PAHWM: NLHE Live Cash Game .25/.50 (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Quick hand from last night with interest spot that I thought would generate good discussion. The outcome is interesting too, but it's more about the decision points/action leading up to it.

This is my normal monthly NHLE/PLO rotation cash game. This hand is NLHE. .25/.50 blinds.

SB - competent player whose leak is falling in love with pot odds, playing crappy cards, and floating things like bottom pair hands on the flop trying to catch trips/two pair - $150
BB - generally tight player who has just recently start loosening up in cash games. Usually has it in NHLE/new to PLO so overplays hands like two pair - $120
UTG - our maniac when he's drinking; at this point he's at moderate lubrication levels - $250
UTG + 1 - is @TX_Golf_N_Poker so I won't post my read here - $70
UTG + 2 - OMC - $80
MP 1 - HERO; caught on several bluffs tonight, also paid off a few times - generally an image between TAG and LAG - $130
MP 2 - Local grinder; winning player where this is his 'fun' game; very strong - $100
HJ - competent, but a little fishy - pushes mediocre hands in bad situations and can call down light
CO - @Ethan so I won't post my read here - $180
BTN - competent player but shades of a calling station and a penchant for donk betting moderate holdings out of position - $100

Of relevance, overall this game doesn't see many 3 bets, and 4 bets and beyond are very rare. A lot of a single open and then 4 field callers type of game.

SB posts .25
BB posts .50
UTG raises to $2
UTG + 1 raises to $5
UTG + 2 folds
Hero looks down at :as::kc:

Pot is 7.75

Action on hero

You were up on the night - better than I can say!
I was pretty pleased with how I fought back after my dreadful play on two hands depleted most of my stack... if I could only learn from my mistakes and not keep repeating them. Anyway - no more hijacking. I think I remember what I had on this hand, so I'll be watching.

Raise whatever size you think will allow you to isolate the $5 raiser. You cover him, have position on him, and want to clear out the people behind you.

Note also (assuming this goes heads up against UTG1) that he will have a low stack to pot ration on the flop, so this may be a 1-2 street hand at most. AKo seems to me like a great hand for that situation (as opposed to a medium pair or more of an implied odds hand).

Last edited:
I imagine most other comments on here will agree with the preflop action, just maybe a slight debate on exact sizing. Given Hero is in a middle position and needs to buy position for the rest of the hand and clear those yet to act, he goes for a chunky 4-bet.

Quick hand from last night with interest spot that I thought would generate good discussion. The outcome is interesting too, but it's more about the decision points/action leading up to it.

This is my normal monthly NHLE/PLO rotation cash game. This hand is NLHE. .25/.50 blinds.

SB - competent player whose leak is falling in love with pot odds, playing crappy cards, and floating things like bottom pair hands on the flop trying to catch trips/two pair - $150
BB - generally tight player who has just recently start loosening up in cash games. Usually has it in NHLE/new to PLO so overplays hands like two pair - $120
UTG - our maniac when he's drinking; at this point he's at moderate lubrication levels - $250
UTG + 2 - OMC - $80
MP 1 - HERO; caught on several bluffs tonight, also paid off a few times - generally an image between TAG and LAG - $130
MP 2 - Local grinder; winning player where this is his 'fun' game; very strong - $100
HJ - competent, but a little fishy - pushes mediocre hands in bad situations and can call down light
BTN - competent player but shades of a calling station and a penchant for donk betting moderate holdings out of position - $100

Of relevance, overall this game doesn't see many 3 bets, and 4 bets and beyond are very rare. A lot of a single open and then 4 field callers type of game.

SB posts .25
BB posts .50
UTG raises to $2
UTG + 1 raises to $5
UTG + 2 folds
Hero looks down at :as::kc: and RAISES to $16
folds to UTG who, after a large amount of hemming and hawing table banter CALLS
UTG + 1 CALLS

Pot is $48.75

Flop comes :ks::qs::5d: (I can't remember the last card exactly, but it was a low offsuit card.

UTG pauses for about five to ten seconds and then announces ALL IN, so effectively about $115
UTG + 1 folds
Action on hero.

I raise to 17 to isolate then reevaluate. Original raiser should reraise large hands and fold med pairs.

I think I want a call here.
We’re likely only behind KQs, or a loose call by 44. I fancy a maniac would shove pre with QQ+ or at least not spend a long time deciding.
Maybe most likely we are free rolling off a chop against another AK when we can redraw to the nut flush.

Hero can't fold top pair / top kicker to a moderately drunk LAG with an SPR less than three. This is the last decision point - hope for the best.

That sweet ace of spades gives hero some back up equity, but even without a runner - runner flush draw hero should snap off that bet from UTG.

No promises, but hero is getting the best of it -=- DrStrange

PS it would be much more gnarly if hero whiffs the flop. Top pair / top kicker on a low SPR flop should play itself.

I call as well vs that player description. It’s a pretty hefty overbet but it doesn’t really make sense to rip it in there with much that beats us.

If the flop was rainbow I would probably fold but because it is two spades I would call as there are multiple more draws available that he could be trying to fold you out with. Also have runner runner back door spades if he has flopped a set.

So I ran through what ranges could really be doing this, and outside of QQ (as I think he would have 5 bet pre with KK potentially and I partially block it) and KQ - its most likely various draws or combo draws (e.g. J10S, 109S, J10 with one spade, etc) and so I call.

Lets bring her home.

UTG + 2 - OMC - $80

SB posts .25
BB posts .50
UTG raises to $2
UTG + 1 raises to $5
UTG + 2 folds
UTG + 1 CALLS

Pot is $48.75

Flop comes :ks::qs::5d: (I can't remember the last card exactly, but it was a low offsuit card.

UTG pauses for about five to ten seconds and then announces ALL IN, so effectively about $115
UTG + 1 folds
Hero calls. Asks if they want to go once or twice (we allow twice when the pot gets above $50). Villain says twice and hero agrees.

Villain turns over :9s::6s:.

Villain rivers flushes on both boards.

Table erupts. Hero rebuys.

1659214701080.png

UTG + 2 - OMC - $80

SB posts .25
BB posts .50
UTG raises to $2
UTG + 1 raises to $5
UTG + 2 folds
Hero looks down at :as::kc:

Pot is 7.75

Action on hero
3bet UTG+1 is very strong, you won’t give us a read in player so hard to put him on ranges.

I probably call here, both for pot control and to under represent hand strength.

I imagine most other comments on here will agree with the preflop action, just maybe a slight debate on exact sizing. Given Hero is in a middle position and needs to buy position for the rest of the hand and clear those yet to act, he goes for a chunky 4-bet.

UTG + 2 - OMC - $80

SB posts .25
BB posts .50
UTG raises to $2
UTG + 1 raises to $5
UTG + 2 folds
UTG + 1 CALLS

Pot is $48.75

UTG + 1 folds
Action on hero.
Gotta call here I guess based on player description. He almost certainly doesn’t have kk, qq here. Could have kq (maybe) could have 55 (maybe) but would he play these this way? Could his range include straight draws, flush draws, worse pairs, (AQ, Kj, KT) etc…?

Gotta call here I guess based on player description. He almost certainly doesn’t have kk, qq here. Could have kq (maybe) could have 55 (maybe) but would he play these this way? Could his range include straight draws, flush draws, worse pairs, (AQ, Kj, KT) etc…?
Yeah...this was really my question on the hand. What types of hands does he make that move with into two players who were very aggressive pre. Wasn't sure if I was beating more of his range than I was losing to, or vice versa.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom