Tourney Re-buy or Not Re-buy (1 Viewer)

This is a forum and some people read these posts to learn. .../snip/... A common misconception is that e.g. "If we double the stack sizes, the tourney length doubles". This isn't true..../snip/... Similarly, adding 33% to the stacks will not lengthen the tournament by 33%, but maybe by a level. Calculate it or experience it, the results will be the same.
Both of @Mr Winberg's claims above are true, provided the following disclaimer is used with the stack size changes: "... provided all other variables remain the same...", and are certainly backed up by both calculations and real-world tournament data (compiled by myself and many others). The correlation of stack size (or total chips in play) to event length is not linear, regardless of player styles.

But the bottom (and marvelously interesting) line here is that there are multiple ways to skin a tournament cat to accomplish many differing goals (including ways to make them appealing to primarily cash game players, for you tourney naysayers).

Just like there are many types of horrible tourney structures, there are many types of excellent tourney structures that produce the desired length / play / goals of each one.

A reason to not have rebuys:

I used to try various rebuy variants. Then I tried to get people to play cash. I started with a few cashgame nights, then tried to get people to play cash after tourneys. It failed because once people got knocked out (after rebuys etc) some went home and some wanted to wait for more players (but got fed up waiting and went home, thus repeating the vicious cycle).

So I switched to freezouts, and voilà! The post tourney cashgame flourished!

Now that we have a strong cash game culture where nearly everyone wants to play cash, I have started dabbling with rebuys again. Most tourneys are freezouts though, because they are more fun (subjectively) plus the "cooler protection" etc arguments aren't as important when a cash game is waiting.
This is the way! Get the damn tournaments over and get on to the cash games.

I'm really starting to get bored with tournaments. One of three things can happen. I get knocked out early, so entry was a waste of money and I hardly got to play. I get knocked out late, but out of the money, so I got to play a lot, but I didn't get anything from it. Or I finish in the money. Which is good, but only seems to happen about one out of every 6-8 tournaments I play in. So honestly, the best tournament are the cheapest ones. Play aggressive, then once I bust out, on to the cash game. Unless I bust out too early, then I've gotta wait a long time for other players for the cash game.

So tournaments are mostly bad. Just play cash games...

This is the way! Get the damn tournaments over and get on to the cash games.

I'm really starting to get bored with tournaments. One of three things can happen. I get knocked out early, so entry was a waste of money and I hardly got to play. I get knocked out late, but out of the money, so I got to play a lot, but I didn't get anything from it. Or I finish in the money. Which is good, but only seems to happen about one out of every 6-8 tournaments I play in. So honestly, the best tournament are the cheapest ones. Play aggressive, then once I bust out, on to the cash game. Unless I bust out too early, then I've gotta wait a long time for other players for the cash game.

So tournaments are mostly bad. Just play cash games...
I’m not fond of things I’m bad at either. But I try to either get better or quit doing them. But I don’t project my weaknesses on others or their activities just because of my faults that I refuse to improve. Crapping on others activities because you are bad at them is just bad form IMHO. I don’t play football because I’m not good at it, but I don’t go around to sport bars proclaiming that football is stupid and we should watch chess instead. I just don’t go to the sports bars and instead let the sports people enjoy their time.

Unless I bust out too early, then I've gotta wait a long time for other players for the cash game.
A wonderful thing happened last tourney. 24 max (3 tables of 8) and at the day of the tournament there were 26 on the list. I informed the last 2 that I will have a small table (60×120 cm, that's about 2.5x1.25 freedom eagles for you Americans) where they can start the cash game if they still want to come, but I didn't expect them to show up. But show up they did! They weren't keen on heads-up play, so they waited. Every now and then there's a tourney where it takes a long time for eliminations, even though it's a freezout. The shorty keeps winning the flips. This tourney was like that, first elimination after over two hours!

When breaking the first table (down to 16 players), all but one of the eliminated players stayed for cash, so we had at most 8(!) players jammed around that tiny table! I wish I had taken a pic! If there's a will, there's a way.

Speaking of will, the two players who didn't make the tourney stayed and played cash till we broke it up at 4:30am. Worth the 2h wait, I'd say!

Man, now I want to go to a sports bar and ask they put the Aronian-Nakamura chess match on during Sunday afternoon football. :wtf:
Oh C'MON, REF!? That was an illegal castling!! The king had already moved! [chugs beer] And the rook was CLEARLY OFFSIDE!!!

I’m not fond of things I’m bad at either. But I try to either get better or quit doing them. But I don’t project my weaknesses on others or their activities just because of my faults that I refuse to improve. Crapping on others activities because you are bad at them is just bad form IMHO. I don’t play football because I’m not good at it, but I don’t go around to sport bars proclaiming that football is stupid and we should watch chess instead. I just don’t go to the sports bars and instead let the sports people enjoy their time.
With over 7,000 posts, I would think that you are not new to this internet forum concept. But maybe I'm wrong... :unsure:

Not everything posted on PCF is intended to be taken seriously.

With over 7,000 posts, I would think that you are not new to this internet forum concept. But maybe I'm wrong... :unsure:

Not everything posted on PCF is intended to be taken seriously.
Exactly. I’ll cut you some slack since you seem to be new around here. Try laughing after everything I say instead of assuming it’s serious. Really try that with most people you meet on the internet, you may start to have a better experience.

Exactly. I’ll cut you some slack since you seem to be new around here. Try laughing after everything I say instead of assuming it’s serious. Really try that with most people you meet on the internet, you may start to have a better experience.
Don't lose any sleep worrying about me. I laugh at dozens of posts a day here. Usually just the ones that are actually funny though...

Don't lose any sleep worrying about me. I laugh at dozens of posts a day here. Usually just the ones that are actually funny though...
Since you feel a need to make this thread about you, how do you feel about rebuys or not?
I mean that’s what the thread was about before your hilarious opinion on cash vs tournament.
But if you are bored with this topic just tell the OP to change it to “topics that interest you” because that’s what really matters.

LOL

12765_1.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom