Poker Quotes (favorites, obscure, randoms, etc.) (1 Viewer)

I've heard that, years ago, at the Bicycle Club in California, there was table mostly full of regulars playing their usual game...

Abruptly, an older visiting player keels over. Paramedics are called and take him away. Likely a heart attack.

As the game is finally about to resume, one of the regulars calls over to the floorperson, "Larry, we've got one open - bring us a live one!"

"Poker among friends and colleagues should not drive anyone to the poorhouse but should be expensive enough to test skill and make it interesting."

-Harry S.Truman

I really like this one and have not heard it before, thanks for posting. Sort of like one of my all time favorite quotes that I use without shame every time I can because it's so true, when discussing wagers between friends on anything from golf to poker I love to say "whatever makes you nervous.". The size of the wager isn't important, it's how much that wager means to you. I like how Truman said it very cleanly, not enough to get hurt bad but also enough of a sting to make you care about, and even try to elevate, your play.

I think I've added a cool printed/framed copy of that quote to my want list for any future poker room I can put together.

I also hear that although Truman ran a pricey (for his time) game with a $500 buy-in, they also raked the pot to fill a "poverty bowl."

Anyone who lost their second buy-in in a night could rebuy out of the "poverty bowl."

"I had 43 outs and lost, what the fuck is that?" AKs vs 57s Flop: 4s 3s Kh Turn: Js River: #*&#%^!

After a night of not winning a single pot and constantly getting sucked out on when all the money gets in, the bad beat king of our game Donk Vadar suffers another beat...
.25/.50 with 7-2 bounty he gets it in with his flopped two pair 7-2off on (7-2-8) vs two people with AA! (He called a substantial amount of his stack off preflop in hopes of winning the bounty!)
Turn 3
River 8 to counterfeit his 2pair and Aces chop pot
As the two are chopping it up, Vadar looks around and says in his thick southern MD watermans grizzled voice
"Y'all got the shit up y'all's ass's tonight!"
That has since become a classic line in our game

2007 WSOP $5K PLO w/Rebuys

David "DevilFish" Ulliot vs. Burt Boutin

"That's the best way to do it, Get it in there with a piece of shit and get lucky buddy"
And
"A good loser are usually people who are used to it"

Rest In Peace, DevilFish

"All eeen!" (Hoyt Corkins, about 100x in a row in at least 2 tv tournaments.)

"All you can eat, baby!" (Men the Master's version of all in.)

"My fetish is chips. Someday I'll graduate to where they must be poured over my face, chest, and genitals for the ultimate orgasm."

Whatever turns you on! Aben Kandel in the 1970's Las Vegas novel, The Strip

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom