QQ vs lag chip-leader (1 Viewer)

kirchhausen

Flush
Reaction score
$40 tournament, (35+$5 bounty). 20 players with 5 re-buys. This hand occurred soon after the re-buy period expired.
16 players left, average chip stack 15,625.

Blinds are 200/400

UTG min raises to 800. UTG (who has chip lead) is solid lag, who is good at perceiving other peoples's strengths.

Folds to hero in HJ with QcQs.

Stacks for Hero and UTG? (and blinds stacks may be useful too)

So I raised to 2200, villain calls. Pot is 5000. I have 13900 behind, villain covers.

Flop is 842 rainbow. Villain checks. I bet 3300, villain calls.

pot is now 11600, effective stacks are 10600.

Turn is Ah. villain checks. Do you bet again?

Probably should know this on the flop and because of that I'd have sized the flop bet about 4k. I'm moving in on turn A so he can't bluff me off if he's an aggressive player. If he's strictly fit/fold I'd consider check/fold but only if I have decent history and player is never out of line.

This is where I ask you to clarify "solid LAG." Villain is out of position, and so far, 2 of his 3 actions have been passive, representing the lion's share of all the chips bet.

Unless you've seen Villain take this kind of passive line before with marginal hands—and basically everything you beat at this point is marginal—this is a fairly alarming line for a LAG, especially in a freezeout. My tournament style leans heavily toward LAG, and I would never want to squander a chip lead flatting this much with a marginal hand in this spot when there's much easier money to be made.

I wouldn't even be too worried about the ace. I'd be more concerned about a set. Unless you have some response to the above comments that could change my mind, check back the turn and hope the river brings a queen. Fold any reasonable river bet. There are far better spots to move chips in tournament poker than this one.

This is where I ask you to clarify "solid LAG." Villain is out of position, and so far, 2 of his 3 actions have been passive, representing the lion's share of all the chips bet.

Unless you've seen Villain take this kind of passive line before with marginal hands—and basically everything you beat at this point is marginal—this is a fairly alarming line for a LAG, especially in a freezeout. My tournament style leans heavily toward LAG, and I would never want to squander a chip lead flatting this much with a marginal hand in this spot when there's much easier money to be made.

I wouldn't even be too worried about the ace. I'd be more concerned about a set. Unless you have some response to the above comments that could change my mind, check back the turn and hope the river brings a queen. Fold any reasonable river bet. There are far better spots to move chips in tournament poker than this one.
Villain has taken this line on me with a set before (in a cash game). i have much more cash game experience with him than tourney play. He seems much tighter in tourney than cash, I had not seen him get out of line.

Villain has taken this line on me with a set before (in a cash game). i have much more cash game experience with him than tourney play. He seems much tighter in tourney than cash, I had not seen him get out of line.

Leaning even more heavily toward checking behind, then, with the intention of spiking a queen on the river.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom