Progressive Pots - What works? (2 Viewers)

TheWhat

Flush
Reaction score
We are looking for a new wrinkle for our Home game. We play .25 / .50 NLHE. We already use a Dealer Button Game, and Hourly Bomb Pots.

So a progressive pot has been suggested. Likely framed around the classic Bad Beat pot. I don't mind managing the money, but I also want something that actually gets paid out. Ie I can't recall Quads over Quads ever. We just saw our 1st, 2 card Royal Flush last session.

If it is a Bad Beat Pot, any other thresholds that could be recommended?

Or ideas based around players throwing in a $1 or $2 at the beginning of every night?

We do splash pots. I take $1-$5 a pot, then every 45 minutes we throw it in the bomb pot along w the $5/ante. By then we have raised an easy $50.

Other people do splash pots, and play the hand face up, and deal it out to the river and someone wins a quick $50. No action, just deal it out face up. This is probably better because my bomb pots tend to break players $$$ and kills the game sometimes...

If you want a bad beat prize that's guaranteed to pay out that night, just track the biggest shown down hand that loses for the night. It might only be a king high flush, but it's the "worst" beat of the night.

Or you could do a high hand instead.

a .50/1.00 home game i've been enjoying recently has a high hand jackpot with a minimum qualifier (JJJJ in this case) that carries over if it isn't hit. basically it is $5 towards the jackpot to qualify per night, plus they also rake every qualifying pot one small blind towards the jackpot. it builds up pretty quickly, it is exciting when it gets hit, and it gets people to show up when it hasn't been hit in a while.

You could do a hot hand progressive. Choose 3-4 potential hand outcomes as possible payouts ie (less common the better)
-Strait or strait flush 2 to 6
-Full house using 2,3 or 4 (set) and 5, 6 or 7 (pair)
-Set or better Queens with a kicker value if 6 or less.
Or any other predetermined hands of your choice meet the criteria...then run a single day progressive to the same. I played in a game once where each player drew a secret card for a hot hand then kept it until played....if conditions met the card hand rules where each player had to pay out X amount to the winner. This made for an interesting game where players would call just to see a flop in the change to win the extra game...

Last edited:
Other people do splash pots, and play the hand face up, and deal it out to the river and someone wins a quick $50. No action, just deal it out face up. This is probably better because my bomb pots tend to break players $$$ and kills the game sometimes...

Just adding .02

For a no-action hand like this, I find it's way more interesting to play thermonuclear armageddon pineapple. There's no betting but we still have to act (discard) each street. So at least there's some decision making.

I don't do this periodically throughout the night but usually just do it with all the roundoff after cashing everyone out. Might be $5-$25.

Just adding .02

For a no-action hand like this, I find it's way more interesting to play thermonuclear armageddon pineapple. There's no betting but we still have to act (discard) each street. So at least there's some decision making.

I don't do this periodically throughout the night but usually just do it with all the roundoff after cashing everyone out. Might be $5-$25.
We cash out our "Scrubs" at the end of the night, everyone rounds Down to the nearest $5, and we throw it face up.

Where do I find details on this Pineapple game? We have a couple players that begrudgingly tolerate the Bomb Pot.

Just adding .02

This is great definitely going to add this

We cash out our "Scrubs" at the end of the night, everyone rounds Down to the nearest $5, and we throw it face up.

Where do I find details on this Pineapple game? We have a couple players that begrudgingly tolerate the Bomb Pot.

Taken from Abby's mixed games

Screenshot_20230123-204753.png

Pineapple is 3 cards but holdem rules. You can play 0, 1 or 2 from your hand. Not 3.

Standard Pineapple you discard one of your 3 preflop
Crazy you discard after you see the flop
Lazy you keep them all the way till the river

You could do a hot hand progressive. Choose 3-4 potential hand outcomes as possible payouts ie (less common the better)
-Strait or strait flush 2 to 6
-Full house using 2,3 or 4 (set) and 5, 6 or 7 (pair)
-Set or better Queens with a kicker value if 6 or less.
Or any other predetermined hands of your choice meet the criteria...then run a single day progressive to the same. I played in a game once where each player drew a secret card for a hot hand then kept it until played....if conditions met the card hand rules where each player had to pay out X amount to the winner. This made for an interesting game where players would call just to see a flop in the change to win the extra game...
Only pay out on show down?

So I funded out of pocket last outing to get us started. Nobody won with a 2 to 6 straight!

Group has settled on half the nights premium goes to High Hand, other half to Progressive.

Only question now, should we enforce must use both hole cards?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom