Pelican 1495 cash case (1 Viewer)

Dr. Matt

Two Pair
Reaction score
Thought For a minute I got some drugs in the mail so I figured I'd put them in my pelican 1495 ;) . Turns out they were my plaques to top off the cash set...more addictive than drugs o_O

IMG_3025.JPG IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3030.JPG IMG_3032.JPG

Thinking I need another one of these cases for my Cleveland tourney set. I'm happy with the layout.

Does the entire plastic rack fit in it or it has one built in

That's a nice case how does the outside look

Not sure it's worth five Makers Members Mark cases, each of which holds twice as many chips......

Last edited:
Not sure it's worth five Makers Mark cases, each of which holds twice as many chips......
It depends on what you’re looking for. I’ve eyed this case for a while because I think it’s just right for a single table cash set - 7 racks would fit, maybe 8. Unless I needed to transport a dozen racks or more, I don’t think I’d want a big tub of a case that’s over a foot deep.
But yeah, the retail price on this is crazy.

I agree, ideal size for my wants. Single layer is nice imho. Not having stacked racks to get to would be nice. I banked a bar cash game a bunch of times, using my pelican case (with double stacked racks). I repeatedly felt like a single layer would be nicer. But I agree, not nice enough to spend 5x the money.

Hi, a few more thoughts and info on this case as I really liked the fact that it was somewhat "flatter" than most other cases (I was really only looking for single layer of racks), had a nice look, and came with a strap...and pelican is cool, if somewhat overpriced :)

Undeniably, more value to be had with a member's mark. So,what follows is not about getting the best value, but how this specific case could work. Maybe have some members mark for storage and one of these to bust out for traveling to the high roller game ;)

Maybe I wasted an hour doing this, but there were a few people interested, and I would have found this useful as I considered buying this case.

As I mentioned the "lower profile" thinner case was what drew me to it. I think it is really ideal for a 6 or 7 rack single layer arrangement with space for card setup and button. I didn't plan or want to move racks off each other over and over shredding the foam and having racks out on the table. However, I believe THIS CASE COULD HOLD 12 RACKS and still close.

This case has 1 layer of pluck and pull and a separate deep/edge layer of 1 inch foam. You can see above and just below, I cut out a layer of the pluck and pull, and then to keep the rack from settling too deep cut the foam in half and placed it back in. The rack sits on it and snugs down in, leaving about 40% of the chip sticking up.
IMG_3040.JPG

If you set the rack in resting on the deepest foam layer, the chips are recessed even with the top layer as below, if you prefer that, but then you are reaching in to grab them.

IMG_3045.JPG

If you cut the deepest layer of foam (about 1 inch thick) to the base but leave it in, the rack can rest even deeper while remaining padded.
IMG_3055.JPG

Chips are recessed 1/2 in to 1 inch deeper that top layer.
IMG_3054.JPG

2nd rack stacked is more prominent than single layer of chips by about 40% and the top of the rack is above the top level of foam.
IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

Lid will rest open as expected.
IMG_3051.JPG

With one hand I can squeeze it shut (i.e. didn't have to sit on it)
IMG_3052.JPG

And can close the latches shut.
IMG_3053.JPG

This causes some strain on the top and bottom foam, obviously, and I'm assuming with time as the foam becomes indented it will close more easily. I'm not saying this is the ideal case for 12 racks, but I think it could do it without having to place the racks directly on the plastic and keeping everything well padded.

To answer @Trihonda 's question from the other thread, I do believe you could line 6 racks side to side along the back without intervening foam and leave the front portion of the case open. I do not think you would have to violate the outer foam layer either and it would cushion well. So you could get 8 racks single layer by putting 2 more in front with this arrangement. I think that would work very well.
IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

That's my 2 cents. Hope I didn't fry the server with all the photos...Thanks for looking. (y) :thumbsup:

Matt

Last edited:
Looks great - I have eyed this one and their other (maybe smaller?) laptop briefcase as a single-layer option for 6 to 8 racks. Thank you for taking the time to post your setup!

I have 10 full racks + 2 empty racks. I've talked myself out of converting a gun case. The Pelican 1495 is very interesting to me with the 4 latches, but I'll need 2 cases regardless for a single layer layout.

So I'm torn between either:

a) $197 total: Pelican 1495 w/ 8 racks + Pelican 1200 w/ 2 racks
b) $255 total: Pelican 1490 w/ 6 racks x 2

I drew up the options at www.mycasebuilder.com, prices are from amazon.com

The 1490 has only 2 latches, but they are the double-throw variety. I have a $200 gift card to spend on this, maybe I should just spend the extra $55.

I can't make up my mind, been bugged by this for a week now. Suggestions?

Pelican 1495:
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 11.24.33 AM.png

Pelican 1490 x 2:
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 11.23.44 AM.png

Pelican 1520 I picked up a year or two ago ..... easily holds 15 racks with enough foam to go around (including top and bottom). No one say its heavy, as you are just admitting to be a "Lil' Gurly Man" (y) :thumbsup: These pics were before I expanded the set into two cases with 15 racks each.

Case was $68 on eBay including the foam (deals can be found if you regularly check .... especially with a BIN option)

20150624_080043.jpg 20150624_080123.jpg 20150624_080248.jpg 20150624_080321.jpg

I have 10 full racks + 2 empty racks. I've talked myself out of converting a gun case. The Pelican 1495 is very interesting to me with the 4 latches, but I'll need 2 cases regardless for a single layer layout.

So I'm torn between either:

a) $197 total: Pelican 1495 w/ 8 racks + Pelican 1200 w/ 2 racks
b) $255 total: Pelican 1490 w/ 6 racks x 2

I drew up the options at www.mycasebuilder.com, prices are from amazon.com

The 1490 has only 2 latches, but they are the double-throw variety. I have a $200 gift card to spend on this, maybe I should just spend the extra $55.

I can't make up my mind, been bugged by this for a week now. Suggestions?

Pelican 1495:
View attachment 134678

Pelican 1490 x 2:
View attachment 134677

I did a similar set up but with a 1510 case. Enough room for $1k chips. Two buttons two cut cards and 4 decks.

276D5B10-324F-4C26-A164-9B4F4771B2FF.jpeg
C0A4512B-7694-47C0-98AE-67AC48DDFC45.jpeg
D5CC943A-A8B3-4562-BC5B-9D43C2888702.jpeg
0E19F502-A582-41FB-A4AA-4A5EA3A5F718.jpeg
79F54093-967A-4DE4-975F-EBEAE3DE7C93.jpeg

I'm really liking the idea of a single layer case
600-800 chips (probably 700 seems ideal) perfect for small game. Or 1 table tourney. Open lid and your done. All chips exposed ready for distributing

Nice and thin too, under 4" exterior height. just saw exterior is actually just under 5", still pretty thin.

Last edited:
I'm really liking the idea of a single layer case
600-800 chips (probably 700 seems ideal) perfect for small game. Or 1 table tourney. Open lid and your done. All chips exposed ready for distributing

Nice and thin too, under 4" exterior height. just saw exterior is actually just under 5", still pretty thin.
I think the only way to go is the Seahorse 710 with custom foam that rainman used for his Wynn set, seen here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ith-custom-seahorse-pelican-style-case.15588/

This thing comes out to about $100 with the custom foam (closer to $50 with pluck and pull) making it much cheaper than the pelican laptop cases. And I love that custom foam because I'd much rather put my chips right in there without racks. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get 800 in there.

I think the only way to go is the Seahorse 710 with custom foam that rainman used for his Wynn set, seen here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ith-custom-seahorse-pelican-style-case.15588/

This thing comes out to about $100 with the custom foam (closer to $50 with pluck and pull) making it much cheaper than the pelican laptop cases. And I love that custom foam because I'd much rather put my chips right in there without racks. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get 800 in there.

The Seahorse has very similar dimensions to the 1495. i like the look of the Pelican case a little more. Pelican is a little thinner too.

With all these cases i am not a fan of the pick and pluck. I like the more rigid foam, but looks like thats another $40 + which ever case you get. So maybe a used 1495 on eBay and splurge on new foam?

I know I am late on this thread. Is it better to cut it with a chip rack or without? I am looking to create my own case and I have about 3 different sets. I want a custom case for each

Is it better to cut it with a chip rack or without?
It all depends on how many chips you need to fit. If you add racks, you don't need foam between barrels, but there are two possible concerns:
  • if the rack is horizontal when you stand up the case, then each barrel is sitting on one chip that is only half-way supported in the rack (the strain makes me fearful of snapping a chip).
  • if the rack is vertical when you stand up the case, then each barrel is horizontal and resting on a rounded slope; wanting to fall out of the rack into the lid of the case.
I'm working on a case for my high denomination ESPT chip set, and want to protect my investment. I came up with the following in a Pelican 1470. I plan to use the spongy ester foam with the chips fully seated/submerged. The chips are about 39.25 mm in diameter, with a 39mm cutout for a snug fit. I'm hoping that the ester is spongy enough that a) the chips won't want to roll, and b) that I can compress it with my fingers on either side without needing cutouts to get the chips.
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 11.17.54 AM.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom