Opinions about Tina's Greek Mold vs Card Mold (3 Viewers)

rbk

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm looking to currently build my first 600 chip set and in quite the dilemma between the Tina card mold and greek mold.

I received a sample set from @justincarothers and thought the greek molds were much more slippery than the card molds. However, looking through many posts on the forum, many people are saying the opposite thing. Could this be because the CM haven't been broken in yet and still have that factory feel (dust/chalk) to them? Does anyone have experience with the CM becoming slipperier over use?

I'm mostly concerned because I am hoping to use these chips for several years and don't want to regret purchasing one over the other. I also have a sample set of the CM Empires and Taj Mahals from Apache, are they from Tina as well? They are extremely slippery and had tons of spinners (when moving a stack of 10 like an all in they topple over every time). If the Apache ceramics are from Tina, I think I might have my answer...

Additionally, based on the 10 chips of the CM I have (not the Apache ones), I don't see a single spinner, how many spinners should I expect to see per rack for each of the molds?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am pretty new to this and would like to make the most informed decision as possible!

I don’t have experience with the Greek molds, but my Taj card molds have been through three nights of play so far and I don’t notice them getting slippery. There are spinners, but like I’ve said before, my group doesn’t care about that since they still stack fine in barrels of 20.

I don’t have experience with the Greek molds, but my Taj card molds have been through three nights of play so far and I don’t notice them getting slippery. There are spinners, but like I’ve said before, my group doesn’t care about that since they still stack fine in barrels of 20.
Did you get the Taj Mahals from Apache?

My Opinion:
Any Hybrid from Tina >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CM

Dont understand why anyone would be in a dilemma ..

I have a bunch of both. I definitely prefer the hybrid. As far as slippericiousness goes, the Greek Hybrid is more stackable out of the gate. Not sure if it will matter after years of heavy use. They could both end up being pretty slick.

I have a bunch of both. I definitely prefer the hybrid. As far as slippericiousness goes, the Greek Hybrid is more stackable out of the gate. Not sure if it will matter after years of heavy use. They could both end up being pretty slick.
Did your CMs get slipperier over time because the CM samples I have right now are a hair below BRPro chips in terms of slipperiness

Even if slippery I think Greek > CM
Is this more from a design/feel perspective or functionality?

Did your CMs get slipperier over time because the CM samples I have right now are a hair below BRPro chips in terms of slipperiness

They became a little more slippery after about a year. The ones I was shuffling every day became more noticeably so.

The bigger issue out of the box was the number of spinners per barrel. I had at least two for every barrel with the CM I received from Apache.

The Tina Greek Hybrids had zero spinners with the batch I received.

I also have quite a few from BRPro. I found zero spinners in theirs either.

I think the BRPro chips are a notch above any other ceramics I have used, but I do think you would get richer colors with @justincarothers chips, if you were to go custom Tina.

I’ve purchased from Apache, BrPro, and Justin/Broken Arrow and I found all three to be great vendors.

How are you defining or measuring slickness? For me the Greek mold hybrid have more texture overall. From the Greek mold design to the inlay for the label all add texture for me, that feels less slick in the hands. Sliding them across other chips seems like a wash to me if one is more slippery or not.

How are you defining or measuring slickness? For me the Greek mold hybrid have more texture overall. From the Greek mold design to the inlay for the label all add texture for me, that feels less slick in the hands. Sliding them across other chips seems like a wash to me if one is more slippery or not.
How stable the stack is when sliding them forward and backward on the felt. For example, the CM Taj Mahal from Apache will fall over about half the time with a stack of 10 chips, 10% of the time for the greek mold, and virtually never for the CM samples I got from Justin

Another approach was to see how prone the top couple of chips are prone to moving when a stack of 10 is tapped slightly at the bottom. The CM samples from Justin and BRPro did not budge one bit, as in the stack did travel a distance but none of the chips moved relative to each other. On the other hand, the greek molds and CM from Apache would not be straight after a couple successive taps.

I guess I'm just very surprised that the CM samples from Justin were very different from what I've read about them on the forum (tons of spinners and did not stack well) and was second guessing the general consensus. If all the Tina CM end up being like the CM from Apaches then I will be going for the greek mold!

How stable the stack is when sliding them forward and backward on the felt. For example, the CM Taj Mahal from Apache will fall over about half the time with a stack of 10 chips,

I don't experience that at all with mine. We slide stacks of 20 all the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom