Open Face Chinese Poker OFCP Thread (1 Viewer)

I don't think the bot is going to dig out of this hole. The new AI is much better, although it appears to have some uncanny luck.

View attachment 128095
I have been playing the new bot lately, huge improvement over earlier bots.

Attachments

• IMG_1366.PNG
    IMG_1366.PNG
    197.5 KB · Views: 248
What is the final consensus on the best app?

The app I use is bots only.

I downloaded "DH Pineapple Poker" on Android. I'm not really sure if it's good or not cause I haven't ever played the game or tried any other apps.

Me and a buddy are playing with a doubling cube, like in backgammon. We’ve been playing 20 hand sets for $5, and doubling doubles the stakes. I think it would be best at 30 hands but the app only does sets of 20 or 50, and 50 just was too many. Seems that most of the time the double isn’t accepted, but we’ve been pretty cautious as we aren’t totally sure about how to best utilize the cube.

It’s an interesting twist. We allow doubling at any point, so it can have some bluffing aspects.

Me and a buddy are playing with a doubling cube, like in backgammon. We’ve been playing 20 hand sets for $5, and doubling doubles the stakes. I think it would be best at 30 hands but the app only does sets of 20 or 50, and 50 just was too many. Seems that most of the time the double isn’t accepted, but we’ve been pretty cautious as we aren’t totally sure about how to best utilize the cube.

It’s an interesting twist. We allow doubling at any point, so it can have some bluffing aspects.

I am not familiar with Backgammon, can you explain how this works in context of OFC?

Thanks
Grant

I am not familiar with Backgammon, can you explain how this works in context of OFC?

Thanks
Grant

Normally, a game of Backgammon is 1 point to the victor. The doubling cube allows the stakes to be raised, by, as you guessed, double to 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. Initially, either player can double. If I double, my opponent can either concede the game or accept the double. Once I double, I cannot double again - only my opponent can next.

If you are using the doubling cube, you are playing a set of games to a certain number of points, achieved faster by the cube, potentially.

I'm sure @BGinGA would explain better and has a ton of strategy around it in Backgammon. :)

^ solid explanation, with exception of the "set of games" part.... the cube is also used for individual and multi-player cash games where there no set goal to reach a specific number of points...... just to win as many as possible. :)

One basic strategy point when using a doubling cube is that one only needs to win 25% of the time to break even on accepting ownership of the cube vs conceding the game.

A player finding himself in a 25% win position (a 3:1 dog) would lose net 4 points if he passed the cube each time in a four game sample. But if he accepted the cube in those same four games (now playing for 2 points each time), he would lose 3 games x 2 points and win 1 game for 2 points -- a net loss of exactly 4 points, same as if he passed all four times.

So the short version is double when you have any advantage, and pass if your winning chances are less than 25%.

Of course, it's not quite that simple in reality, since gammons and backgammons multiply the value of points won/lost, cube ownership has actual value (altering both the correct doubling and take points in a given position..... and match play adds yet another mathematical strategy layer above that found in straight-up games for cash or points.

Many strategy games can be improved upon by the introduction of a doubling cube. Not sure that OFCP is one of them.

I learned that you don't touch the doubling cube when you are playing against BG! That said, I think the cube could do more harm than good in OFCP. It's already a fast game, so there isn't a need to shorten a single lopsided game as it will be over in 60 seconds regardless....

We’re using it in sets of 20 hands, not using it on an individual hand. So whoever has the most points after 20 wins a set amount, not based on how many points they won by.

I think it’s analogous to backgammon in that you have percentage plays and can set things up to be in a good position to win but are ultimately at the mercy of the draw/dice.

It’s also a swingy game, so a seemingly large lead can evaporate in just a few hands. Personally I think the cube fits pretty well.

Played some OFCP after our league game tonight for a quarter a point. I got dealt AQKD with a 7 and 9 so of course they go on the bottom. Next draw I get the 10D, next draw the J. At that point I'm just thinking "do not foul!" and try to finish the hand without goofing it up.

Good for 24 points from each player since I wasn't really going to win the middle or top.

2017-12-11 01.31.30.jpg

Into about 4500 hands now against humans.

No bots allowed!!

My goal is to see how high I can get my RPH

I know I can't keep it this high, but a guy can dream right?

IMG_6936.jpg

Wow, I haven't played Chinese Poker in decades. I remember my grandma teaching me how to play when I was 8. In turn, I taught my almost my whole grade 5 class to play when I was about 10. Didn't know it was popular - I should try to learn these Pineapple Open Face rules.

Wow, I haven't played Chinese Poker in decades. I remember my grandma teaching me how to play when I was 8. In turn, I taught my almost my whole grade 5 class to play when I was about 10. Didn't know it was popular - I should try to learn these Pineapple Open Face rules.

Pineapple dramatically improves the game. After the initial 5 cards, you are always dealt 1 extra card, setting 2 and discarding one face down. It gives you a little more wiggle room to reach for bigger hands and a little more information as to what has been buried.

The only downside is it limits the game to just 3 players.

I am a huge fan of OFCP but my question is does anyone around play OFCP with 2-7 in the middle? My buddy and I have been playing this for years as it brings more action and more options for fantasyland. Even at dime a point we are running up quite a tally on each other!

I am a huge fan of OFCP but my question is does anyone around play OFCP with 2-7 in the middle? My buddy and I have been playing this for years as it brings more action and more options for fantasyland. Even at dime a point we are running up quite a tally on each other!

I’ve got a couple games running, they can get nutty for real

Having a blast playing with @MatB and @hoosierdonny
Donny might curse me for introducing him to the game.
I have some thoughts on a “mixed” rack for heads up/3 headed games.
What are you all using?
I know @inca911 is using racks of ones.
Any others out there doing other thing?

I use whatever chips I happen to grab. Recently bought a rack of TRKs just for use with OFCP, but in the long run, I'll use any chip I haven't had in play for a while. Since all chips are equal value, denoms dont matter, and different chips are fun for tracking who is taking your chips.

We just use all denoms...$100 buy ins....$.50/point...so we have $.50's, $1's, $5's and $25's in play.

@guyfleegman I absolutely HATE that you can't fold during this game...glaring problem for me...I feel you should be able to pay a pre-determined penalty, at various times during the hand, and be able to fold...still take cards, so the other players in the hand still see what comes out on the board...maybe if your starting hand has no paint, no pair you can fold for a dollar, or two dollars after the first draw...SOMEthing...it's such a helpless feeling when you're getting crap cards all night and just pay out every hand while other guys are pulling quads and straight flushes...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom