Raised Rail Build - diagram with questions (1 Viewer)

FDLmold

Royal Flush
Reaction score
rail diagram.png

So I have a double pedestal. Going to make a 7'x4' table, approximately, this summer. I'm planning ahead.

The table will have a raised rail. How much is the question. Let's use 3" for now. It may be that, or something else.

I'm familiar how to raise the rail and screw in the wood pieces every few inches all the way around the table.

So where do you buy the "strip" that goes around the inner perimeter of the playing surface? A 3" raised rail will need a what, thin 3 inch by 22 foot strip going around the inside? Is it veneer? Custom or stock printed something? I'm confused here.

Then there is the outside. The vertical surface on the outside of the rail, about 4 inches high. What do people do here? I can imagine several things.

I've not much to say but I think 3" is really high for a raised rail. @T_Chan advised for my build to go with a 3/4" raised rail and I'm very happy with it. Comfortable for all my players.

That is pretty typical for board game tables. This will be used for board games as much as poker. Here's a typical board game table. I don't plan on a topper.

board game table.png

Yeah, I'd want no more than 1.5" raised rail, and would happily settle for just 1". Deeper ones make the table seem like a pit, and are not particularly comfortable.

Going to make a 7'x4' table
Great size - I love seven footers, although I'd recommend that you go with 84"x42" (outer rail dimensions), to make it a bit easier to reach the middle. Doesn't give up much linear seating area, but is a lot more comfortable to play on.

So where do you buy the "strip" that goes around the inner perimeter of the playing surface?
Depends on whether or not it is lighted. 1/8" opaque plastic if so, or a variety of substances can be used if not. Hobby shops have a ton of stuff, worth a browsing trip for ideas.

There are many different ways to accomplish a raised rail. I will try to shed some light only referring to the way I have made my tables. When i first started searching for ways to construct a raised rail i looked endlessly for the details of how things were actually done, and found very little details. Asking specific people for help worked well for me. There are a lot of smart creative guys on here and I asked many of them. T_Chan was helpful in every way and still is to this day on anything I ask.

So where do you buy the "strip" that goes around the inner perimeter of the playing surface? Depends on what you want to use. T_Chan sells the suited aluminum diffusers in 8' lengths. He can make them whatever height you want, although 3" is extreme you would have to consult him to see if that is possible. Any other material can be used, all it has to be is flexible enough to bend the curve. I have also used clear acrylic painted on the back side to match the color I want.
I'll use 2 different tables below as examples. Here is the suited diffuser in a 1" raised rail and acrylic in a 3/4" raised rail. I would not want to play on anything taller than 1".

20180512_205820366_iOS.jpg 20170918_011332675_iOS.jpg

A 3" raised rail will need a what, thin 3 inch by 22 foot strip going around the inside? Is it veneer? Custom or stock printed something? I'm confused here. Again, depends on the construction of the table. My design has a groove where the insert fits into. I have seen other tables where the diffuser is attached to the rail, so it depends on how your table is made, but yes - a thin piece of material the height of your raised rail.

20180512_192027336_iOS.jpg 20170918_005737073_iOS.jpg

Then there is the outside. The vertical surface on the outside of the rail, about 4 inches high. What do people do here? I can imagine several things. Again, depending on the construction of the table - my table has a base piece which has the outer edge exposed. I edge band it with black melamine and install nails heads, it can be finished however you want. On top of that the rail sits. The rail height will depend on your raised height and the entire outer rail is foamed and vinyled. So, the larger your raised rail the taller this outer rail will be. Hope this makes sense, here are some pics to try and help explain.

Very bottom "base" layer
20170529_001452502_iOS.jpg

Rail construction
20170503_022506731_iOS.jpg

Rail Assembly upside down, showing how everything is foamed and then upholstered.
20170903_193549831_iOS.jpg

I hope this helps.

bsdunbar1, are those ^^cupholders ^^ the jumbo dual-size ones, or are they the deeper marine ones?
Was thinking about the Lars modified ones, but the marine ones appear deeper than the jumbo dual size.

bsdunbar1, are those ^^cupholders ^^ the jumbo dual-size ones, or are they the deeper marine ones?
Was thinking about the Lars modified ones, but the marine ones appear deeper than the jumbo dual size.

They are the marine application, dual stage ones. The jumbo ones are nice, but I prefer the dual stages every time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom