Paulson suits / pips mold (grand cardroom) review (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I recently received this barrel from @Coyotesetter - he was looking to donate them to somebody with a set, and they’re still up for grabs. But I was pretty excited to finally handle this mold.
FAE19406-8BDB-4F4C-ACB9-A6092A9AECCA.jpeg

My intial impression was that they look great, feel great, handle great, sound great. As you may know, I’m a leaded THC snob. So I was expecting to dislike these because they’re neither. But the first impression was favorable - pretty similar to THC.
42B0785F-7A30-44AF-95A4-15FD5CE4F67D.jpeg

The biggest criticism is read about these and was eager to evaluate was that they’re slippery. First impression - no. They cut and stack great, they shuffle great, and pushing a stack around feels fine. So I would not call these chips slippery.
When compared to RHCs and THCs, it turns out they are the slipperiest of the three, so maybe that’s where that criticism is coming from. After sliding stacks of RHCs and THCs, I can say yeah, the suits mold is more slippery than the other two. Line up stacks on a surface and raise it slowly at an increasing angle, yeah, these suits molds fall first. Though it’s worth mentioning that a stack of Chipcos fared worst in this test.
I wouldn’t call them slippery - it’s not a concern. But yes, they’re more slippery than the two popular Paulson molds.
A close up suggests to me that RHC and THC might be slightly more aggressively textured, but also that the suits mold has a nice texture to it, which might not be noticed by the naked eye.
F2FF6FC4-A7AD-48C1-B3AE-78FE203CFBBD.png

Tough to tell much from a single stack, but I’ll say that these are pretty flat. Not perfectly flat, but flatter than any other Paulson hot stamps I’ve seen lately.

And other than that, what else is there? Aesthetics are subjective. I don’t care for the look of the suits. But the THC style protective ring makes them immeasurably prettier than RHCs to me. But that’s up to the individuals.

My bottom line is that these are great chips, worthy of being Paulsons. All factors considered, I’d place them between THC and RHC on my preference meter.
But while I have this stack, ask me anything.

I’d like to check these out when you’re done with them.

selling my PCR V1s is one of my top 5 chipping regrets. loved everything about them except the 25 - still hate the 25.

Card pips mold is easily my second-favorite non-house 39mm Paulson mold (1st-TH&C, 3rd-Paradise, 4th-Web for those that care). The order of those suits always tilted me, though.

It would have been even better (heavier and less-busy) with just a single suit debossed image between each of the four hat/cane images. Even just a pair of suits would have been preferred, maybe better (DiamondHeart - HatCane -ClubSpade - HatCane, repeated).

If I had the means and opportunity, I'd have GPI design me a custom 'house' mold.

I find that my PCR/Avalon mixed set shuffles and stacks beautifully.

And they also seem very durable, especially compared to newer RHCs. I’ve probably used them for 40-50 cash games, and honestly don’t notice any real wear… And I host a group of compulsive shufflers.

Does anyone know whether/how the “clay” formula for Suits (Pips) molds was different than other Paulsons? They do feel a little different, in a good way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom