PCF Cigars (5 Viewers)

20220115_210333.jpg

Man this is a damn good stick

Cigar noobs! Giveaway!

I’m reorganizing and have 10 sticks that need a new home. All medium or bottom shelf but none with less than 3 years age, all should be quite good. First two people to reply here and pm me their address get 5 each.

I’ll let you decide if you qualify as a “cigar noob.”

Happy holidays!
Big thank you to @FestiveKnight for the "noob giveaway"! I'll be sure to post pics when I get a chance to enjoy these.

51780CD6-8FA9-4D3B-A27C-9E195D14F105.jpeg

A cigar forum I used to be really active on had people "bombing" each other all the time just sending surprises of sticks and Matt's generosity with chips inspired me to revive that.
Are you talking about /r/cigars? I used to read there a lot. Then Reddit made policy changes which drove all the cool people to 2 separate private forums, which I kept up with for a little while, but eventually stopped visiting sadly. This thread is giving me the ol' Reddit /r/cigars vibe! :)

Are you talking about /r/cigars? I used to read there a lot. Then Reddit made policy changes which drove all the cool people to 2 separate private forums, which I kept up with for a little while, but eventually stopped visiting sadly. This thread is giving me the ol' Reddit /r/cigars vibe! :)
@Lil Tuna has surprised me before. He's a great guy!

New to the forum, but not smoking cigars. Have only had a chance to read thru a few pages of this thread. I just hope I don’t end up spending as much on poker chips in the next couple of years as I have on cigars!
I can only afford so many hobbies.

Question. What is everyone’s preferred method of cutting their cigars? I started out with a straight cut and a guy I worked with convinced me to try a V cut. I bought a Xikar cutter and I bet I haven’t used anything else in 3 years more than a few times. Even on torpedos and perfectos. And I smoke at least one cigar a day.

Question. What is everyone’s preferred method of cutting their cigars? I started out with a straight cut and a guy I worked with convinced me to try a V cut. I bought a Xikar cutter and I bet I haven’t used anything else in 3 years more than a few times. Even on torpedos and perfectos. And I smoke at least one cigar a day.
Starting out loving the v, still do. I like to mix it up though. I like them all, punch, v, and straight. Let your mood decide as well as the shape and feel of the stick.

Prefer a V and Colibri V>Xikar V, I have both. Colibri cuts deeper, Xikar cuts wider. The Xikar is bigger and starts to jam up over time. The Colibri stays smoother. Sometimes I'll V-cut twice in a crisscross on a big ring gauge. Best advantage of the V is you can't really fuck up the cut.

1643347034342.png

I still like to mix it up. Small ring gauge <52 or triple capped or torpedoes = double guillotine (Xikar). The V doesn't cut deep enough on a torpedo and can make the draw a bit tough.

V for 52 RG to 60, but sometimes I use a punch when I get to 58 RG. Beyond 60 = punch. The real big RG you have to be careful you don't fuck up the wrapper or it can really mess up the whole cigar (my biggest cigar pet peeve because it ruins the whole cigar for me). Using a punch on these are much less likely to screw it up. I've found in the last few years that I don't go above a 60 RG. I've had so many 70s get completely messed up with the cut as the end starts coming apart, even with a punch.

On an aside note: the higher the RG, the less flavor you get because the wrapper is what provides the most flavor and it's burning at a slower rate. However, the smaller RGs burn at a faster rate and since I smoke a crazy amount each week, I have to factor in the money. If money didn't matter, I would smoke lanceros all the time.

I have 2 punches on my key chain just in case I don't have a cutter with me.

Let's talk favorite lighters and how to light a cigar next. I have some opinions. lol

Last edited:
Have a Colbri V cutter that I like a lot. That and the straight cut get the most use. Wow, I have a punch cut that I haven’t used in years! Thanks for mentioning it, have to give that a try on the next one.

Prefer a V and Colibri V>Xikar V, I have both. Colibri cuts deeper, Xikar cuts wider. The Xikar is bigger and starts to jam up over time. The Colibri stays smoother. Sometimes I'll V-cut twice in a crisscross on a big ring gauge. Best advantage of the V is you can't really fuck up the cut.

View attachment 853899

I still like to mix it up. Small ring gauge <52 or triple capped or torpedoes = double guillotine (Xikar). The V doesn't cut deep enough on a torpedo and can make the draw a bit tough.

V for 52 RG to 60, but sometimes I use a punch when I get to 58 RG. Beyond 60 = punch. The real big RG you have to be careful you don't fuck up the wrapper or it can really mess up the whole cigar (my biggest cigar pet peeve because it ruins the whole cigar for me). Using a punch on these are much less likely to screw it up. I've found in the last few years that I don't go above a 60 RG. I've had so many 70s get completely messed up with the cut as the end starts coming apart, even with a punch.

On an aside note: the higher the RG, the less flavor you get because the wrapper is what provides the most flavor and it's burning at a slower rate. However, the smaller RGs burn at a faster rate and since I smoke a crazy amount each week, I have to factor in the money. If money didn't matter, I would smoke lanceros all the time.

I have 2 punches on my key chain just in case I don't have a cutter with me.

Let's talk favorite lighters and how to light a cigar next. I have some opinions. lol
When I really started smoking quit a few cigars 4 or 5 years ago I bought a lot of 60 and 70 RG. I bet I haven’t purchase more than about dozen in the last couple of years other than some flat heads which I still smoke occasionally.
I pretty much have gone the other way. Mostly Robustos and just recently have been buying lanceros and Coronas. Like you mentioned a lot more wrapper to filler and binder ratio.
I do still buy quit a few toros from my favorite brand Southern Draw.

Why do you feel a V cut is superior?

Regarding "not messing up the cut" the Perfect Cutter resolves that for all but the smallest ring guages (think Purito here https://www.perdomocigars.com/10th-anniversary-champagne, or smaller), where it can overcut. Corona and up it works perfectly every time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom