Recommend King-Size Mattress - No Pillow Tops Please! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Wife and I are looking into getting a new mattress. Not really liking the long-term durability of the pillow-top we have now and it's not one you can flip over, just side to side.

Anyone have recommendations? A long time ago we had a Stearns & Foster that was fantastic, but they were bought out by Sealy I think so not sure that they're of the same quality anymore.

We prefer medium-firm or firm

I weigh 100% more than my wife :eek:. And we've had a couple of different mattresses, including S&F.

We recently upsized to a king size because of the excessive pet situation that sleep on the bed.

We landed on Avocado mattresses out of California. Best nights sleep EVER for both of us. Interesting company backstory and were competitive for the quality/ pricing.
Its a hybrid coil/ natural latex mattress. We also got the topper after about 2 weeks. The base mattress was a little too firm/ medium. With the topper its perfect.

Good luck !

i dont think so

not sure

My wife and I just got the Tempurpedic Contour Luxe Breeze in a king. It was just under $6000 but they did interest free financing for 60 months, so it costs us $93/month and the warranty is awesome.

Honestly, I was blown away at the cost, but coming from a Stearns and Foster that sagged and got uncomfortable, I can say I'm a convert. I'm really heavy and sleep very warm. However, the firmness of the mattress and the cooling technology make it supportive and comfortable.

I'd recommend if you are able to open a line of credit (Wells Fargo credit card). Can't beat interest free and paying $0 upfront, as it is absolutely worth $3/night when you know it is warrantied well past the time to pay if off.

https://sleepopolis.com/

We have:
Nest Bedding Alexander: Traditional Memory foam with the hard at first feeling, then you sink in and it perfectly matches your body. This is great if you don't move a lot in your sleep, but not so great if you do.

Casper: Not quite as hugging as the nest but you dont sink in as much either. Its much better if you like memory foam but move a bit when you sleep.

Purple: This is such a weird one, I wanted to hate it but it has such a great firm/soft balance for me. Also it immediately hugs you with its weird material. My favorite so far since i tend to move a bunch in my sleep.

All of the mattresses are decently priced, deliver for free and offer long trials.

Personally i like all of the online options since I cant really stand beds with springs.

I have slept on a king size Sleep Number mattress for the last ten years. It’s very comfortable and you can adjust the firmness on either side of the bed to your own preference. Mine has the pillow top but they do make them without. Ive also owned a Tempurpedic mattress as @MegaTon44 described. Both mattresses are excellent for a great nights sleep. They are on the pricey side but are warrentied for many years of comfort. Highly recommend either.

We have a high quality $347 Simmons Beauty Rest. Its a 100% non-hybrid steel coil mattress. Depending on how you are laying, you can feel them sticking in your back. It's like built in acupuncture. It also has the perfect amount of sag for my scoliosis. I highly recommend you test one out in the store.

We've had a Casper for a few years now and love it. I didn't think I would like memory foam, but it's very comfortable. I thought I would stick to it on muggy FL nights, but I was just fine. Very low risk with the guarantee.

$2000 Tempurpedic and it's been the most comfortable/best sleep we've ever had. Since we bought it about 6 months ago, I've been recommending it to all my friends. Only to find out 75% of them already have one and also love it.

Wife and I got medium. I'm 200lbs, she's less. Most of my buddies got firm as they are 300-350lbs. No ragrets.

Bought a queen sized Tempur-Pedic for $1200 in 2003. Best mattress I've ever slept on. Can't flip it, though. It's got asymmetric layers (like all memory foams?). I still love it. If I had to buy one now, I'd definitely go with memory foam, probably trying something inexpensive but highly rated from Amazon, because I can't afford the Cadillac of mattresses anymore.

I like the reviews here.

Another vote for the sleep number mattress. The ability to change the firmness at the touch of a button is awesome. And it's super comfortable. We got one without the pillow top. My wife prefers to sleep on clouds and I prefer to sleep on concrete. It's the best of both worlds.

I used to have a temperpedic but got rid of it because it eventually sagged and I slept too hot on it. Even though they claim to be more breathable than cheaper memory foam mattresses, I still had issues with being too hot.

Bought a queen sized Tempur-Pedic for $1200 in 2003. Best mattress I've ever slept on. Can't flip it, though. It's got asymmetric layers (like all memory foams?). I still love it. If I had to buy one now, I'd definitely go with memory foam, probably trying something inexpensive but highly rated from Amazon, because I can't afford the Cadillac of mattresses anymore.

I like the reviews here.

Looks like the Leesa or Casper would be good fits. I tend to go to sleep on my stomach, but sometimes wake up and I'm on my back.

Beauty Rest Black.
Best bed ever.

Have tried memory foams, have tried other mattresses, and we keep going back to the black. Upgraded from a queen BRB mattress (after 8 years on it) to a king sized. The cost was high ($2000), so we first tried out a number of other mattresses and nothing compared to a BRB. We dont shrimp on mattresses after realizing 1/4 -1/3 of our lives are spent in bed, so why get an inferior product. I also have some lower back issues, and I sleep like a baby on the BRB.

I've got a 12" Spa Sensations memory foam mattress that I bought online in 2013 for about $450 (Cal King). I don't think it's any better or worse than brand-name memory foam mattresses like Casper, but it was considerably cheaper.

Memory foam is something that you should, if possible, sleep on for a night or two before buying. Some people love it and some hate it. My wife and I have been pretty happy with it; it's got the right amount of firmness and support for us, it can be a bit tricky to move around on, and it gets a little warm for me (we have the non-gel variety).

Also, I think in the last year the top layer of foam has gotten a tad soft, but this isn't surprising since five years is a pretty typical lifespan for a memory foam mattress. I plan to replace this one soon with something very similar, but this time I will pay a little extra for the gel-infused foam so that it stays cooler.

I also have some lower back issues, and I sleep like a baby on the BRB.

I started experiencing lower back issues, back in 2003. Finally replaced my 16 year old Beautyrest with a Temper-Pedic memory foam. Problem solved. Not sure if it was getting rid of an old mattress or switching to the memory foam that did the trick. Probably the former, as I didn't have any complaints with the BR for years. It ended up being a bit lumpy at the end, though. My Tempur-Pedic has not deteriorated, and has outlasted its 15-year warranty (just barely, though, I should check it. It'll probably start disintegrating shortly).

I have a tempurpedic mattress and ended up ordering a couple memory foams off Amazon for spare bedrooms. The memory foam off of Amazon was our preference. We moved the tempurpedics to our guest bedrooms. I've referred a couple friends and they were happy they went this route for the price savings vs quality. I recommend 10 or 12 inch personally.

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCL3JA/ref=twister_B0793K8Y25?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Was just looking at this, the price is certainly attractive. How long have you had it and how is it holding up?

We've had ours for around 3 years and still going strong. I purchased with a new girlfriend and I will say the activity levels have settled a bit in those three years... so it doesn't carry strong luck in that wheelhouse :)

My advice is to beware of the “bed in a box” mattresses like Ghost or Purple. I’ve found that these mattresses are awesome for the first year, then the materials start breaking in and the matress ends up sagging and getting much too soft.

I now have an extra-firm Beautyrest Platinum king. It was just a little firm when new, but now it has broken in it’s perfect.

I’ve also ordered the Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress from Amazon for a guest room and was pleasantly surprised!

I have a tempurpedic mattress and ended up ordering a couple memory foams off Amazon for spare bedrooms. The memory foam off of Amazon was our preference. We moved the tempurpedics to our guest bedrooms. I've referred a couple friends and they were happy they went this route for the price savings vs quality. I recommend 10 or 12 inch personally.

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCL3JA/ref=twister_B0793K8Y25?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We wound up ordering the 12 inch, shipping issue caused them to send a 2nd mattress so we wound up getting 2 for the price of 1

Just got it setup today, but I'm at SQM

My wife already tested it and loved it

Beauty Rest Black.
Best bed ever.

Have tried memory foams, have tried other mattresses, and we keep going back to the black. Upgraded from a queen BRB mattress (after 8 years on it) to a king sized. The cost was high ($2000), so we first tried out a number of other mattresses and nothing compared to a BRB. We dont shrimp on mattresses after realizing 1/4 -1/3 of our lives are spent in bed, so why get an inferior product. I also have some lower back issues, and I sleep like a baby on the BRB.

I also love Simons Beauty Rest Black. My wife and I have a split king (two XL Twins) and my side is the Beauty Rest Black and it's wonderful!

For anyone considering the online mattresses, we've been sleeping on a Tuft and Needle for over three years and love it. It's a bit firmer than the others I've sampled.

Since I don't take up as much room as Anthony, and my wife is only 5'9", ours is only a queen, but still...

Queen size means more room for chips in the bedroom!

We wound up ordering the 12 inch, shipping issue caused them to send a 2nd mattress so we wound up getting 2 for the price of 1

Just got it setup today, but I'm at SQM

My wife already tested it and loved it
That's great! Glad that somebody else was able to get the good deal. So now.... take all SQM money and lay on the new mattress with the money around you like @Mr Tree 's profile picture.

Mr tree already donated his first buyin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom