Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (28 Viewers)

Another man down! Just warming up the taste buds for tonight’s head to head with a couple of Russell’s Private Barrels
0A92771F-5AC7-4844-AE31-FB7494D76800.jpeg

BBNAGB update

so we are at 41 bottles so far. If you know anyone else to tag please do so.

wolfpack
4​
justdave
1​
krafticus
2​
gopherblue
2​
Billy baroo
4​
big jilm
2​
jonesey07
1​
saoliver
2​
poker zombie
1​
chutracheese
4​
indyscammer
7​
bluechipspecial
8​
pinkdan
1​
labmonkey
2​

Put me down for 2 please.

244B9191-A5B7-486D-B74D-8A571760470B.jpeg

C70F5B2B-B45C-4B8E-AA57-D9680DC1066F.jpegE4E1CA0C-8AEF-4507-B74E-165860E4EDF7.jpeg
Wow! These are both great and so different from each other that it’s hard to comprehend that they came from the same mashbill. Some of the differences are subtle and some are night and day obvious.

@wolfpack sent me the sample form the Stones River Total Beverages bottle. The initial nose on this was very ethanol forward compared to the other but it wasn’t harsh by any means. Light caramel and oak appeared after a little more rest time. There was a herbal tone there as well. After more resting time, the ethanol faded a bit and the caramel intensified. Great start! First sip reminded me of a barely legal rye rather than a bourbon and that suits me fine. This is very different from the more classic bourbon profile of my bottle. The vanilla, caramel and oak are there but they’re secondary to the rye forward flavor I’m getting in this. The finish is fairly long and surprisingly not as spicy as the nose and palate would suggest. This is a great contrast to my bottle and one I’d definitely drink repeatedly!

Oak and Cedar 2020…my bottle.
Initial nose is heavy caramel, vanilla and decent amount of oak. It only intensifies over time. Much lighter on the ethanol and the herbal scent is not there at all. Honestly…I can’t say which is better because it would really depend on what I’m in the mood for on that day. There is no mistaking this for bourbon upon first taste. This reminds me of Rare Breed with the rough edges smoothed out and the flavors intensified. Why they chill filter RB is beyond me, but that’s for another discussion. It’s finish is a good bit longer and it definitely is spicier as well. The finish on my bottle is the only thing that is significantly better than the other IMO.

These are both great and just goes to show how much variation you can get from different rickhouses. I’d gladly take another bottle of either and be very happy. The 2020 bottle that I have is my last of 5 that I bought. It is probably my favorite bottle I’ve had since my first taste of it and to find another Russell’s barrel that holds it’s own with mine is testament to the quality pour they’re producing for their Private barrels.

Many thanks again to
@wolfpack for the sample!

View attachment 912027

View attachment 912028View attachment 912029
Wow! These are both great and so different from each other that it’s hard to comprehend that they came from the same mashbill. Some of the differences are subtle and some are night and day obvious.

@wolfpack sent me the sample form the Stones River Total Beverages bottle. The initial nose on this was very ethanol forward compared to the other but it wasn’t harsh by any means. Light caramel and oak appeared after a little more rest time. There was a herbal tone there as well. After more resting time, the ethanol faded a bit and the caramel intensified. Great start! First sip reminded me of a barely legal rye rather than a bourbon and that suits me fine. This is very different from the more classic bourbon profile of my bottle. The vanilla, caramel and oak are there but they’re secondary to the rye forward flavor I’m getting in this. The finish is fairly long and surprisingly not as spicy as the nose and palate would suggest. This is a great contrast to my bottle and one I’d definitely drink repeatedly!

Oak and Cedar 2020…my bottle.
Initial nose is heavy caramel, vanilla and decent amount of oak. It only intensifies over time. Much lighter on the ethanol and the herbal scent is not there at all. Honestly…I can’t say which is better because it would really depend on what I’m in the mood for on that day. There is no mistaking this for bourbon upon first taste. This reminds me of Rare Breed with the rough edges smoothed out and the flavors intensified. Why they chill filter RB is beyond me, but that’s for another discussion. It’s finish is a good bit longer and it definitely is spicier as well. The finish on my bottle is the only thing that is significantly better than the other IMO.

These are both great and just goes to show how much variation you can get from different rickhouses. I’d gladly take another bottle of either and be very happy. The 2020 bottle that I have is my last of 5 that I bought. It is probably my favorite bottle I’ve had since my first taste of it and to find another Russell’s barrel that holds it’s own with mine is testament to the quality pour they’re producing for their Private barrels.

Many thanks again to
@wolfpack for the sample!
I am eager to get your sample and try both to compare notes

I have not had any old forester
We must rectify this. I use to have everything, but didn’t replace the Statesman or 1870 when I finished them. They were ok. But I love the rest. Also, don’t have the 86 proof.

Let me figure out which samples I’ll send to you. Maybe everything that I have for you to run a blind tasting. :unsure:

If I had to rank Old Forester neat. I would say this:

1. 1920
2. 1897
3. Statesman

However, I have not yet cracked my Barrel Strength Single Barrel. Thamks again @Saoliver !
Based on taste alone:

1. Barrel Strength SiB Rye :cool
2. Barrel Strength SiB Bourbon
3. 1920
4. 1897
5. 1910
6. 100 proof bourbon
7. Statesman
8. 1870

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom