Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (4 Viewers)

5aces

Full House
Reaction score
Hi,
I searched the forum, youtube and google to find a tutorial how to remove a Paulson label to replace it with a gear label, but I wasn't able to find something.
I tried to cut it off with a sharp cutter into slices but wasn't able to remove even 1% of the label. Maybe somebody got a tutorial how to do it?
Sebastian

Last edited:

Additions I have made:
- cut right to the edge of the chip and pop up the plastic
- use small pliers to pull up the plastic on top of the label (saves your finders)
- use a needle to get under the label and scrape it off after using the nail polish remover (saves the finger nails)

Another option is to pay @Gear to do the removal/replacement.

Thanks,
Grant

Made a promise on another site to not show the inlay destruction of these chips, but enough people have posed the question:

I chuckled at the category. :rolleyes:

1531783537869.png

Note that the layer underneath the protective plastic layer is paper on the chip in Burke's video, but plastic/vinyl in grantc54's thread.
Some tools/techniques are better suited to one type than the other.

Note that the layer underneath the protective plastic layer is paper on the chip in Burke's video, but plastic/vinyl in grantc54's thread.
Some tools/techniques are better suited to one type than the other.

This is very true. Using the nail polish remover on THC shaped inlays with paper was much more time consuming when I tried it.

Five and a half minutes per side...11 minutes per chip...times 1000 equals 11,000 minutes. 183 hours 20 minutes at my billable rate...$18,833.33 before the cost of the labels. That's a pretty expensive set of chips. Let @Gear do it.

My method has worked out to an average of 3 minutes per chip TOTAL (5 hours per rack), it includes:
- inlay removal
- chip cleaning
- chip oiling
- new label application

Still a bargain to have @Gear do it.

Grant

Another option is to pay @Gear to do the removal/replacement.

Thanks for sharing all these infos. I would love to pay Gear for this job, but I purchased the latest chips in Europe and they are already in Germany.

Shipping 20 chips for such a small project doesn't make sense to me. Next to that I am already a fan of gears work and I will order all labels for sure only there (laminated or unlaminated).

1 chip, 15 minutes per day, no money....mindless, free task needed to unwind that will keep me in the hobby for quite a while.
All about perspective

I also thought about this point, because I got only 20 to do...

Last edited:
5 Minutes for the first slice of plastic. How much is shipping to Gear and back?! Need to double check that...
The good news: I still got 10 fingers and no blood on the chip.
IMG_5898.JPGIMG_5899.JPGIMG_5900.jpgIMG_5901.JPGIMG_5902.JPG

Five minutes later. Plastic removed from 1st side. 4 minutes for the second side. Hard work!
Looking for nail polisher later. Wife and kids will arrive, soon. No need to tell them about my new hobby.
42D2A63B-2F32-4C3F-BBF6-0C51BB9CECE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Eek...I can remove a new label like the one above in just a few seconds. I can make a new video for ya.

Removing the plastic is the easiest part. I think you are approaching it wrong.

Get the blade underneath and just slice up a piece big enough to grab the plastic with pliers and pull it off the chip. I usually cut from the middle to the edge and pop a corner up and then grab and pull.

Look at the cut mark on the one chip to see what I mean.
20180628_214641.jpg

Here is an early chip I did where you can see what I mean about popping the plastic up to grab it (but now I do it at the edge).

20171014_142818-1.jpg

It should take seconds, not minutes.

Grant

Really?! I am afraid of cutting to far. That already happened 2 times.

Maybe try a sharper blade? You definitely need to go slow. I've done over a thousand chips now so have a lot of experience, I would suggest going close but not all the way to the edge. With the blade flat you should be able to push up on the plastic and pop the edge up (depending on how old the chip is).

Grant

Think I used a bit too much polish, but it worked great.
9AA926CD-35F6-4F63-895C-7C2E4A7FEA07.jpeg
Need some more chips to practice before I work on minty chips for my project, but with all your help I am pretty sure that I can do 20 chips (1 per day method) and save a lot of shipping costs for this small amount of chips.

Can’t believe that some of you did more than 1000 chips.

FB7D7783-C08F-402B-AC5F-1319F67DB801.jpeg

Removing the plastic cover:

Removing the vinyl/pastic inlay:

NOTE: Do this at your own risk!! Different colours react differently to the nail polish remover and many nail polish removers have different strengths. Even some non-acetone nail polish removers can damage chip material and fade chip colours!!

Last edited:
Removing the plastic cover:

Removing the vinyl/pastic inlay:

NOTE: Do this at your own risk!! Different colours react differently to the nail polish remover and many nail polish removers have different strengths. Even some non-acetone nail polish removers can damage chip material and fade chip colours!!

Can't see a video.

....sigh one a day? :unsure: @Gear 's service is worth every penny

There is no doubt about it.

Damn thanks for sharing. I will need to try nail polish to help my process relabeling my PdC chips! Here is a video with the technique I have used for newer chips. I have noticed that the sticker part will peel off easy when it is somewhat attached to the plastic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom