What rules do you prefer for the stand up game? (3 Viewers)

ArielVer18

Flush
Reaction score
I’m going to start by saying I don’t like this side game. It’s unnecessarily complex, but isn’t immediately obvious. However, it’s trending due to poker streams so home game players enthusiastically want to play.

For those who don’t know, the stand-up game starts with every player standing up. A player may sit back down when they win a whole pot outright (chops do not qualify). The last player standing must pay each of the other player at the table a predetermined bounty (i.e. 5 big blinds each). It’s 2023 so to avoid appearing ableist, a marker/button/lammer is usually used as an alternative to physically standing.

There’s some variations, such as must win two pots to “sit down,” but the overall idea is last person standing pays.

What happens if a player got felted and no longer want to reload? What if a player still has chips and simply no longer want to continue playing poker? If the remaining two players standing are dating each other and wish to chop, would you allow it? If the table isn’t full, will you allow a new player to sit down in the middle of the stand up game?

I think this game should be played until the end with no buyout penalty or equity chops allowed. Forfeiting means losing the entire amount. Some of my players think this is unnecessarily harsh, so I’m curious what PCF thinks.

we have modified the stand up game to make it better. See previous thread.
Post in thread 'Nit Buttons - Variation of the stand up game'
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...tion-of-the-stand-up-game.101815/post-2128181.

I also had custom pucks made……
IMG_6046.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg

As a 2 time member of the broken femur club, I can't commit to standing for an excessive amount. We'll do the "nit game" with pucks.
One rule is you must show your hand to get a button, it's caught me a couple times.

Honestly… I did not know it, but the stand up game sounds like something that sits between a team-building exercise invented by an insufferable middle manager and a boring drinking game minus the drinking. Call me a grumpy party pooper, but I want to play poker, not indulge in some "fun activity".

@Goldfish proposed variation sounds great though. All the action and change in strategy minus the circus.

I’m going to start by saying I don’t like this side game. It’s unnecessarily complex, but isn’t immediately obvious. However, it’s trending due to poker streams so home game players enthusiastically want to play.

For those who don’t know, the stand-up game starts with every player standing up. A player may sit back down when they win a whole pot outright (chops do not qualify). The last player standing must pay each of the other player at the table a predetermined bounty (i.e. 5 big blinds each). It’s 2023 so to avoid appearing ableist, a marker/button/lammer is usually used as an alternative to physically standing.

There’s some variations, such as must win two pots to “sit down,” but the overall idea is last person standing pays.

What happens if a player got felted and no longer want to reload? What if a player still has chips and simply no longer want to continue playing poker? If the remaining two players standing are dating each other and wish to chop, would you allow it? If the table isn’t full, will you allow a new player to sit down in the middle of the stand up game?

I think this game should be played until the end with no buyout penalty or equity chops allowed. Forfeiting means losing the entire amount. Some of my players think this is unnecessarily harsh, so I’m curious what PCF thinks.

Still owe money if you go bust - this rule is also used in the streamed games. Can't quit game, if you do, pay the bounty. New player joins into the stand up game. At our game, anyone who reminds the player to flip their cards pays whole table 1BB - helps speed up the game.

I don't hate the stand up/nit game and I'd be fine with playing it. But with that being said, I'd probably never introduce it to my home game unless others brought it up that they want to play it.

What happens if a player got felted and no longer want to reload?
You ~could~ avoid this situation by doing something like everyone pays upfront and gets back their amount + the losers amount split amongst the group. OR have a rule where if you're playing you cannot all in the amount you might need to pay everyone. Unless you have plans to reload.

Neither option are really good. I think it would just be better to make sure that everyone playing understand that they'll be expected to pay even if felted.

What if a player still has chips and simply no longer want to continue playing poker?
If they are still standing/still have their nit button then they lose the game and have to pay. If they've already sat down/lost their nit button then they're forfeiting their winnings

If the remaining two players standing are dating each other and wish to chop, would you allow it?
Only if it's allow for any amount of players to chop the loses. I'd say no though. Part of the excitement of this game is when it's down to the last 2-3 people and they're fighting each other and making crazier plays in desperation. Allowing chops kind of defeats the purpose of the game.

If the table isn’t full, will you allow a new player to sit down in the middle of the stand up game?
I'd say that's fine. Either 1 of 2 things can happen:
1.) If everyone is okay with it, they can join the game late (This means the payout will be greater for the loser, but the new player puts themselve at a disadvantage if others are already "safe")
2.) If they don't want to join in late, or others aren't okay with them joining late, then just let them play poker and ignore the game for that person. They cannot win/lose money from the standup/nit game.

2.) If they don't want to join in late, or others aren't okay with them joining late, then just let them play poker and ignore the game for that person. They cannot win/lose money from the standup/nit game.
I'm nit picking here, but if stand-up game participants aren't okay with a new player joining the stand-up game late, then everyone needs to confirm they understand the new player will still benefit from the extra action if they allow the new player to join the poker table.

What rules do you prefer for the stand up game?​

I prefer not to play it. If it gets called wherever I am playing. I will probably take a break and have a bourbon or three.

What rules do you prefer for the stand up game?​

I prefer not to play it. If it gets called wherever I am playing. I will probably take a break and have a bourbon or three.
Normally, every player would need to agree to play the game.

My group quite likes it. It juices up the action a bit and leads to fun angles. We’re playing for small dollars so the action is fun. I don’t like it as much at bigger games but that’s cause I often run bad during it lol!

I think the rules are quite vague and need a lot of consensus before starting. That being said, I feel like some of the comments here are focusing on the wrong thing. The standing up part isn’t really what’s important, nor in my opinion, is the loser paying out, not directly. It’s the way that it widens peoples ranges and effectively increases the stakes in pots with multiple standers once several others are safe.

I think it’s that part which is a great fit at some games and worse at others.

My group quite likes it. It juices up the action a bit and leads to fun angles. We’re playing for small dollars so the action is fun. I don’t like it as much at bigger games but that’s cause I often run bad during it lol!

I think the rules are quite vague and need a lot of consensus before starting. That being said, I feel like some of the comments here are focusing on the wrong thing. The standing up part isn’t really what’s important, nor in my opinion, is the loser paying out, not directly. It’s the way that it widens peoples ranges and effectively increases the stakes in pots with multiple standers once several others are safe.

I think it’s that part which is a great fit at some games and worse at others.

We play circus exclusively. Additional action isn't necessary. Especially when Fran is in attendance.

In our game you have to pay if you bust, or you're not invited back. We play with nit chips, and if you fail to show your hand or relinquish your nit chip you're still in the game. If someone else reminds you to put in your nit chip or show your hand, they have to pay everyone including the dealer half penalty, and they get the nit chip of the person they tried to help. It's glorious.

In our game you have to pay if you bust, or you're not invited back. We play with nit chips, and if you fail to show your hand or relinquish your nit chip you're still in the game. If someone else reminds you to put in your nit chip or show your hand, they have to pay everyone including the dealer half penalty, and they get the nit chip of the person they tried to help. It's glorious.
Wow, that's insanely punishing for the reminder... I love it

Case in point. The guy to the left ofnthe dealer just went all.in pre flop and won. Didn't show his cards, and kept his chip. Then he did it again. Look at the pain on his face...priceless.

Attachments

• 20231104_020316.jpg
    20231104_020316.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 43

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom