Raffles are no longer permitted (1 Viewer)

What you do in private is none of my business. :x
PCF cannot condone the listing of Raffles.
But by 'raffles' you mean sales of tickets decided by a random number, or does it also mean raffle-like contests?

Not trying to be a smart ass. Trying to stay out of trouble.

I would assume as soon as a two-way exchange of money or goods in general is involved.
Else free giveaways would be a thing of the past as well. Which is something I can't believe would ever be outlawed.

while fun I think often the raffles were a bad deal value wise. The idea of owning a primo set way out of your budget was always enticing.

while fun I think often the raffles were a bad deal value wise. The idea of owning a primo set way out of your budget was always enticing.

They were usually great for the sellers though, some serious profits being made! I also feel like they artificially increased the value of some chips/sets because sellers knew they could get much more money with a raffle as compared to a sale. The market for a sale was maybe 5-10 people, whereas with a raffle there may have been 50+ people who would take the gamble for a small amount of money.

And both may be true. My point being, raffles have been around here for so long and there never was a problem. Now it suddenly is. Which makes me think a sore loser sent some shysters to put an end to it, "or else...".

I don't believe this is correct, I'm pretty sure that it's purely to protect PCF from possible legal trouble. I can't see @Tommy caving to the wishes of one grumpy member

I like it. I think we will see some market corrections slowly happen. A lot sets will go unsold and either put back into storage or the prices drop if seller really needs the cash.

We will most likely see sets selling much cheaper now as individuals only have so much spending money to use for their 3rd, 4th or 5th sets, especially for average run of the mill type sets.

Or we will see large sets broken down and sold by the rack a lot more to make sale prices more affordable across more people.

I was hoping for another Chanman poker table raffle. Does this ban include marketplace business raffles too?

Reactions: ovo
Good riddance IMO. And I won one. It’ll keep me away from stuff I shouldn’t be doing.

Long run -EV activity. Don’t get me wrong, I am believer of people doing whatever floats their boat. But it was a way for me to torch $50-$100 with less than worth it odds.

Probably a good idea for the forum considering the grey area they exist in. Who knows, the way things go around here it wouldn't be surprising if an "unknown source" made an idol threat???? Whatever happened it makes good sense to protect the forum & the participants.

They might have been -ev but they were always a bit of fun though. and yes I've won one before.

I like it. I think we will see some market corrections slowly happen. A lot sets will go unsold and either put back into storage or the prices drop if seller really needs the cash.

We will most likely see sets selling much cheaper now as individuals only have so much spending money to use for their 3rd, 4th or 5th sets, especially for average run of the mill type sets.

Or we will see large sets broken down and sold by the rack a lot more to make sale prices more affordable across more people.

I didnt think of that. The idea of more splits sounds great since I dont usually have liquidity for buying big sets.

Just to stop any conspiracy theories, no one person or event caused this announcement today. The decision to no longer permit raffles is not only in the best interest of PCF, but also the members conducting the raffles, the participants, and winners.

Does this ban include marketplace business raffles too?
Unfortunately it does. Any raffle that is pay to play is no longer permitted.

Good riddance IMO. And I won one. It’ll keep me away from stuff I shouldn’t be doing.

Long run -EV activity. Don’t get me wrong, I am believer of people doing whatever floats their boat. But it was a way for me to torch $50-$100 with less than worth it odds.

This tendency should get you invited to home games.

So in a related vein, to be sure:

Is it safe to assume that the "lottery sale" -- i.e., a lottery to determine who from among a group of willing buyers gets to purchase something -- is still allowed?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Glad to see this. Almost posted a rant about raffles happening in perpetuity..... Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....Price lowered.... Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....Only to be reraffled in perpetuity.....

wow, that's interesting . I kind of liked raffles, but I saw how the pricing was getting out of hand, so I'm fine with it

As a winner of two big raffles of nice sets and I was just about to attempt running my own raffle, I'm kinda disappointed. But I can see the points made against them and can see the potential legal issues. Oh well, thems is the rules now. It was fun while it lasted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom