Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (34 Viewers)

So, I may have only broken even at the tables during S@P, but I scored on the whisky front. Found a couple amazing buys at Tower in Atlanta—thanks to my whisky mules, @Mr Tree and @ChaosRock for picking them up for me!

62609EB2-320B-430A-AEF6-DC86DD886C0E.jpeg

Well, considering the watered down version of Lot 40 is one of the most awarded Rye whiskies in the world, I think I will simply drink my statement . . . to your health, sir. You do not know what you are missing. But, like a good Canadian, I am willing to share.
Why would you want to mix it then?

Because a cocktail is primarily composed of alcohol. Rum and coke is not a cocktail. An Old Fashioned is a cocktail. And, when you start with premium ingredients, you make a good cocktail better.

I am perfectly willing to drink any brown spirit straight. But an Old fashioned or a Manhattan made with the CS Lot 40 is something to experience. Mind you, my preference for the Old Fashioned is actually to use Rare Breed. But we are talking about Rye.

I like you folks and all, but if y'all start looking north of the border at our Lot 40 Cask Strength, well, there will be . . . issues.

Best Canadian whiskey I ever had and definitely among the best Ryes I've ever had. Had the 12yo only btw, but from what I hear the 12>11. Not a good value for us Americans unfortunately. Secondary prices for those are pretty high. Still worth it imo.

Curious about those secondary prices . . . how much? Also, the 12 YO will be back this year. It is funny how different the two are in terms of profile. One year should not be that much of a change, imo, but there you go . . .

Also, if you like the 12 YO CS Lot 40, you should try the Wiser's 35 YO Whisky. That is simply a gorgeous dram.

Curious about those secondary prices . . . how much? Also, the 12 YO will be back this year. It is funny how different the two are in terms of profile. One year should not be that much of a change, imo, but there you go . . .

Prices fluctuate around $250/$300. The 12 more often than not commanding a small premium. It's a fantastic whisky, that's for sure. NOT a background drink if you know what I mean, LOL! I rarely go for background drinks anyways... Don't drink often but when I do, I like to focus on what's in the glass.

$250-300? Almost worth it for you to cross the border and visit the Distillery at those prices.

And I agree with you about drinking good whisky neat. You would probably also like Eleven Souls from Gooderham and Worts. Being in MI you should start seeing their Four Grain bottling showing up in stores soon, as it will be entering the US market this spring. It is a good basic whisky profile, but the four different grain types make it interesting.

We had our first taste of Red Spot Irish whisky here in Cobh last night -- superb! Now is it detectably different from Yellow Spot? Dunno, but we'll find out soon.

In Cork, Green Spot is 60 Euros, Yellow (12 yr.) is 90, and Red (15 yr.) is 120.

Last edited:
A question for @BonScot : Should one somehow find one's self in either Port Ellen or Campbeltown, how could one get to Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Is there any public transportation from the islands, or are rental cars easily available? Assuming, that is, that one can sober up sufficiently to drive...

Thanks for any tips!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom