Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (43 Viewers)

Mystery sample from @kmccormick100 . I warned him I really bad at this and I’m still a little congested so I can’t smell or taste that great but here goes

Nose: hot. Lots of ethanol. Maybe I’ll let it breathe for 10 mins. (10 mins later)
Okay it just needed to air out some. Still ethanol-y but I get some stone fruits cherries? Peach? And some apples . I don’t get a lot of oak but that could be my congestion.

Palate: nice mouthfeel. Slightly viscous and not annoyingly thin. Coats mouth well and Drinks like a 120 proof. Taste like oak, and something I can’t put my finger on

Finish: Medium finish. Very mild spice and pepper. Not much taste on the finish

Guess(es): when I opened the sample I smelled ecbp but after nosing and tasting it doesn’t taste like any EC I’ve tried. It doesn’t taste like anything I’ve really tried and I haven’t tried that much so that’s a wide range.

If I’m going to take a shot in the dark I’m going to say OF SiB. I’ve never tried it but based on what others said that’s what i imagine OF tasting like

Overall I think it’s pretty good. 7.5 out of 10. I would pay $110 for it.

View attachment 1104796
1B08015C-2ABF-4E1A-BA48-30B6FC206882.jpeg

Definitely get the stone fruitiness, there’s something almost creamy and floral too that I can’t quite pinpoint. It’s a little off-profile from most 4R picks I’ve had, but a tasty departure.

Which one should I get? Or both? Not sure how good the HH BIB is. View attachment 1105153
I’d probably get both. I’ve heard A123 is great and I’ve had other batches before that we’re very good. I’ve never had the HH BiB, but I’ve also heard it’s really good as well.

If there’s significant markup on either of them, it might dissuade me from purchasing. I think Larceny BP retails for $60 and the HH at $50

I’d probably get both. I’ve heard A123 is great and I’ve had other batches before that we’re very good. I’ve never had the HH BiB, but I’ve also heard it’s really good as well.

If there’s significant markup on either of them, it might dissuade me from purchasing. I think Larceny BP retails for $60 and the HH at $50
Yeah, I just paid retail. $49 for the HH and $63 for the Larceny.

So my son the bar manager just told me he doesn't care for the HH and thinks it's overpriced. He likes EC 94 small batch better, and it's much cheaper.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great reason to buy an EC small batch and put them up to a blind comparison :cool

We’re all about the science here :unsure::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
It would have to totally blind. As in me not telling him what they are - just asking which one is better? If I tell him what they are, he will instantly know which is which due to HH being slightly higher proof. I've tried giving him blind tastings before, and even if he doesn't guess what it is, he can always put them in proof order.

This is actually a great idea though, because normally he prefers high proof, so I might be able to trick him into saying he likes the HH better. But probably not as he will probably recognize the EC since it's his favorite lower proof whiskey.

I’ve now had just shy of 50% of a bottle of Handy in three days. And some Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 2. This is my new favorite hobby, finding value at bars.

I love Austin.

View attachment 1104808
How a KO batch 2. I have that bottle in the basement. I recall everyone praising batch 1, but not being as high on 2. Not sure how it ranks across subsequent batches

How a KO batch 2. I have that bottle in the basement. I recall everyone praising batch 1, but not being as high on 2. Not sure how it ranks across subsequent batches
I have batch 2 and 3. I prefer 3. Higher proof, 114 vs 101.8...

I wasn't willing to shell out the extra $100 for batch 4...fucking Stoli, money grabbing bastards!

Not sure if I’ve seen any Wilderness Trail posted. I finished me bottle and f this and went back for two more. This batch is a store pick, but I’d recommend grabbing a bottle if you see it. $65.99 in MA

Attachments

• A893152E-4899-4633-9185-6DF6E5B4036A.jpeg
    A893152E-4899-4633-9185-6DF6E5B4036A.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 29
Not sure if I’ve seen any Wilderness Trail posted. I finished me bottle and f this and went back for two more. This batch is a store pick, but I’d recommend grabbing a bottle if you see it. $65.99 in MA
Saw a couple of folks recommend it here so I snagged myself a bottle a while back. I have to remember to open it soon.

I’ve had the 5yr wheated BiB version and it was very good. If I ever see a store pick of any of their offerings, I will snap buy it….especially a cask strength pick! I think I paid $50 for my bottle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom