Open Face Chinese Poker OFCP Thread (3 Viewers)

Ah quite a timely bump of this thread as I'm hoping to host some OFCP in the coming month. Either 2-3 players including myself. Likely pineapple.
My question in on dealing. When dealing the first 5, or any subsequent 3 cards, do you deal in rotation like normal poker, or do you deal all 5 cards to a player then move to the next player for their 5 cards? Thanks!
I guess similar applies if a player gets fantasyland. Do they get all 13 cards in one go before moving to the next player.

Starting reading about this game and I have been self dealing it the last couple days. I really like it and want to use it when shorthanded. I have one question right now about fouling. If your back and middle hands are equal in strength, let’s say they both have two pair, but the middle is a higher two pair, is the hand fouled???

No foul. You can play, say, 9 high straights for both bottom and middle and it's all good.

Ah quite a timely bump of this thread as I'm hoping to host some OFCP in the coming month. Either 2-3 players including myself. Likely pineapple.
My question in on dealing. When dealing the first 5, or any subsequent 3 cards, do you deal in rotation like normal poker, or do you deal all 5 cards to a player then move to the next player for their 5 cards? Thanks!
I guess similar applies if a player gets fantasyland. Do they get all 13 cards in one go before moving to the next player.
I've seen it both ways. Typically, I deal in rotation, like a normal hand of poker. If they are in fantasyland, after the normal 5 are dealt, I deal the rest of their hand.

So once player A gets into fantasyland it is like a bonus round and continues with the same dealer until player A is no longer in fantasyland. What if during this “bonus round” player B reaches fantasyland. Does the bonus continue until there is nobody in fantasyland or just until player A leaves fantasyland?

So once player A gets into fantasyland it is like a bonus round and continues with the same dealer until player A is no longer in fantasyland. What if during this “bonus round” player B reaches fantasyland. Does the bonus continue until there is nobody in fantasyland or just until player A leaves fantasyland?
Dealer moves between rounds, there is no "bonus round".

If I get fantasyland, deal passes, all players get 5 and I get the extra cards. In theory, I set my hand (face down) before anyone plays. In practice, the person in fantasyland is usually so busy they just set their hand (face down) and the other folks play out as normal. When everyone is done, my hand is face up and we do standard payouts.

Anyone in fantasyland has to earn enough points in a single row to stay in fantasy land.

Dealer moves between rounds, there is no "bonus round".

If I get fantasyland, deal passes, all players get 5 and I get the extra cards. In theory, I set my hand (face down) before anyone plays. In practice, the person in fantasyland is usually so busy they just set their hand (face down) and the other folks play out as normal. When everyone is done, my hand is face up and we do standard payouts.

Anyone in fantasyland has to earn enough points in a single row to stay in fantasy land
Thanks. I have read versions of rules that say that the dealer does not rotate until the player who entered fantasyland can not maintain fantasyland on a subsequent hand. Anyone play this way?

Thanks, have you ever had another player also go to fantasyland as well on that next round? If so, does the dealer remain until nobody is in fantasyland or just until the initial player who reached fantasyland can no longer stay in fantasyland?

Thanks, have you ever had another player also go to fantasyland as well on that next round? If so, does the dealer remain until nobody is in fantasyland or just until the initial player who reached fantasyland can no longer stay in fantasyland?
Yes. I've always had the dealer remain until no one is in fantasy land.

That is how we play as well.

Generally it doesn't matter too much (just like the order of paying people out) , especially if it's just continuous play, where people can top up if needed.

However, in tournament style play, it does make a difference with regards to which people pay each other first, so button position can have a larger affect.

That is how we play as well.

Generally it doesn't matter too much (just like the order of paying people out) , especially if it's just continuous play, where people can top up if needed.

However, in tournament style play, it does make a difference with regards to which people pay each other first, so button position can have a larger affect.
What are your starting stacks for OFCP tournaments?

What are your starting stacks for OFCP tournaments?
We've only done a couple of tournaments, because long continual cash games are way more fun, hahaha.
It's also been a couple of years since the last tournament with old co-workers. I think it was something like start with 80 points each? Maybe it was 50 points? We did it shootout style. Winner advances. Random draw of 8 of us, so group1 was players a/b/c , group 2 was players d/e/f and group 3 was g/h Then the finals was the winner from each group, with starting points reset.

We also did a tournament for a meetup that @T_Chan hosted here. I don't really remember that one very well either, as it was years ago as well. I do remember a memorable moment when @mashoo was headsup with @grantc54 for the win, and mashoo pulled something like 3 of a kind on the last pull to foul. It was the only way he could foul.

We've only done a couple of tournaments, because long continual cash games are way more fun, hahaha.
It's also been a couple of years since the last tournament with old co-workers. I think it was something like start with 80 points each? Maybe it was 50 points? We did it shootout style. Winner advances. Random draw of 8 of us, so group1 was players a/b/c , group 2 was players d/e/f and group 3 was g/h Then the finals was the winner from each group, with starting points reset.

We also did a tournament for a meetup that @T_Chan hosted here. I don't really remember that one very well either, as it was years ago as well. I do remember a memorable moment when @mashoo was headsup with @grantc54 for the win, and mashoo pulled something like 3 of a kind on the last pull to foul. It was the only way he could foul.
Pulled 3 8s to force a full house in the middle with trips already set. My own mistake for not leaving a spot up top for a bailout with kings set with an ace kicker but I just happened to pull a ridiculous 3(?) outer to confirm a foul lol

When dealing the first 5, or any subsequent 3 cards, do you deal in rotation like normal poker, or do you deal all 5 cards to a player then move to the next player for their 5 cards?
It doesn't particularly matter. It's common in many card games to deal in "packets", e.g. if you're dealing five players ten cards each you might deal three at a time to each player (three cards to the first player, then three cards to the second player, etc), then another three at a time to each player, then four at a time to each player. This practice is, I believe, less common within the US than in other countries, but it's highly dependent on the local community that plays the game. The main reason for dealing this way is simply to save time when dealing large numbers of cards.

I have always wanted to teach this to my friends so that we can play something other than NLHE/PLO but I always had difficulty understanding how the point/$ distribution takes place.

The deal doesn’t rotate when playing four handed (i.e., dealer sitting out) until no player is in fantasy.

Scoring bottom, starting with straight:
2 (st), 4 (fl), 6 (boat), 10 (quads), 15 (SF), 25 (RF)

Middle is 2x bottom, starting with trips at 2 points (e.g., straight is 4, boat in middle is 12).

Top is +1 point for 66, increasing each rank (e.g., QQ is a lucky 7 points to get to fantasy, 222 is 10 points).

You need a 10 point row to stay in fantasy.

Looking forward to playing tomorrow at SQM!

Last edited:

In the game we play we followed suit with what pros were doing at the time which was to remove full house in the middle to get into fantasy land (too easy to get).

We also play that you get 10 extra cards in Fantasy if you have AA on top.

Hoping to get some OFC in this Sunday.

The deal doesn’t rotate when playing four handed (i.e., dealer sitting out) until no player is in fantasy.

Middle is 2x bottom, starting with trips at 2 points (e.g., straight is 4, boat in middle is 12).

Top is +1 point for 66, increasing each rank (e.g., QQ is a lucky 7 points, 222 is 10 points).

Anyone playing Forrest is mad at their money! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Top is +1 point for 66, increasing each rank (e.g., QQ is a lucky 7 points to get to fantasy, 222 is 10 points).

Yeah, you lost me lol.

In the game we play we followed suit with what pros were doing at the time which was to remove full house in the middle to get into fantasy land (too easy to get).
Not quite following. You only enter fantasyland if you have QQ or better on the top row without fouling. Do you mean that if someone was in fantasyland they removed that as an option to stay? If so, that seems odd, since to have a full house in the middle row you'd have to have a better full house, quads, or a straight flush in the bottom row (all but the full house on the bottom row would keep you in fantasyland).

Fire up the ofc app. I will play him. Truth be told we stopped playing much ofc and moved on to shut the box……
C06ABC51-EB43-4524-A1D6-FF3B98949EBC.jpeg

Like playing OFCP for money too. But had to shut the app down. Playing too much.

Not quite following. You only enter fantasyland if you have QQ or better on the top row without fouling. Do you mean that if someone was in fantasyland they removed that as an option to stay? If so, that seems odd, since to have a full house in the middle row you'd have to have a better full house, quads, or a straight flush in the bottom row (all but the full house on the bottom row would keep you in fantasyland).
I didn't do a good job explaining.

No full house in the middle to stay in fantasy. So trips on top or quads okn bottom.

Essentially taking out stacked full houses as an option.

I had these cut cards made with the help of @Eloe2000 ( design/ print) and @inca911 proof reading

I don’t have any to sell but will be giving away a few at SQM

There are more than a couple variants you can play.
I used the rules and scoring I play with.
I wasn’t sure about boat in the middle during fantasy land keeps you in fantasy land either.

771D885A-99DF-4258-BE4C-618BCE78DB80.jpeg

Basically all the points shown are royalties except the basic 1 point per row won and plus 3 for a scoop (win all 3 rows)

I had these cut cards made with the help of @Eloe2000 ( design/ print) and @inca911 proof reading

I don’t have any to sell but will be giving away a few at SQM

There are more than a couple variants you can play.
I used the rules and scoring I play with.
I wasn’t sure about boat in the middle during fantasy land keeps you in fantasy land either.

View attachment 862651

Basically all the points shown are royalties except the basic 1 point per row won and plus 3 for a scoop (win all 3 rows)
Will you be giving away any to those that are unable to attend SQM? :unsure: :cry:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom