Raised Rail Material

ruskba

Flush
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what materials people use to cover the raised portion of raised rails when using risers. There’s the obvious ones like diffusers, but what types of wood? Veneer? There’s some pics of people bending wood to fit, but again not sure what people are starting out with. And are seams very obvious?

About to get started on a raised rail for a 54” round table I picked up a while ago. Don’t want lights, just something that looks sharp but subtle.

stevea

Two Pair
Reaction score
Edge banding is good. You can get it finished or unfinished. I found some brushed aluminum edge banding that looks great and wasn’t hard to work with. I also used some 3/4” wood trim with a design carved in it from Home Depot on one table and it turned out pretty good. Probably wouldn’t use it again though.

Attachments

stevea

Two Pair
Reaction score
If you have a table saw you could cut a thin 1/4” piece of red oak as tall as you want it and bend it around and finish nail or glue it to the rail spacers. They might even sell them in the already cut that way

Irish

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about edge banding as well, but is it feasible when the riser is not a solid piece? Planning to do something like this with a bunch of small blocks spaced out.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/raised-rail-build-diagram-with-questions.29998/post-554345
No, you'd need a solid piece for edge banding.

You could also either steam bend or kerf cut a solid piece of wood trim. It can be a little tricky, and plan on loosing a piece or two but it works. Here's one I did with cherry (also added a decorative inlay):

IMG_6534.jpg
IMG_6574.jpg
IMG_6580.jpg
IMG_6652.jpg
IMG_6814.jpg

DoubleEagle

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Daddy N

Pair
Reaction score
I notice on most raised rail the padding from the rail overhangs the raised rail. Has anyone found it annoying when pulling chips into stacks in front of them? Has anyone made the foam rail flush on the inside?

yone

Two Pair
Supporting Member
Reaction score

markleteenie

Flush
Reaction score
I notice on most raised rail the padding from the rail overhangs the raised rail. Has anyone found it annoying when pulling chips into stacks in front of them? Has anyone made the foam rail flush on the inside?
That is interesting to me too, why does it usually overhang?

Also, is there a reason why you couldn't just make the covered rail go all the way to the bottom? To meet the felt?

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ruskba

Flush
Reaction score
That is interesting to me too, why does it usually overhang?

Also, is there a reason why you couldn't just make the covered rail go all the way to the bottom? To meet the felt?
I think it’s just cosmetic. But I did my last rail essentially like you’re asking. I wanted raised but didn’t want to deal with the space, so I just doubled the wood for the rail and upholstered like normal. It’s nice and big a comfy looking. But you probably don’t realize it’s “raised” because the space isn’t there. Even though the height would be the same.

C52CFEEE-8B00-4BD5-813F-14E1457DD1E2.jpeg

Top Bottom