 100
$25.00 X 100

I absolutely love your name and avatar. Weekend at Bernies always cracks me up

Got a buddy who dressed as Bernie from the 2nd film for Halloween and did the crazy voodoo walk

Uh, I give out either 2 or 4 barrels of $5s?
Fair enough, assuming enough 5s in the set and you already have $1s on the table. Do you give the first player a rack or $1s? I still prefer to give out some 25s on the bigger buyins though, but that's optional I guess.

If I playing 1/2 200 buyin I give out to first few person

20 x $1
20 x $5

Then 1 x $5 and 3 x $25 to fill up the $200

400 buyin

20 x $1
40 x $5

And 1 x $5 + 7 x $25 to fill up the $400

And enough $1 is in play, i just give the rest of the guys and rebuy in $5 and $25, thus the barrels
My point was that this is not full barrels or even numbers.

20/21/3 or 20/41/7 is odd numbers just like 10/13/5 is imo. I usually give out 20/18/4 for 200 in chips, plus extra barrels of fives/4x 25s for every addition hundred.

However I do think the option listed in the OP is short on both 1s and 5s though.

Fair enough, assuming enough 5s in the set and you already have $1s on the table. Do you give the first player a rack or $1s? I still prefer to give out some 25s on the bigger buyins though, but that's optional I guess.
I don't use $.25 in my $1/$1 game and with a $200-$400 buy-in I'd question the use of fracs in general.

My first buy-in round I do give $180 in $5s and $20 in $1 and any addon or rebuy is strictly in $5. After four racks are in play I move to $25s. If both racks of those get in play, I use $100s. Doesn't happen often at my regular game, but we will at times see a few $100s in play.

I absolutely love your name and avatar. Weekend at Bernies always cracks me up

Got a buddy who dressed as Bernie from the 2nd film for Halloween and did the crazy voodoo walk

Haha, thanks. Weekend at Bernies is one of those 80's/90's cult movies that either you love it or hate it. I think it has some of the best one liners.

My point was that this is not full barrels or even numbers.
This is what it mean by handing out in barrel

For example, Buyin 200

Step 1 cut out 2 barrel of $5
Step 2 take out 4 $5 and cut out 1 barrel of $1

Also Rebuy will be in Barrel after enough $1 is in play like I previously mentioned

I usually give out 20/18/4 for 200 in chips, plus extra barrels of fives/4x 25s
That is basically what you are doing too except you bank will be short of $10 per person if you giving out extra $10 each time thou

Didn't want to make this into an argument , you are free to do whatever you like. So I going to agree to disagree

This is what it mean by handing out in barrel

For example, Buyin 200

Step 1 cut out 2 barrel of $5
Step 2 take out 4 $5 and cut out 1 barrel of $1

Also Rebuy will be in Barrel after enough $1 is in play like I previously mentioned

That is basically what you are doing too except you bank will be short of $10 per person if you giving out extra $10 each time thou

Didn't want to make this into an argument , you are free to do whatever you like. So I going to agree to disagree
lol, meant 16 $5s of course!

But yeah, it's whatever. We pretty much do the same. initial buyins with some $1s in there, and the rest of buyins/rebuys in 20x$5 or 4x $25 per hundred. However I still wouldn't call it giving out barrels if I give out 20/36/8 for example for a 400 buyin.

I don't use $.25 in my $1/$1 game and with a $200-$400 buy-in I'd question the use of fracs in general.

My first buy-in round I do give $180 in $5s and $20 in $1 and any addon or rebuy is strictly in $5. After four racks are in play I move to $25s. If both racks of those get in play, I use $100s. Doesn't happen often at my regular game, but we will at times see a few $100s in play.
Yeah, of course no fracs for 1/1 or 1/2. When I wrote 25s, I was refering to $25 chips. On a buyin or rebuy of 400 I prefer to have some $25s in there as well, not only $5s (assuming already enough $1s on the table), but thats optional I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom